Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

L'prof wrote: »
    Dunno about putting you right about anything, but Giroud's goal yesterday was his 1st since 8th March. That's 2 months of football! That's just criminal and if we can't find a top top (hate that term :p) striker then we're in for another disappointing season next year!

Thanks for that. I'm well aware of his lack of goals recently (as I hope you probably realise) I just wanted to put a positive spin on it, (boring I know but there you go) and to ask if anyone knows why Ozil's assists and Giroud's goals have dried up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm well aware of his lack of goals recently (as I hope you probably realise) I just wanted to put a positive spin on it, (boring I know but there you go) and to ask if anyone knows why Ozil's assists and Giroud's goals have dried up?

I think Özil is still creating the chances anyway, as for Giroud? Anybody's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Looper007 wrote: »
    They don't have any bottle or fight, they blew their best chance of winning the PL and never showed any fight or bottle when they were in the title chase. Couldn't care less if they showed it today, City should have put us to the sword. The side in Wenger prime years had bottle and fight, this is a bunch of bottler we have today.

This has been trotted out all season, and I can't agree with it. Leicester are currently sitting on 80 points, and if they win at the weekend will finish on 83. Arsenal have only bettered that total twice since the premier league started. If Leicester finish on 80 then you can add another 2 seasons into that, so a max of 4 times in 24 seasons. Hardly like they just blew up this season and normally perform much better.

In fact, given that they average 72 points a season this could be seen as a normal year for them seen as how they could finish on 71 come the weekend. I've seen people all season say that Leicester should have been caught and various 'big clubs' have wasted their chances but the fact is they only lost 3 games all season and conceded less than a goal a game (assuming they don't concede 3 at the weekend)

Ultimately Arsenal needed to massively overperform in order to win the league this year, and instead they only performed to their norm and missed out. I think there's a lot of hysteria around the so called bigger clubs simply because the team at the top is Leicester rather than United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal.

I think, simply put, that the league is just getting much tougher as the traditional mid/low clubs have access to more money and are attracting better players and managers as result. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the average winning total drop off over the next 5-6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Looked great for Netherlands against England a couple of months back, got himself a goal and an assist. Looks a great prospect.

Please please please sign him.

I mean what the hell is Wenger waiting for if not a profile like that? He's hardly planning on swooping and snatching someone from the clutches of Barca or Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ooh. Lots of Arsecast this week. That podcast is probably the highlight of my season. :(

L'prof wrote: »
    I think Özil is still creating the chances anyway, as for Giroud? Anybody's guess.

Coincidence that Giroud has his best game for ages with no Ozil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Iago wrote: »
    Ultimately Arsenal needed to massively overperform in order to win the league this year.

Shoot me now. That's a truly depressing view and one I couldn't agree with in a million years despite years of bottling the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

omega man wrote: »
    Shoot me now. That's a truly depressing view and one I couldn't agree with in a million years despite years of bottling the league.

Depressing or not, this is the 8th season in a row where Arsenal finish with less points than Leicester have with the last game to play. If they actually win their last game than Arsenal won't have finished with a higher points total since the invincibles season in 03/04.

At some point it stops being an anomaly and becomes the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently West Ham are going to buy Walcott for £24 Million. Quick Arsene close the sale before they wake up :) Feck it we should drop him off to them with a free pack of band aids :)

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/05/report-walcott-to-join-west-ham/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/west-ham-set-to-make-huge-statement-of-intent-as-they-close-in-on-arsenal-star-report-34699189.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

gandalf wrote: »
    Apparently West Ham are going to buy Walcott for £24 Million. Quick Arsene close the sale before they wake up :) Feck it we should drop him off to them with a free pack of band aids :)

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/05/report-walcott-to-join-west-ham/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/west-ham-set-to-make-huge-statement-of-intent-as-they-close-in-on-arsenal-star-report-34699189.html

What are they smoking over at the Boleyn Ground?? :-)
    If thats true he should be sped down there immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Imagine he has the season of his life there.

He always seemed to be on the cusp of greatness but never quite made it. Last couple of months he's been just plain awful, although there were a few signs of a return to form on Sunday, I thought.

He hasn't had one with us ever,so id take the gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

He always seemed to be on the cusp of greatness but never quite made it. Last couple of months he's been just plain awful, although there were a few signs of a return to form on Sunday, I thought.

Oh he definitely needs to go asap. Not good enough for a premier league winning team.

Doesn't matter. He may be great somewhere else but he's clearly going nowhere at Arsenal.

Iago wrote: »
    Depressing or not, this is the 8th season in a row where Arsenal finish with less points than Leicester have with the last game to play. If they actually win their last game than Arsenal won't have finished with a higher points total since the invincibles season in 03/04.

At some point it stops being an anomaly and becomes the norm.

I agree with you. We wouldn't have beaten Leicester regardless and fair dues to them.

But the collapse is the problem. When we went ahead we just stopped winning games. That's the problem.

There's be far less complaints if we had kept pace and just not been able to match their heroics over the last few months.

Yeah, he actually tries to make a good few runs every time he comes on. If he doesn't get a decent through ball, he just gives up. I think he looked ok yesterday, at least in comparison to his usual form.

Oh he definitely needs to go asap. Not good enough for a premier league winning team.

If we replace him with someone who is, I'll have no complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

To be very honest the last few months he's been worse than useless, if he wasnt replaced he wouldnt be much of a loss based on his current form, if nothing else Campbell might be brought back in.
    The last few months Walcott has been mostly restricted to late appearances from 65-70 odd minutes onwards and contributed very little
    He's nowhere near the England panel either if the leaked squad news is accurate

• Advertisement

Feck it if they are stupid enough to buy Walcott we should push our luck and see if we can get Dimitri Payet and cash for him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Welbeck out for 3 to 6 months according to Twitter. Might save Walcott from the axe if its closer to 6 months.

Welbeck out for 3 to 6 months according to Twitter. Might save Walcott from the axe if its closer to 6 months.

I sincerely hope not. We need to unload the waster ASAP.

Feel sorry for Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Feel sorry for Danny

He's always given his best any game I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Was Welbeck so injury prone when he was at Utd? He seems to be injured alot since he has came to us. Beginning to think theres a curse at the club.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Was Welbeck so injury prone when he was at Utd? He seems to be injured alot since he has came to us. Beginning to think theres a curse at the club.

He had more time injured in his first year at arsenal than his entire time at United. Something like that anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Basil3 wrote: »
    He had more time injured in his first year at arsenal than his entire time at United. Something like that anyway :pac:

Not surprising. Something has to be looked at in the conditioning/coaching side of things at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah b*llocks.

Was looking forward to him in the Euros.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Not surprising. Something has to be looked at in the conditioning/coaching side of things at the club.

I think generally we have improved on the injury front. Not a lot can be done about impact/collision injuries like what happened to Danny yesterday. Just unlucky.

I think generally we have improved on the injury front. Not a lot can be done about impact/collision injuries like what happened to Danny yesterday. Just unlucky.

I read somewhere where we have halved the amount of injury days from last season. Few long term injuries this year skewed those stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ah we haven't really.

Jack
    santi
    coq
    Danny
    theo
    ox

All missed huge sections of the season.

Add sanchez and Ramsey to that.

And didn't the ox and theo injure themselves because of not warming up properly?

Ameteur stuff really.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Ah we haven't really.

Jack
    santi
    coq
    Danny
    theo
    ox

All missed huge sections of the season.

How many of these were preventable, though? How many were caused by a collision, or impact in a tackle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd say Cazorla's injury was exacerbated by him trying to run it off. IIRC he was injured before half-time but played the second half "on one leg" according to Wenger.

I wouldnt pay much heed to this improved days lost through injury table. Our figure is only down because Diaby is no longer at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'd say Cazorla's injury was exacerbated by him trying to run it off. IIRC he was injured before half-time but played the second half "on one leg" according to Wenger.

I wouldnt pay much heed to this improved days lost through injury table. Our figure is only down because Diaby is no longer at the club.

If it's down, it can only be a good thing and it's not only because of Diaby leaving. The worrying thing for me is that, even though it's down, the team haven't improved because of it!

Good points tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Good points tbf.

Even If you add the 250 days Diaby would have cost us It's still a 30% improvement on last season, ignoring that would be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Even If you add the 250 days Diaby would have cost us It's still a 30% improvement on last season, ignoring that would be silly.

Its not a dramatic improvement though. We've still lost players for big chunks of the season.

Its not a dramatic improvement though. We've still lost players for big chunks of the season.

30% Is fairly substantial, the problem Is the amount of Injuries we get even minus 30% Is far too much to be consistent throughout the year considering so many key players get injured and we lack depth.

30% Is fairly substantial, the problem Is the amount of Injuries we get even minus 30% Is far too much to be consistent throughout the year considering so many kep players get injured and we lack depth.

A big factor with winning the league is luck with injuries. Look at Leicester this year, or Chelsea the year before. Could virtually play the same team all season.

A big factor with winning the league is luck with injuries. Look at Leicester this year, or Chelsea the year before. Could virtually play the same team all season.

Is It luck though? Are we just EXTREMELY unlucky EVERY single year?

• Advertisement

Is It luck though? Are we just EXTREMELY unlucky EVERY single year?

That's not what I said.

We weren't EXTREMELY unlucky this year. Look at Leicester and Chelsea over the last 2 years, for example. How many of their players played virtually every match? There's an element of luck to that. It's not the only factor, but it helps. Leicester also didn't have to play many matches over the course of the season.

That's not what I said.

We weren't EXTREMELY unlucky this year. Look at Leicester and Chelsea over the last 2 years, for example. How many of their players played virtually every match? There's an element of luck to that. It's not the only factor, but it helps. Leicester also didn't have to play many matches over the course of the season.

I never said you said anything I just asked you a question?

I don't think keeping your players fit and healthy comes down to luck. Leicester didn't have to play many matches? they played 43 as opposed to our 51 I wouldn't call that "not many".

I never said you said anything I just asked you a question?

I don't think keeping your players fit and healthy comes down to luck. Leicester didn't have to play many matches? they played 43 as opposed to our 51 I wouldn't call that "not many".

I figured it 43 to 53. Regardless, they essentially only had to worry about 1 match a week for the whole season. That would definitely help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Amount of matches has fook all to do with it in some cases, sure how many players were out having hardly kicked a ball? Wilshere, Arteta and Rosicky spring to mind straight away

Apparently Arteta has been offered a coaching role at Arsenal. Be interesting to see if he chooses us or Pep at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really want Arteta to stay on as a coach. Always comes across as quite intelligent and its about time we kept some of our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Our under 21's where promoted to division one tonight , Chris Willock ( remember the name ) put in a class performance , getting 2 assists and a goal himself :)

carzola got 70mins :) great to see him back and fit , shame its right at the end of the season tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wenger cracking open the wine I guess.

Fair play to West Ham, pressure to finish on a high.

Congrats all!

t-31566.png

/Sarcasm_off

• Advertisement

Rumours of a deal for xhaka for 40m+, haven't seen much of him so can't say if price is right or not!
    But as usual i wont believe anything until its done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement