Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Of course you don't.

Come on Ken, that response is as lazy as a Walcott attempt at a tackle. You can do better than that - unless you're the Walcott of this thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

greendom wrote: »
    Come on Ken, that response is as lazy as a Walcott attempt at a tackle. You can do better than that - unless you're the Walcott of this thread ?

Sell 'im!

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. What Athletico (and Leicester) is acheiveing is very special, but I don't think it should be used to beat Arsenal with.

But at the very least should we not expect professional footballers to care about their performance and actually have the desire to win?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    But at the very least should we not expect professional footballers to care about their performance and actually have the desire to win?

I think in the main they do. Not 100% of the time though and that's the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I just can't be arsed with It to be honest, so tiresome, you have your way and It won't change regardless of what I say.
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sell 'im!

:D

Pay me what he's getting and I'll be responding with 10 page essays to every ****ing comment on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I just can't be arsed with It to be honest, so tiresome, you have your way and It won't change regardless of what I say.

Pay me what he's getting and I'll be responding with 10 page essays to every ****ing comment on here.

But he's completely right.

Simeone is unbelievable. Leicester are a freakshow. Throw in Jose's Porto and Dortmund and you've the four most overachieving teams in the last decade or so.

3 of those were down to manager but so many managers have come and gone across Europe that it's a bit unfair to compare Wenger to them.

It's like saying Walcott should be more like Messi/Ronaldo. But that's silly.

What you need to say to Walcott is that he should be mote like himself but not jumping out of tackles and playing with some cop on instead of running the ball into people and then falling over.

Similarly, Wenger's fault isn't that he's not Simeone or Klopp, it's that he used to be THAT manager but now with a load of resources and a fixed squad, he isn't managing to improve the team at all.

When Wenger was in his pomp, I don't recall Arsenal fans deeming everyone else a failure, just that we were lucky to have a very special manager.

Wenger's not that manager any more and I really hope the next one is. However I think that a group mentality of change manager = Atletico or get players to try harder = Leicester is taking hold.

The reality will be far from it. Even Spurs who after 20 years of the course that people want us to immediately embark on have never finished above our underachieving manager. They finally look to have gotten someone good but just bottled 2 good leads to give up the title race early.

The grass will be different but probably not greener. I'm sickened we didn't get Klopp last year.

gosplan wrote: »
    But he's completely right.

Simeone is unbelievable. Leicester are a freakshow. Throw in Jose's Porto and Dortmund and you've the four most overachieving teams in the last decade or so.

3 of those were down to manager but so many managers have come and gone across Europe that it's a bit unfair to compare Wenger to them.

It's like saying Walcott should be more like Messi/Ronaldo. But that's silly.

What you need to say to Walcott is that he should be mote like himself but not jumping out of tackles and playing with some cop on instead of running the ball into people and then falling over.

Similarly, Wenger's fault isn't that he's not Simeone or Klopp, it's that he used to be THAT manager but now with a load of resources and a fixed squad, he isn't managing to improve the team at all.

What he said was the success of managers and teams who have far less resources than us should not be referred to when assessing Wenger's body of work. It should be. He has been under achieving for years now.

The success of Athletico etc Is simply a reminder of what a solid team of players are capable of doing when they are managed correctly both on and off the pitch.

As for Walcott? what relevance does he have when you're comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo? He was never and will never be at that level. Tell Walcott he should be more like himself? He Is being himself though and that's the problem...

We all know Wenger Is failing the team the club and himself as you essentially just said yet some people on here get upset whenever someone says something to that effect.

I understand It's tiring listening to people piss and moan about the same stuff on here everyday but doing the exact opposite especially considering there Is actual reason to piss and moan Is just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ken, seriously, if you want to compare Wenger's success to that of other managers, he comes out on top of all but a tiny, tiny fraction.

What he said was the success of managers and teams who have far less resources than us should not be referred to when assessing Wenger's body of work. It should be. He has been under achieving for years now.

The success of Athletico etc Is simply a reminder of what a solid team of players are capable of doing when they are managed correctly both on and off the pitch.

As for Walcott? what relevance does he have when you're comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo? He was never and will never be at that level. Tell Walcott he should be more like himself? He Is being himself though and that's the problem...

We all know Wenger Is failing the team the club and himself as you essentially just said yet some people on here get upset whenever someone says something to that effect.

I understand It's tiring listening to people piss and moan about the same stuff on here everyday but doing the exact opposite especially considering there Is actual reason to piss and moan Is just as bad.

My intention was much closer to Gosplan's interpretation than yours.

As I said if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Simeone has performed miracles at the Vicente Calderón just as Ranieri has at the Kingpower.

I've also said a few times before that Wenger's time is up. That doesn't mean I have to give in to all the pessimism that pervades this thread.

See that's it right there for me.

You say 'managed correctly' whereas for me it's 'managed unbelievably amazingly freakishly well'

Simeone is ridiculously good. It's phenomenal management.

I guarantee our next manager won't be able to do it.

• Advertisement

Tbh even if we finish above spurs I'd still take their effort over our limp pitiful excuse any day of the week. Taking off the Arsenal tinted goggles, credit where due Spurs have improved considerably and are on the up. Im not even sure where we go from here but I can't see Wenger ever winning a league or coming close to winning one with Arsenal again.

This!

Anyway, look at it this way Ken.

At least we're just arguing about which stick to beat Wenger with.

I mean we're all close to the same position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kante now linked :(

Sure he did a brilliant job in a team with around 35% of the ball, but no way does he make it in a team with 60% of the ball. Dont even rate Coquelin that much but think Coquelin would be playing unreal for Leicester too. We need a ball playing midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Hopefully City put in another performance like that at the weekend.

It'll be nil nil won't it :-(

Kante now linked :(

Sure he did a brilliant job in a team with around 35% of the ball, but no way does he make it in a team with 60% of the ball. Dont even rate Coquelin that much but think Coquelin would be playing unreal for Leicester too. We need a ball playing midfielder.
    He could well be playing for France in the Euros so we'll get a better idea of what he's like with plenty of the ball this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Well lads, from what I saw of City tonight I really think we can do the business on Sunday. Throw in Spurs suspensions with their fixtures and second spot isn't out of the question. OK it's not the title, but I'll take it at this stage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We don't need someone to come in and do a Simeone-type job to be successful. Our rivals with greater resources are in total disarray. It's a large part of what makes this season such a massive failure on Wenger's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There's is really little or no consolation to finishing ahead of spurs something we have done every year

There's is really little or no consolation to finishing ahead of spurs something we have done every year

Honestly, at this stage, it would be f**king hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I really wanna beat city purely so pep has to sit the champions league out next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

bad2dabone wrote: »
    If Spurs finish below arsenal, Poch deserves the sack

Haha given how we're playing I'd say that's impossible. Although it would bring a small smile to our faces to finish ahead of spurs
    We may actually finish above spurs lol.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ken, seriously, if you want to compare Wenger's success to that of other managers, he comes out on top of all but a tiny, tiny fraction.

It's so telling that that's all you've been able to take from what I said. I mean considering the only thing that matters right now Is how good managers are right now! (History Is irrelevant) then no, Wenger does not come out on top, In fact he never comes out on top. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

RMC & L'Equipe are saying Arsenal reps have met with N'Golo Kanté's entourage on several occasions. Arsenal intend to pay the player's release clause of €25m.

RMC are pretty reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    RMC & L'Equipe are saying Arsenal reps have met with N'Golo Kanté's entourage on several occasions. Arsenal intend to pay the player's release clause of €25m.

RMC are pretty reliable.

I've also read that there are multiple interested parties.

L'prof wrote: »
    I've also read that there are multiple interested parties.

Yeah Chelsea and City.
    Leicester are also offering a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think Leicester will hold onto their big players for another year at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »

I wonder how much Diaby's departure impacted on that figure ?!

I wonder how much Diaby's departure impacted on that figure ?!

Not too much as he was out for long periods with the same Injury as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Not too much as he was out for long periods with the same Injury as far as I know.
    The number of injuries isn't relevant to that stat, it's days lost. He was effectively out for the season, so about 250 days were Diaby alone.

The number of injuries isn't relevant to that stat, it's days lost. He was effectively out for the season, so about 250 days were Diaby alone.

Ahhh got ya! Still a pretty big improvement though.

Ahhh got ya! Still a pretty big improvement though.

Diaby was out for a pretty long time!

Diaby was out for a pretty long time!

Aye, If he was still with us and missed everyday It would still be an improvement of 500 days on last year about 30%. Pretty significant.

I wouldn't mind Kante but we need goals goals goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd rather Mahrez, now that I could get excited about.

• Advertisement

I'd rather Mahrez, now that I could get excited about.

I'd get Lacazette. 24, hit 20 goals for the last 3 seasons and is a decent finisher.

That's all we need. An actual finisher.

Higuain would be good too.

I guess Abumeyang would be but I haven't seen him much.

Wenger needs to stop being so picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I'd like to get Higuain. He has 30 goals this season in Serie A. That doesn't happen very often. And he's not even playing with the best team in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd like to get Higuain. He has 30 goals this season in Serie A. That doesn't happen very often. And he's not even playing with the best team in that league.

Deja vous.

I actually think if you dropped him into the team and did nothing else, we'd stand a huge chance of winning a league.

Will Wenger go back and admit he was wrong while blowing loads on a player with no resale value?

Although in Wenger's defence I think he saw the Suarez thing as a formality.

If you want an established striker who you could almost guarantee would get you 25ish goals a year then your most likely looking at a select few, most of whom would have no resale value, thats not the type that Wenger would go for though.
    If its a younger version then Abumeyang looks to be one of the best options but would be a huge price
    Id love Higuian though, his goalscoring record is excellent, 107 in 190 apps for Real, 67 in 104 apps for Napoli and 25 in 54 for Argentina, wonder what kind of money it would take to get him/ He's young enough yet at 28

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    If you want an established striker who you could almost guarantee would get you 25ish goals a year then your most likely looking at a select few, most of whom would have no resale value, thats not the type that Wenger would go for though.
    If its a younger version then Abumeyang looks to be one of the best options but would be a huge price
    Id love Higuian though, his goalscoring record is excellent, 107 in 190 apps for Real, 67 in 104 apps for Napoli and 25 in 54 for Argentina, wonder what kind of money it would take to get him/ He's young enough yet at 28

He has a outrageous buyout clause. Something like €100M.

safe enough so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Higuain would be my first choice again. Failing that we should snap up Icardi now.

He's turned down an extension though. Napoli need to sell him this summer I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Pulled out of the deal for him a few years back over a measley few million euros. Were that mean we count our money in the mirror.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Pulled out of the deal for him a few years back over a measley few million euros. Were that mean we count our money in the mirror.

Was that the same window we picked up Ozil for a couple of million?

Wenger would admit to being the nutty professor if he went back for a player he refused to buy a few years ago and now pay even more than he refused to go then. Won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Why wouldn't he ? Sure weren't we supposed to be in for Ozil before he went to Madrid

Why wouldn't he ? Sure weren't we supposed to be in for Ozil before he went to Madrid

Don't think so.

Don't think so.

We were.
    Ozil even called up Wenger to apologize after he signed with Madrid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement