Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Please, I was trying to live In the optimistic world just for even one day!

Sorry Ken....look on the Brightside, maybe they've learnt & its an extra £20 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Andip wrote: »
    Sorry Ken....look on the Brightside, maybe they've learnt & its an extra £20 :D

Fingers crossed. All we can do Is hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Need to be signing 2 strikers now. Won't happen though :(

All that smile means is.....you are more delusional than I am.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

L'prof wrote: »
    Need to be signing 2 strikers now. Won't happen though :(

only if you sell one (Walcott) imo.

If you sign a striker it will be someone good enough to start, Giroud as a sub striker is about as good as you can get. Then for a team that only plays one striker Walcott as third choice until Wellbeck is fit isn't too bad especially with Sanchez as backup to all of that.

You really do need that WC striker though if you are to fulfill your ambitions / potential.

It is hard to think who except Zlatan, who will only be a short term thing (and probably coveted by many clubs and at his high age / wages) anyway, will be available and at that standard,

Not sure why but I think Xhaka is done. This years Podolski in terms of linked and sorted early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gutted to hear that about Welbeck, I think he has a lot of potential and as others have said he works his bollix off for the team when he plays. I really hope this doesn't put the breaks on Walcotts exit. We really need to shift him out of the team ASAP.

Sweepstakes on when Welbeck returns? I'm gonna go with the match closest to the 10th of December.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sweepstakes on when Welbeck returns? I'm gonna go with the match closest to the 10th of December.

... LANS anyone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not sure how he thought this would be a good idea....

It’s fair to say ESPN probably regret setting up a Q&A with Arsenal star Jack Wilshere.
    The England international was mercilessly trolled by Twitter users using the suggest #AskJackWilshere hashtag.
    If the 24-year-old was expecting a series of interesting and friendly questions, he was sorely mistaken.
    It was quite the opposite and no stone was left unturned in which to troll the midfielder.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/11/ask-jack-wilshere-arsenal-star-mercilessly-trolled-after-setting-up-twitter-qa-5875744/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So Wellbeck injured for almost a year? time to cut our loses in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And how do you propose we do that?

Stupid suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I doubt there are too many losses to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

mansize wrote: »
    I doubt there are too many losses to cut.

Harsh.

The lad has more passion in an arsenal shirt then half the squad combined.

Personally I'm gutted for him and despite some shortcomings I look forward to his return. He's way down my list of players to get rid of.

omega man wrote: »
    Harsh.

The lad has more passion in an arsenal shirt then half the squad combined.

Personally I'm gutted for him and despite some shortcomings I look forward to his return. He's way down my list of players to get rid of.

I meant there is little owed to Arsenal ie he has more than repayed his cost

I don't know how one could interpret it otherwise

mansize wrote: »
    I meant there is little owed to Arsenal ie he has more than repayed his cost

I don't know how one could interpret it otherwise

Sorry thought you meant he was no loss.....

• Advertisement

There goes second place surely. Can't see Newcastle having any interest in playing Spurs

It will be the race for 4th on Sky United v City

There goes second place surely. Can't see Newcastle having any interest in playing Spurs

Looks like Everton are on the beach already !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just pride to play for.

Xhaka has stated that Saturday may be his last game for Borussia Monchengladtobeback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

And how do you propose we do that?

Stupid suggestion.
    sell him and get rid. heck even just release him. waste of salary if you ask me. sell giroud while we are at it and get a world class striker

greendom wrote: »
    Xhaka has stated that Saturday may be his last game for Borussia Monchengladtobeback

Let's hope xhaka is made of 'Granite'....I'll get my coat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

sell him and get rid. heck even just release him. waste of salary if you ask me. sell giroud while we are at it and get a world class striker

Sure sell them all and just buy Ronaldo.

It's not fifa mate be realistic.

You're the gift that keeps on giving. Waste of a salary you say? What do you think happens when you release a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont really care about coming second tbh. 2nd and 3rd are the same with regards to automatic champions league qualification. The only plus would be a laugh at Spurs which I dont really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Who is going to buy a player who is injured for the next nine months? Even on FIFA I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that.

And sell Giroud? While Welbeck is out for nearly a whole season? Are you thinking about this at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Anybody watch much of Xhaka? He strikes me as pretty much a replacement for Cazorla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who the hell would buy a player who is injured for the next 11 months... Actually maybe you're on to something, we could look into loaning him out to the club who lent us Kim Kallstrom, they should have out back .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

sonic85 wrote: »
    Anybody watch much of Xhaka? He strikes me as pretty much a replacement for Cazorla?

Haven't seen much of him but this is a good article on him

http://goonersphere.com/columnists/thegarrison/6478-xhaka-why-arsenal-need-this-35m-arteta-upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never heard of this lad before.
    How do you pronounce his name, is it Shaka, Jacka, Exhaka or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with just having one striker in our squad? Clearly we have no lessons that could be learned from an over reliance on one striker in the past..

something something van Persie something Chamack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gutted for Danny Welbeck. Heart of a lion that kid has even if he isnt the most talented player at the club. I just pray to god it doesnt mean we hold onto that waster Theo Walcott.

Exhaka :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Probably close to Shaka.

http://www.goal.com/en/slideshow/7997/20/title/how-to-pronounce-every-world-cup-player

Pronunciation in there if anyone's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So pay off Welbeck and then let another club pick him up on a free for no reason other than you don't want an injured player at the club.

Then sell Giroud because he's not good enough to be no.1

THEN go looking for a better striker

Great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Danny is extremely fit, I hope the 9 months is a worse case scenario, so hopefully, he will be back after Christmas & have some sort of season for us. Sad he'll miss the Euros, but if this was going to happen, its probably the 'best' timing given the season is over.

I can see Walcott leaving, not just because he isn't performing, but more that he wants a regular start so it seems to be a mutual thing. I'm guessing they'll step up bids for someone like Morata (possibly a deal involving Sanchez if you believe the papers), keep Giroud and flog Walcott to the Arsenal 'B' squad - aka the Hammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wellbeck's injury does make you wonder about our record though, He was rarely if ever injured for Utd and is now facing into the guts of another year out (knowing our record it will progress to 12 months)
    It cant all be coincidence can it or are they doing something seriously wrong at training. The likes of Arteta and Rosicky are somewhat understandable as age isnt on their side but we really have rotten luck when it comes to long term injuries

Andip wrote: »

I can see Walcott leaving, not just because he isn't performing, but more that he wants a regular start so it seems to be a mutual thing. I'm guessing they'll step up bids for someone like Morata (possibly a deal involving Sanchez if you believe the papers), keep Giroud and flog Walcott to the Arsenal 'B' squad - aka the Hammers

I would be delighted to see Walcott go, im sure he's probably a decent sort but he isnt consistant or good enough for where we want to be.
    Cant imagine in a million years that Arsenal will leave Sanchez go unless he really forces it which I dont see happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wellbeck's injury does make you wonder about our record though, He was rarely if ever injured for Utd and is now facing into the guts of another year out (knowing our record it will progress to 12 months)
    It cant all be coincidence can it or are they doing something seriously wrong at training. The likes of Arteta and Rosicky are somewhat understandable as age isnt on their side but we really have rotten luck when it comes to long term injuries
    Didn't Fabregas say when he moved to barca that Arsenes coaching style was really demanding? Could have something to do with it but a lot of our injuries are also impact ones which can't be avoided really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Dont think this one can be put down to anything than welbeck making a tackle in completely the wrong way,he went with the wrong foot tackling with the outside of his foot, asking for trouble,but still not nice to see this sort of injury.knee injuries are notorious for recurring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Dont think this one can be put down to anything than welbeck making a tackle in completely the wrong way,he went with the wrong foot tackling with the outside of his foot, asking for trouble,but still not nice to see this sort of injury.knee injuries are notorious for recurring

Yep. Welbeck's injury is very much self inflicted. Cant blame the club on that one.

Arseblog are saying The Times are reporting that Wenger is going to be offered a two year extension by Kroenke. It would be an absolute disaster if it's true. It appears the higher ups are happy with mediocrity.

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/05/the-times-claim-wenger-to-to-be-offered-new-deal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
    The Times are reporting tonight that Arsene Wenger is to be offered a new deal at the club.

A two year extension is apparently in the offing with majority shareholder Stan Kroenke keen for the Frenchman to put pen to paper early next season at the latest. They suggest there’s an October deadline on the offer, leaving Arsenal time to find a replacement if Wenger decides that the 2016/17 season is to be his last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gandalf wrote: »
    Arseblog are saying The Times are reporting that Wenger is going to be offered a two year extension by Kroenke. It would be an absolute disaster if it's true. It appears the higher ups are happy with mediocrity.

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/05/the-times-claim-wenger-to-to-be-offered-new-deal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

100% Kroenke will keep Arsene if he can he is in this for money not sport, he is a bigger problem than Arsene

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gandalf wrote: »

As much as I'd like change at the club, I can't really class what Arsene has done as "mediocrity". Under performing, yes, particularly this year, but not mediocre.

Stan is a number man though, and Arsene delivers what the numbers he wants. Only way that it will change is if fans stay away, and start handing in their season tickets. Sadly, I don't think that'll happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Soups123 wrote: »
    100% Kroenke will keep Arsene if he can he is in this for money not sport, he is a bigger problem than Arsene

See the club is now valued at over 2 billion dollars, 5th in the world

I read what was saying at some conference recently about growing the brand and that it's important to be financed naturally as opposed to a rich owner pumping in money. The latter is fair enough

But if kroenke is all about money, why wouldn't he want the club to be as successful as possible?
    Surely that'd help grow his 'brand' and make the commercial sponsorships more expensive for companies to be associated with arsenal.

Does he figure the outlay isn't worth it on something with no real guarantee or what's the thinking behind it?

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »

I read what was saying at some conference recently about growing the brand and that it's important to be financed naturally as opposed to a rich owner pumping in money. The latter is fair enough

But if kroenke is all about money, why wouldn't he want the club to be as successful as possible?
    Surely that'd help grow his 'brand' and make the commercial sponsorships more expensive for companies to be associated with arsenal.

Does he figure the outlay isn't worth it on something with no real guarantee or what's the thinking behind it?

He seems to talk a lot about stuff like stability. He seems to think that clubs like Chelsea and City will crash and burn when their owners lose interest.

It's pretty clear that the City owners aren't losing interest any time soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

batistuta9 wrote: »

You've answered it yourself there.

Success doesn't necessarily increase the value of a club as much as other measures. Building the Emirates did more for the value of Arsenal than winning the league would, crazy as it seems to most supporters.

From his business dealings in the rest of his sports empire, he is most definitely one of the best at getting value out of his clubs, and very little of it is to do with what we'd consider team investment. His NFL team, the Rams, recently had to pay a $550 million dollar relocation fee to move city. Why spend that much on a team, but not on arsenal players? Overnight, the value of the Rams went from 1.4 billion to 2.8 billion. (EDIT: Took another look at the article, it's actually a tripling in value from $930 million to close to $3 billion over two years because of the move). That's the kind of value that he sees as worth investing in. He'll also make money from the property deals around the new stadium, as Arsenal did with the Emirates.

Even if he invested over a hundred million in Arsenal players, and we sauntered to victory in both the league and Europe, it still wouldn't have the returns he's looking for.

I disagree to a point, Success = popularity = bigger fanbase = more money
    You are looking at it purely in terms of prize money available for winning the premiership and the cl.
    Every second person growing up in the 90's seem to support Man Utd because they were the dominant team winning the most trophies. Success breeds success in all different forms. You would imagine that now that they have secured financial stability that investing heavily in the club would be the best way to bring the finances to the next level by building a bigger fanbase.
    Kronke surely cant expect to keep milking the current set of fans for all they have?

Looking it from Kroenke's perspective I wonder if he'd see the value in bringing Ibrahamovic to the club

His brand could bring additional supporters around the World

He's getting on but I still think he'd be a force in the Premier League for a season.

I disagree to a point, Success = popularity = bigger fanbase = more money
    You are looking at it purely in terms of prize money available for winning the premiership and the cl.
    Every second person growing up in the 90's seem to support Man Utd because they were the dominant team winning the most trophies. Success breeds success in all different forms. You would imagine that now that they have secured financial stability that investing heavily in the club would be the best way to bring the finances to the next level by building a bigger fanbase.
    Kronke surely cant expect to keep milking the current set of fans for all they have?

That's true, without a doubt, but I'm also looking at the expected returns on investment.

Man United are obviously the team to hold up as an example, but I think what they did isn't as feasible these days. More success will bring about more supporters is definitely true, everyone loves a bandwagon, but you really need to be a dominant force domestically for that to reach a tipping point in terms of bringing in new supporters. To become as dominant as Man United did back then would require millions upon millions of investment, on a consistent basis. Success would not be even close to guaranteed, as I can't remember a more competitive time in the league.

Just look at Man City and Chelsea, two teams that had massive investment in the team, which has resulted in them becoming more competitive, but has it resulted in either of the teams getting a majority of the new supporters coming in? I'd say no, and I don't think any team is going to monopolise new supporters the way Man United did.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement