Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's impossible to know if Wenger staying would be good or bad without knowing exactly what's going on with Kronke.

The unknown is that if Wenger goes, will the next guy be allowed spend the bank balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wenger just denied the contract extension story in his presser.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

keano_afc wrote: »

Which means precisely nothing coming from Arsene. He's well able to lie with a straight face when he wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »

Anything else of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Arteta, Rosicky and Flamster all three leaving.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Some good news at least.

As Arteta is becoming a coach, knows Arsenal inside out and is popular in the dressing room, and is going to Man City, I wouldn't say that's good news by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

As Arteta is becoming a coach, knows Arsenal inside out and is popular in the dressing room, and is going to Man City, I wouldn't say that's good news by any stretch.

Last I heard he had been offered a coaching role in Arsenal too so it's up to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Wenger would be mad not to better whatever city are offering Arteta. Despite the fact that he's driven me mad on a couple of occasions in the past couple of seasons I think he could offer a lot as a coach, always struck me as a smart man and he's a very clever player.

wonga77 wrote: »
    I disagree to a point, Success = popularity = bigger fanbase = more money
    You are looking at it purely in terms of prize money available for winning the premiership and the cl.
    Every second person growing up in the 90's seem to support Man Utd because they were the dominant team winning the most trophies. Success breeds success in all different forms. You would imagine that now that they have secured financial stability that investing heavily in the club would be the best way to bring the finances to the next level by building a bigger fanbase.
    Kronke surely cant expect to keep milking the current set of fans for all they have?

And of course United have just posted record quarterly revenue of £123m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Wenger would be mad not to better whatever city are offering Arteta. Despite the fact that he's driven me mad on a couple of occasions in the past couple of seasons I think he could offer a lot as a coach, always struck me as a smart man and he's a very clever player.

I'd like him to stay too. The draw of Pep may be too much to resist though. And how senior a role will we be offering compared to City?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I don't think we have any secrets. Sure everyone knows how to play against us these days. I wish Arteta success whatever he decides to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

CiTfP5jW0AMWWa9.jpg
    :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Basil3 wrote: »
    And of course United have just posted record quarterly revenue of £123m

I'd love Arsenal to change so that this can happen, I just don't think that it will happen. The cost of getting to the point of dominance would be far too high for a numbers guy like Stan, no matter the manager. So instead of trying to dominate the game in order to secure the next generation of future potential supporters in the traditional football market, teams are competing for potential supporters in the here and now, mainly America and the Far East.

omega man wrote: »
    I don't think we have any secrets. Sure everyone knows how to play against us these days. I wish Arteta success whatever he decides to do.

My point was more about his ability to be able to do effective coaching with our squad!
    There's nothing any club needs to know about how we coach, except how to do it differently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Arteta, Rosicky and Flamster all three leaving.

Rosicky - great servant to the club, pity about his injuries.
    Flamini - one of my favourite players, broke my heart when he went to Milan, always 100% commitment.
    Arteta - Everton got his best years but not a bad signing, would make a great coach Arsenal I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It would appear that our "warchest" isn't as big as might have been claimed

Quazzie wrote: »

Pretty funny, considering very little outlay last year, and all this TV money coming in.

I don't really read into any predictions of spending. You're inevitably let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Only £54m to spend? Well even that would be a significant improvement on last summer.

Heading over to London now for the villa game. Fúcking hilarious I picked this game months ago on the off chance I'd see the premier league trophy.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

What that says is we have 160 million but some investor guy figures we may only spend 54.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Be gutted to see Rosicky leave, hands down my favourite Arsenal player for many years now. Ok he's obviously not going to challenge Ozil but I hope If he's joining someone else he gets to play so we can see his final year or 2. Absolute gent and extremely talented and always gave 100% wish him well.

Flamini can piss off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Heading over to London now for the villa game. Fúcking hilarious I picked this game months ago on the off chance I'd see the premier league trophy.

Enjoy the game!

Well done to the Arsenal ladies on another FA Cup.

https://twitter.com/ArsenalLadies/status/731497585844846592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I feel pretty confidant in saying that based on those 2 seconds of play, she's a better option than Theo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gosplan wrote: »
    I feel pretty confidant in saying that based on those 2 seconds of play, she's a better option than Theo.

Not really hard to do if we're being honest.
    Pretty Sure i've contributed more to Arsenal than Theo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Delighted Arsenal ladies won yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

One of my favourite Vieira goals, Bergkamps pass was perfectly weighted, what a pair of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anyone read parlours book? €16 from the book depository. Every snippet ive read seems excellent, but im just wondering are they the best bits of the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Anyone read parlours book? €16 from the book depository. Every snippet ive read seems excellent, but im just wondering are they the best bits of the book?

Everything I've ever heard from the man has been hilarious, I'd say it's gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What would everyone think if we signed two CM's? Then we could have Ramsey/Wilshere/Santi on one side and Alexis on the other? Think it would be perfect if we can pick up a striker with top movement.

I'd imagine its gold from cover to cover like Perry Groves book

What would everyone think if we signed two CM's? Then we could have Ramsey/Wilshere/Santi on one side and Alexis on the other? Think it would be perfect if we can pick up a striker with top movement.

If the Xhaka rumours are true and the reports on how much we have to spend this summer then I'd imagine he'll be the only midfielder we'll buy as he'd cost over half the reported "budget" for this summer which is something like 56 million.

Bar Flamini and Arteta we still have Ramsey, Cazorla, Elneny, Coquelin and then possibly Xhaka at CM so I think our money would be best spent elsewhere.

Why not just buy one CM and a winger instead? Ramsey and Wilshere are midfielders, and Cazorla doesn't have the pace to play out there any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If the Xhaka rumours are true and the reports on how much we have to spend this summer then I'd imagine he'll be the only midfielder we'll buy as he'd cost over half the reported "budget" for this summer which is something like 56 million.

Bar Flamini and Arteta we still have Ramsey, Cazorla, Elneny, Coquelin and then possibly Xhaka at CM so I think our money would be best spent elsewhere.
    Why not just buy one CM and a winger instead? Ramsey and Wilshere are midfielders, and Cazorla doesn't have the pace to play out there any more.

Id rather buy a winger but thinking the extra midfielder would gave us a bit more control in big games. Would also give us the option of playing 4-3-1-2 with Ozil and Sanchez in their preferred positions as a #10 and second striker. Hold very little hope that we will sign a top winger and a top striker in the one window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

56 million? Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Pretty interesting indeed

https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/731802361807708161

With Xhaka looking to be a done deal we'd be pretty packed in the middle. A midfield of Kate and Xhaka would be powerful as ****!

JustTheOne wrote: »
    56 million? Is that it?

Think Quazzie posted an article saying something around that amount would be devoted to transfers. Measly amount if true tbh.

• Advertisement

Lineup

Cazorla on the wing?

Santi and Wilshere starting, fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Santi and Wilshere starting, fantastic.

Bad news for The Villa.

I really want to finish on a high. A rake of goals please. Same from you Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

No Rosicky on the bench, shame.

Tbh I've pretty much given up on second and my fear is that it will paper over cracks in the unlikely event we do secure it.

Secure third pls god. No qualifying rnd needed then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Walcott not even in the squad...that could be telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Walcott not even in the squad...that could be telling.

Slight hamstring injury according to David Hytner on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

cashback wrote: »
    Slight hamstring injury according to David Hytner on Twitter.

"Hamstring" was that not the same injury Cesc had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Newcastle 1 up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

mansize wrote: »
    Newcastle 1 up!

Ill give to 60 mins before they collapse to a 3-1 loss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement