Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'll believe transfer rumours when I see the player in an Arsenal jersey. I had forgotten how annoying the summer months are actually, it's only been a week or two, but we've already been "linked" to most players in every league in the world.

In other news, Ozil got Arsenal player of the year, and it's hard to see any other player that came close in my opinion.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/733597652823113728

It's just a shame that he's spent the year working magic with strikers that constantly let him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yep Id be happy if Xhaka is signed even though i dont think another midfielder is a top priority. Il be much happier if we manage a striker and another central defender

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I got a bit bored so inspired by the pics of that luminous 3rd kit I started looking back at our old kits imagining what they would look like if Puma sexed them up.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Arsenal/Arsenal-change-kits.html

The 1892 stripy effort would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't think his guy is just another midfielder. By all accounts, he's going to be world class, if he isn't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I don't think his guy is just another midfielder. By all accounts, he's going to be world class, if he isn't already.

That's the question mark, Is he going to be better than Coq/Wilshere/Ramsey/Elneny/Cazorla. We have a lot of options In the middle of the park as It Is, I'd be worried that we'll be chopping and changing too much trying to figure out what works best and If 2 guys work best together and play consistently that leave's 4 very good midfielders sitting on the bench/at home each week.

A good problem to have In many regards but It will be Interesting to see how things play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's the question mark, Is he going to be better than Coq/Wilshere/Ramsey/Elneny/Cazorla. We have a lot of options In the middle of the park as It Is, I'd be worried that we'll be chopping and changing too much trying to figure out what works best and If 2 guys work best together and play consistently that leave's 4 very good midfielders sitting on the bench/at home each week.

A good problem to have In many regards but It will be Interesting to see how things play out.

This year you are losing Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky. A new centre midfielder was needed.

The fact that you are replacing squad players with world class players is a very good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Considering we had to play flamini for a huge number of games this season means this addition can only be a good thing.

This year you are losing Flamini, Arteta and Rosicky. A new centre midfielder was needed.

The fact that you are replacing squad players with world class players is a very good sign.

Well Rosicky Is an attacking midfielder he'd never play In the 2 holding positions and Flamini and Arteta aren't exactly losses, the main reason they got game time was the amount of Injuries we had. I'm not saying It's a bad thing I', just saying we now have 6 very good CM's fighting for 2 positions.

Is Flamini leaving confirmed??

Is Flamini leaving? There has been loads of coverage about Arteta and Rosicky leaving, with official announcements from the club. No mention of Flamini leaving, which is kind of worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

When is flaminis contract up with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

This summer.

This summer, AFAIK. Maybe he is allowed to extend for as long as Özil is with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Basil3 wrote: »
    This summer, AFAIK. Maybe he is allowed to extend for as long as Özil is with us.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire altogether and start promoting/working with his new company. Supposedly worth billions already. Mental. I'd say it'd be hard to concentrate on football knowing your second job is worth that much money.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire altogether and start promoting/working with his new company. Supposedly worth billions already. Mental. I'd say it'd be hard to concentrate on football knowing your second job is worth that much money.

Maybe if we're lucky he'll buy Arsenal when he makes his billions and gets rid of that prick Kroenke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The more I read about Xhaka the more I like!
    Hopefully shore up our sometimes porus midfield ease the pressure on our centre backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm still gutted about how we went out of the cup. I love cup final day when we're in it.

That game against Watford was the low point of the season, for me.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm still gutted about how we went out of the cup. I love cup final day when we're in it.

Swansea at home when I realised we'd bottled our league chances was the nadir for me. Crushing defeat.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

It was pretty limp alright

keano_afc wrote: »
    Swansea at home when I realised we'd bottled our league chances was the nadir for me. Crushing defeat.

Both of our games against Chelsea were probably the most infuriating matches of the season for me. Their worst season in absolutely ages and they still did the double over us. Don't get me started on Costa and Gabriel.

Both of our games against Chelsea were probably the most infuriating matches of the season for me. Their worst season in absolutely ages and they still did the double over us. Don't get me started on Costa and Gabriel.

Clattenberg didn't help matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I'm sick of these inevitable defeats against Chelsea lately. They basically set a trap and we walk right into it. Infuriating. Hopefully we can score a goal against them next season.

Yeah I'm sick of these inevitable defeats against Chelsea lately. They basically set a trap and we walk right into it. Infuriating. Hopefully we can score a goal against them next season.

Charity Shield was great, though.

I know, I know...

Yup, Chelsea at home was the low point for me. Mainly because I was there, and sitting with a Chelsea supporting mate of mine, right next to all the Chelsea fans. Pretty rubbish all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

away to man u! did you lot forget or just repress it :pac:
    & the best, that first 20-30 destroying them at home

batistuta9 wrote: »

I expected that though, against United and Chelsea (especially away from home) we retreat into our shells and wave the white flag. The home performance against United last season was certainly the exception. I fully expected defeat at OT, whereas the Swansea game was just a gutless, pathetic non performance in a game we should be cantering to a win in.

that was a couple of days after too, bad week that.

that united team though, after thrashing them at home, winning there in the cup last season. everyone expecting an arsenal win & to push on for the league...

first 2 CL games deserve a mention too

What are you talking about? Away to United?

I don't remember that at all. Guess it never happened.

Dinamo fúcking Zagreb?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »

And bottle it we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Some of the worst moments for me were the last minute equaliser we conceded at Anfield, and losing a two goal lead to Andy Carroll just before half time (we were pretty much out of it already I realise). They felt significant.

Looks like the Xhaka deal is close, just read a good article on him here.

http://thesetpieces.com/world-football/bundesliga/granit-xhaka-profile-tough-tackling-midfielder-thrives-responsibility/

A bit of aggression will do no harm so long as he isn't suspended on a regular basis.
    It was my first time on that website, but seems like there's some interesting stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

One would think if as it seems Xhaka does sign that Arsene will be playing Ramsey or maybe even Wilshere on one of the wings anyway (as he had been doing with Ramsey back when Cazorla and others were fit) so it won't be too congested in the CM places esp with the departing trio.

Cech, Kos, Xhaka, Sanchez & Ozil would arguably all be arguably World Class talent

Bellerin, Monreal, Ramsey & Wilshere on thier day have the potential to be too

a CF and a CB and you really would be laughing. That said judging by Arsenal's past expecting both is def expecting too much but still I remember posting something along the lines of how I wouldn't be shocked if Arsenals dealings for this summer were Xhaka, Morata and a young defender (like that guy linkd from Bolton) and atm that would not be shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Hallelujah....Ornacle has spoken :D

so that's done deal then.

That's that then, medical goes well and we're signing a young talented player In May. Something has to go wrong here, Xhaka get's Injured during the medical.

So that's that :D

Glad we're getting business done early but I hope to god it's not the only signing we make.

cashback wrote: »
    Some of the worst moments for me were the last minute equaliser we conceded at Anfield, and losing a two goal lead to Andy Carroll just before half time (we were pretty much out of it already I realise). They felt significant.

Looks like the Xhaka deal is close, just read a good article on him here.

http://thesetpieces.com/world-football/bundesliga/granit-xhaka-profile-tough-tackling-midfielder-thrives-responsibility/

A bit of aggression will do no harm so long as he isn't suspended on a regular basis.
    It was my first time on that website, but seems like there's some interesting stuff on it.

Ugh. The Anfield game. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Cech, Kos, Xhaka, Sanchez & Ozil would arguably all be arguably World Class talent

Bellerin, Monreal, Ramsey & Wilshere on their day have the potential to be too

Nice and optimistic :)

To balance it out: Half the above get injured, the other half go off the boil for half the season; Morata signs for Spurs. Arsenal finish 3rd.

The only was is up! And the only place up from 2nd is 1st!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CatInABox wrote: »

It's just a shame that he's spent the year working magic with strikers that constantly let him down.

18 assists from the start of the season till the End of February and then none for March or April.

Bit of an odd one that. All down to misfiring strikers ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Pter wrote: »
    Nice and optimistic :)

To balance it out: Half the above get injured, the other half go off the boil for half the season; Morata signs for Spurs. Arsenal finish 3rd.

def optimistic but sign that elusive CF and you guys have a great spine now:

Cech, Kos, Xhaka, Ozil, CF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That's that then, medical goes well and we're signing a young talented player In May. Something has to go wrong here, Xhaka get's Injured during the medical.

That gave me a great laugh! Thanks.... Would be bloody typical, at the unveiling and he trips over the kerb and smashes his ankle!!! Only at Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How many of our players will come home from the euros in one piece?

No bothers :)

article-2549425-1B1C786E00000578-355_634x471.jpg

wonga77 wrote: »
    How many of our players will come home from the euros in one piece?

Not Wilshere anyway

No bothers :)

article-2549425-1B1C786E00000578-355_634x471.jpg

Strangest signing ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Strangest signing ever

he helped us win that FA Cup :P hahah

greendom wrote: »
    18 assists from the start of the season till the End of February and then none for March or April.

Bit of an odd one that. All down to misfiring strikers ?

It's a weird one, alright. Cesc did pretty much the exact same thing last season with Chelsea. Think he was up around 15/16 around halfway through the season, then only 1 or 2 more.

Strangest signing ever

The boy could play a bit tbf and the signing itself seemed logical at that juncture as we needed reinforcement.....except for one very very significant detail

...except for one very very significant detail

Yeah that's what I was referring to, he could ping long balls around the pitch all day though, very good passer of the ball.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36347078
    His arrival will strengthen a midfield depleted by the departures of Mikel Arteta, Tomas Rosicky and - possibly - Mathieu Flamini.

Flamini is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement