Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We were.
    Ozil even called up Wenger to apologize after he signed with Madrid.

Did he put a bid in for him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Did he put a bid in for him though?

Most likely we did.
    I can't really remember though.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ox out for 6-8 weeks again. Poor lad is made of biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ox got injured against Barca if i remember correctly? We had a great chance to break up the pitch and he managed to kick the ball 40 feet ahead of himself and clatter into Alba or someone. Like a few of our players Ox had a year to forget. Always seems to play well for England though so its disappointing for him to miss out on the Euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If we were going to go all out for someone, I think I would prefer Muller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ox got injured against Barca if i remember correctly? We had a great chance to break up the pitch and he managed to kick the ball 40 feet ahead of himself and clatter into Alba or someone. Like a few of our players Ox had a year to forget. Always seems to play well for England though so its disappointing for him to miss out on the Euro's
    When he he should of put özil in, but decided to over play it and got smashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ox at his best is something we've really missed over the last few games. Someone to run powerfully at defenders and disrupt their lines, freeing up space for Ozil and Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Higuain ship has sailed unless he's available at a semi reasonable price imo.

Would be looking moreso at Auba/Lacazette/Icardi and try to develop them into that world class striker we want. Auba's there or thereabouts already I'd say.

Looking at the top clubs; I can really only see United and PSG as being on the hunt for a striker this summer.

Barcelona: Suarez
    Real Madrid: Benzema
    Chelsea: Costa
    Man City: Aguero
    Bayern: Lewandowski

The above I don't think would be (a) looking or (b) could improve on their primary options at the moment.

So we're up against Man Utd and PSG for whatever is out there this summer. We should be well able to compete tbh; we're well on a par with what both have to offer, PSG slightly ahead of us in Champions League prospects but not by much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cson wrote: »
    Higuain ship has sailed unless he's available at a semi reasonable price imo.

Would be looking moreso at Auba/Lacazette/Icardi and try to develop them into that world class striker we want. Auba's there or thereabouts already I'd say.

Looking at the top clubs; I can really only see United and PSG as being on the hunt for a striker this summer.

Barcelona: Suarez
    Real Madrid: Benzema
    Chelsea: Costa
    Man City: Aguero
    Bayern: Lewandowski

The above I don't think would be (a) looking or (b) could improve on their primary options at the moment.

So we're up against Man Utd and PSG for whatever is out there this summer. We should be well able to compete tbh; we're well on a par with what both have to offer, PSG slightly ahead of us in Champions League prospects but not by much.

Looking at his recent work, I don't have much faith in Wenger in being capable of turning any prospect into the finished article. His recent attempts at it, have failed miserably, and in some instances made the players appear worse, although I think a lot of this is down the hype machine being set to maximum at too early a stage for some players.

• Advertisement

Arteta joining Guardiola at Man City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quazzie wrote: »
    Looking at his recent work, I don't have much faith in Wenger in being capable of turning any prospect into the finished article. His recent attempts at it, have failed miserably, and in some instances made the players appear worse, although I think a lot of this is down the hype machine being set to maximum at too early a stage for some players.

Would actually tend to agree; we've a dismal record with 'project' players. Walcott, Chamberlain and Chambers have all not progressed to the level we'd have expected given the relative outlay. Ramsey is probably the most successful player of this ilk we've had.

That being said; players do come through under him. Bellerin, Iwobi, Coquelin all add something to the squad and all (bar maybe Coquelin) could be world class. Whether that's having his hand forced due to injuries and getting lucky with the boys stepping up is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would actually tend to agree; we've a dismal record with 'project' players. Walcott, Chamberlain and Chambers have all not progressed to the level we'd have expected given the relative outlay. Ramsey is probably the most successful player of this ilk we've had.

That being said; players do come through under him. Bellerin, Iwobi, Coquelin all add something to the squad and all (bar maybe Coquelin) could be world class. Whether that's having his hand forced due to injuries and getting lucky with the boys stepping up is another thing.

I agree in part but I think Chambers has looked solid this season whenever he's had the chance. The major problem for him is he's not getting enough chances at the moment to develop his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bollocks to developing players tbh, we've been trying that for years and only really Ramsey and Bellerin in recent years have turned out good enough for a top team. It's time for Wenger to buy a quality forward and stop relying on lads like Walcott and Giroud. There's plenty out there despite what some will have you believe.

Muller would be the dream signing imo. Has that uncanny ability to always be in the right place at the right time. He'd probably set us back about 60 million though.

greendom wrote: »
    I agree in part but I think Chambers has looked solid this season whenever he's had the chance. The major problem for him is he's not getting enough chances at the moment to develop his game.

Chambers got a raw deal being made play CDM against Southampton last season when they ran all over us. I think that tarnished a lot of people's opinions on the lad. I personally think he has all the makings of a good defender he just needs game time as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Bollocks to developing players tbh, we've been trying that for years and only really Ramsey and Bellerin in recent years have turned out good enough for a top team. It's time for Wenger to buy a quality forward and stop relying on lads like Walcott and Giroud. There's plenty out there despite what some will have you believe.

Muller would be the dream signing imo. Has that uncanny ability to always be in the right place at the right time. He'd probably set us back about 60 million though.

Why would Muller choose to move to Arsenal? He could name his price for nearly any club. Who are these top quality forwards that are available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'd prefer a Chambers/Kos partnership over Kos/Gab

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

These days players are influenced by money - we have money, loads of money. Lets start influencing them. I've said it before - Abumeyang is moving, we should be offering what ever it takes. A player like him would transform the team and maybe they might start caring again

Hyzepher wrote: »
    These days players are influenced by money - we have money, loads of money. Lets start influencing them. I've said it before - Abumeyang is moving, we should be offering what ever it takes. A player like him would transform the team and maybe they might start caring again

Unfortunately, we only pay our top players about half what other teams pay their top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Arteta joining Guardiola at Man City!
    ? serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

? serious?

Just heard this on the radio there. Joining them as a coach.

Not too fussed. His playing days are well over but would have liked him to coach at Arsenal tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

? serious?

It's been talked about for the last few weeks. I think he's been offered a coaching role. Wenger confirmed that he was aware of the rumour but didn't know if he'd made his decision, but felt that he could continue his playing career if he wished

Why would Muller choose to move to Arsenal? He could name his price for nearly any club. Who are these top quality forwards that are available?

Hence why I said he'd be the dream signing, not likely to happen but it's very feasible. To be fair the money is there and we could throw enough money at the majority of players to entice them over. Ozil and Alexis surely could have named their price for most clubs but we managed to get them. Cech too, he could walk into the starting 11 of pretty much any team bar a select few.

Money isn't the issue with our club it's Wengers unwillingness to fork out the cash for top players. Look what happened with Higuain for example.

Does this thread really need another debate about strikers we could try to sign? Think it's been done to death at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does this thread really need another debate about strikers we could try to sign? Think it's been done to death at this stage to be honest.

Yeah, can we please not do that again.

Besides a striker, I would like to see a world class RW. Hopefully Walcott is done there, Ox besides being injured hasn't impressed this season and for some reason Campbell isn't getting a run.

If we managed to get a world class player for that position maybe he could take Ox or Campbell under his wing and help bring them on without us being crippled by them in the mean time.

Any suggestions, besides Muller who conveniently also can play there?

Money isn't the issue with our club it's Wengers unwillingness to fork out the cash for top players. Look what happened with Higuain for example.

Higuain isn't a good example. Why? Because as far as we know, a fee was agreed, and the goalposts were moved. Had the price been agreed at a higher value, then I'm sure that would have been paid.

On top of that, £42m was paid for Ozil in that window, which is more than Higuain would have cost. I class that as forking out the cash for top players.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yeah, can we please not do that again.

Besides a striker, I would like to see a world class RW. Hopefully Walcott is done there, Ox besides being injured hasn't impressed this season and for some reason Campbell isn't getting a run.

If we managed to get a world class player for that position maybe he could take Ox or Campbell under his wing and help bring them on without us being crippled by them in the mean time.

Any suggestions, besides Muller who conveniently also can play there?

I think we should just play Sanchez on the right wing and look at getting a left winger because Sanchez hasn't been great from the left wing this season he basically cuts in and loses possession nearly every time. He's been solid on the right wing recently and was quality when he played there last season. He also really shone on the right wing at barca imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think higuain wasn't bought because they thought they'd get suarez, that's one of the biggest mistakes made in recent years imo. Whoever made it.

RW?yeah leave Sanchez there, welbeck/iwobi on the left. Maybe another addition, like mane with a new striker & With the others as backup one last chance

They definitely need a CM who can pass the ball, Ramsey & coq can't play together, and both had their best spells with arteta & cazorla. Eleny? Not sure on him yet tbh

Another CB wouldn't be out of place either

Any coincidence that the 3 players you mentioned as failures are all english, the media make sh1t of any bright young prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Basil3 wrote: »
    Higuain isn't a good example. Why? Because as far as we know, a fee was agreed, and the goalposts were moved. Had the price been agreed at a higher value, then I'm sure that would have been paid.

On top of that, £42m was paid for Ozil in that window, which is more than Higuain would have cost. I class that as forking out the cash for top players.

There was no reason why we couldnt have bought both of them. It was well within our capabilities. Sometimes you just have to take a gamble and pay the going rate. We pulled out for the sake of a few million extra.

Arteta joining Man City in a coaching role yeah.
    Bit silly to lose a player who knows the entire squad inside out and he must have something to offer if he's going to City with a top manager in charge.

Maybe ive missed something but whats the link between Pep and Arteta?

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Maybe ive missed something but whats the link between Pep and Arteta?

Arteta must have Barca DNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »
    Arteta must have Barca DNA.
    Funnily enough, he does :D

keano_afc wrote: »
    There was no reason why we couldnt have bought both of them. It was well within our capabilities. Sometimes you just have to take a gamble and pay the going rate. We pulled out for the sake of a few million extra.

£75m on two players in one window after our previous record purchase was something like £15m? I think we both know that would never happen. You have to be a little realistic.

£75m on two players in one window after our previous record purchase was something like £15m? I think we both know that would never happen. You have to be a little realistic.

And such "realism" is why we'll never get anywhere as a club.

And such "realism" is why we'll never get anywhere as a club.

Yup, a shame the club doesn't have the same 'ambition' as some of you guys :rolleyes:

Yup, a shame the club doesn't have the same 'ambition' as some of you guys :rolleyes:

Funnily enough it's that kind of ambition that's needed at Arsenal if we're to win things.

Funnily enough it's that kind of ambition that's needed at Arsenal if we're to win things.

Ah yeah, I'm fully aware of that :D

When Ozil was signed, I was shocked enough that we spent that amount on one player. Another £30m on another would have been insane.

Apparently all the top players and managers are dying to move from their trophy winning clubs to Arsenal...

Yep, sadly you're right. It will never happen. And we wonder why we never finish higher than third in the league.

• Advertisement

Apparently all the top players and managers are dying to move from their trophy winning clubs to Arsenal...

Who said that? ****e talk

Who said that? ****e talk

Ah I'm just being a grouch, nobody has said that, apologies if it came across as snarky just having a bad day here, but I do think there's some delusions of grandeur amongst some over how attractive Arsenal is as a club. If I'm a top player I want to win trophies and or earn big money. Not sure Arsenal can offer either. The money is there definitely, but will it be put toward big wages I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ah I'm just being a grouch, nobody has said that, apologies if it came across as snarky just having a bad day here, but I do think there's some delusions of grandeur amongst some over how attractive Arsenal is as a club. If I'm a top player I want to win trophies and or earn big money. Not sure Arsenal can offer either. The money is there definitely, but will it be put toward big wages I don't know.

I get what your saying but personally after witnessing Leicester this season I'd rather we didn't throw big money around. Just look at man city this season. The money approach hasn't brought them on whatsoever since they won league titles. Their CL SF the other night was nothing short of disgraceful.

I'm not saying the Leicester way is a footprint but it sure as hell beats chucking money after money on mercenary footballers. Unfortunately for Arsenal we're probably going to have to spend big on a top striker but other than that I'd like to see a bigger investment on talent scouting. There's a balance to be found is what I'm saying.

I should also point out the obvious and say coaching is the key. None of the above will matter a damn if Wenger doesn't adapt. He has shown signs in some games but he has a way to go yet. If he doesn't next season then he'll be gone and we can hopefully build on wengers legacy with a new manager, a new style and a bit of passion on the sideline, the pitch and in the stands.

omega man wrote: »
    I get what your saying but personally after witnessing Leicester this season I'd rather we didn't throw big money around. Just look at man city this season. The money approach hasn't brought them on whatsoever since they won league titles. Their CL SF the other night was nothing short of disgraceful.

I'm not saying the Leicester way is a footprint but it sure as hell beats chucking money after money on mercenary footballers. Unfortunately for Arsenal we're probably going to have to spend big on a top striker but other than that I'd like to see a bigger investment on talent scouting. There's a balance to be found is what I'm saying.

I should also point out the obvious and say coaching is the key. None of the above will matter a damn if Wenger doesn't adapt. He has shown signs in some games but he has a way to go yet. If he doesn't next season then he'll be gone and we can hopefully build on wengers legacy with a new manager, a new style and a bit of passion on the sideline, the pitch and in the stands.

Leicester won by having players prepared to use physicality when needed and we don't have those kind of players. We used to have. We have one way of playing and if that doesn't work then we're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

omega man wrote: »

The Leicester thing is a fluke looking at football the past 10 years in England most of the time money has bought success.

Leicester won because they had two lads scoring for fun when it mattered, Suarez Sturridge and Sterling almost done it for Liverpool.

A goal scoring centre forward is a must in my eyes and then build your solidity and team around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Suarez singlehandedly almost did it for Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

mansize wrote: »
    Suarez singlehandedly almost did it for Liverpool

He did but the other two more than chipped in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Leicester won by having players prepared to use physicality when needed and we don't have those kind of players. We used to have. We have one way of playing and if that doesn't work then we're in trouble.

Very true. Wenger needs a decent stock of world class players in his team. Or at least very good players in world class form.

Don't think I ever viewed Leicester as a 'physical' team.

We also don't have one way of playing. We played both possession football and fast breaking football this season.

Our problem is when another team lets us have the ball and we can't break them down. This isn't a problem unique to Arsenal, though.

Love to see Wilshere start tomorrow. Really enjoyable to watch on his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Don't think I ever viewed Leicester as a 'physical' team.

We also don't have one way of playing. We played both possession football and fast breaking football this season.

Our problem is when another team lets us have the ball and we can't break them down. This isn't a problem unique to Arsenal, though.

Agreed, Mert is constantly lampooned if something goes wrong but in reality we've conceded the 3rd least goals in the season, with Cech out for a good few games as well.

A clinical striker and a right winger who can swing a cross are the primary missing elements. At least if you've all the possession in the world you can try whip in a cross if there's no runs happening. Bellerin makes some great runs but his crossing is pretty poor. As a whole we're ****e at crossing, most of our corners don't beat the first man really. Long range shooting is ****e compared to other teams as well.

People say we need a good box to box midfielder but I don't see where they fit in really. Between Elneny, Caz, Coq, Ramsey, Wilshere trying to fill two roles I don't see the need really to buy big here. That's assuming Arteta, Flamini, and Rosicky are gone .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement