Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Knew it wouldn't take long for someone to come up with this type of comment. Getting too predictable, lads! ;)

Chelsea only won 4 home games this season.
    They beat the bottom 3 and guess who else?

I'd sell Theo, Gibbs and Mert for sure.
    They are the players who I saw chicken-out of challenges or turn their backs to the ball throughout the season. We need brave wholehearted players.

Can only think of one poor game Gibbs played all season. I know he doesn't have bravery, or courage, but hey.....even Kos turns away from the ball.

If we get rid of Gibbs, then we have to get in someone better than Monreal as his replacement, otherwise we are hardly improving the squad.

Point is, we have much bigger things to worry about than our backup left back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Can only think of one poor game Gibbs played all season. I know he doesn't have bravery, or courage, but hey.....even Kos turns away from the ball.

If we get rid of Gibbs, then we have to get in someone better than Monreal as his replacement, otherwise we are hardly improving the squad.

Point is, we have much bigger things to worry about than our backup left back.

Really? October time he was in awful form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id get rid of Theo for a start, he's offering nothing in games and is taking a huge pay packet so if someone offered something for him id gladly accept. Gibbs will be kept as backup to Monreal which is fair enough. Id nearly be rid of Ox too but as he's homegrown he will be kept to fill the quota.
    After that who's out of contract? Rosicky, Flamini and Arteta are surely finished. And then who's back to us, Debuchy, Jenks, Hayden and Akpom though the last 2 will probably go out on loan again. It will be interesting to see if Chesney is kept on or is Ospina happy to play second fiddle again.

I would go with Ospina over Chez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

mansize wrote: »
    I would go with Ospina over Chez

That's not even a question for me.

Arteta, Flamini, Gibbs, Theo, see yis later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Spurs could fall apart bans and all. We could pip them yet.

JustTheOne wrote: »

They will need their open top bus to take their players to the disciplinary hearing.:D

Gibbs will be kept for the same reasons as Ox. I feel Walcott has had enough chances at this stage but Wenger will probably make him club captain...

To be honest, Totteringhams day wouldn't rectify this train wreck of a season.

EDIT: i say that but heres the famous link anyway :)

http://www.haveyoueverseentottenhamwintheleague.com/

• Advertisement

And there it is, crazy achievement, fair play to Leicester

They will need their open top bus to take their players to the disciplinary hearing.:D

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Congrats Leicester. Totally deserved, what an achievement. Probably won't see the likes of it again.

Spurs meltdown is fcuking hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I don't care about tonight. How the Gunners didn't win the league this year is a complete disgrace. ****ing shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

gebbel wrote: »
    I don't care about tonight. How the Gunners didn't win the league this year is a complete disgrace. ****ing shocking.

Let's just enjoy Spurs meltdown tonight, we have a whole summer to focus on ourselves

unless they are docked points its over.

We beat city and we'll get 2nd. Spurs will be broken and have 2 tricky games, Southampton home and Newcastle away.

Not that 2nd is an achievement but it would destroy the poor old Spurs fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mental scenes at the end of the game at Stamford Bridge what happened there?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Mental scenes at the end of the game at Stamford Bridge what happened there?

That's what happens when you put 22 wan....

Never mind.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    No, we'd be 3rd on goal difference- it's over
    We beat city and we'll get 2nd. Spurs will be broken and have 2 tricky games, Southampton home and Newcastle away.

Not that 2nd is an achievement but it would destroy the poor old Spurs fans.

No we'd be 3rd on Goal difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ye will go down in history for beating Leicester home and away this season :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ye will go down in history for beating Leicester home and away this season :cool:

Arsenal will be remembered for plenty of things. Being the only team to put it up to the league winners this season won't be one of them though.

No we'd be 3rd on Goal difference

I didn't give predictions but anyway you're forgetting we play villa at home on last day. Spurs will drop more points. Beating city is a must, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

omega man wrote: »
    I didn't give predictions but anyway you're forgetting we play villa at home on last day. Spurs will drop more points. Beating city is a must, obviously.

A draw and a win would do if Spurs lose both.

Could see that happening with Spurs. Totally deflated, no Ali, Dembele, maybe one or 2 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Congratulations to Leicester! Now i thought about this but could not decide..

Was the title won at Old Trafford or Stamford bridge? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

5star02707 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Leicester! Now i thought about this but could not decide..

Was the title won at Old Trafford or Stamford bridge? :P

Stamford Bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spurs to crumble and Arsenal to clinch 2nd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Even though this season has been depressing that would at least bring a smile:)

Tbh even if we finish above spurs I'd still take their effort over our limp pitiful excuse any day of the week. Taking off the Arsenal tinted goggles, credit where due Spurs have improved considerably and are on the up. Im not even sure where we go from here but I can't see Wenger ever winning a league or coming close to winning one with Arsenal again.

Tbh even if we finish above spurs I'd still take their effort over our limp pitiful excuse any day of the week. Taking off the Arsenal tinted goggles, credit where due Spurs have improved considerably and are on the up. Im not even sure where we go from here but I can't see Wenger ever winning a league or coming close to winning one with Arsenal again.

But seriously...you have to put things in perspective. We have had a shocking season, and they have had their best in a long long time. They will end up on around the same points as us.

Will they improve going forward? Who knows. They have the potential to, but this season might be their peak and they're back to mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Spurs to crumble and Arsenal to clinch 2nd?
    Even though this season has been depressing that would at least bring a smile:)

Honestly if Wenger can get us 2nd above Spurs he deserves to stay.

C'mon fcukers bite :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

But seriously...you have to put things in perspective. We have had a shocking season, and they have had their best in a long long time. They will end up on around the same points as us.

Will they improve going forward? Who knows. They have the potential to, but this season might be their peak and they're back to mediocrity.

Regardless of what kind of a season we have had (****,good,bad) or they have had, they've had a better one than us and will finish higher than us In the premier League.

Or the beginning of them being a very successful English club? Probably the more likely all things considered. So what's your perspective? Spurs were a better team than us this year and look like they'll be better next year too.

Regardless of what kind of a season we have had (****,good,bad) or they have had, they've had a better one than us and will finish higher than us In the premier League.

Or the beginning of them being a very successful English club? Probably the more likely all things considered. So what's your perspective? Spurs were a better team than us this year and look like they'll be better next year too.

Fancy a wager on who is higher on the table at the end of next season?

Fancy a wager on who is higher on the table at the end of next season?

Excellent rebuttal. I don't gamble.

Excellent rebuttal. I don't gamble.

Nor do I, but willing to make an exception :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'd say you've had your usual season, half good and half bad and pretty much the same points total.

LostArt wrote: »
    I'd say you've had your usual season, half good and half bad and pretty much the same points total.

I'm basing this more on the way that people talk about our corresponding seasons.

I wouldn't say we've had a shocking one, but have definitely underperformed, based on the players at our disposal.

Tbh if they keep hold of pottechino I can see them building on this season. However competition increases next year with Pep, Conte, Klopp and possibly Mourinho involved.

We'll find it tough unless Wenger changes or a new manager like Simeone comes in

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's anyone's guess how Spurs will fare next season alright.

You don't need a crystal ball to predict how our season will go though.

It's anyone's guess how Spurs will fare next season alright.

You don't need a crystal ball to predict how our season will go though.

A coin would do the job, see which will be the good half.

• Advertisement

Just looking at the Bayern v Athletico game there. Griezeman is the type of player we would of signed 6 or 7 years ago. Instead we are stuck with the likes of Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain :pac:

Terriffic player and wouldnt have cost Ath Madrid that much.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just looking at the Bayern v Athletico game there. Griezeman is the type of player we would of signed 6 or 7 years ago. Instead we are stuck with the likes of Walcott and Oxlade Chamberlain :pac:

Terriffic player and wouldnt have cost Ath Madrid that much.

He's like a cobra, quick and dangerous. Love players like that.

He's like a cobra, quick and dangerous. Love players like that.

In the Bobby Pires mould.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If we had signed him he would now be an injury prone, inconsistent, so-so player most probably

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Ath. Madrid are what Arsenal should be. All the potential to win leagues and progress deep into the CL without the backing of crazy oil money or reckless spending. But we are not and we have a hell of a lot more resources than they do.

They just choose to play like a team that are focused on winning things. We play like a team of footballers who have decided that their paycheck is as good as it's going to get and couldn't be arsed trying anymore.

Someone give that man a medal ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Hyzepher wrote: »
    We play like a team of footballers who have decided that their paycheck is as good as it's going to get and couldn't be arsed trying anymore.

A la Walcott

Ath. Madrid are what Arsenal should be. All the potential to win leagues and progress deep into the CL without the backing of crazy oil money or reckless spending. But we are not and we have a hell of a lot more resources than they do.

They just choose to play like a team that are focused on winning things. We play like a team of footballers who have decided that their paycheck is as good as it's going to get and couldn't be arsed trying anymore.

Excellent post. You could also look more closely to home with what Leicester City have achieved. Passion, Aggression, Hunger, Bottle and a bit of class and you can get to the very top in the game. Unfortunately we lack most, if not all of the above ingredients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. What Athletico (and Leicester) is acheiveing is very special, but I don't think it should be used to beat Arsenal with.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. What Athletico (and Leicester) is acheiveing is very special, but I don't think it should be used to beat Arsenal with.

Of course you don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement