Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is that so bad if it keeps Ozil happy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Now I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but this summer's transfer window has a big moves feel about it. With Pep's arrival, along with a new Chelsea manager, a new ManU manager (maybe) and new management in some of the big teams on the continent, you get the feeling that there will be a striker or 2 available this year. There could be a big release (like Ozil was) and we would be well set to pounce!

I would take most of the names bounced around here. Benzema would be great, but unlikely. Morata? His figures in Italy aren't that good, are they? I haven't seen much of him. Lacazette hasn't exactly set the world on fire either this year… We need something that would be an improvement on Giroud… And that won't be easy. OG is a good striker, but he's not world class.

If we do seal the Xhaka move, and then get some defensive cover (even young talent) and some typwe of better striker option than OG, this will have been a great window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

No bothers :)

article-2549425-1B1C786E00000578-355_634x471.jpg

We also signed bischoff who was also injured with a bad knee.

That was an even more bizarre signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Özil wins club player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Xhaka looks a top signing. A midfield of him and Ramsey is just too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Xhaka looks a top signing. A midfield of him and Ramsey Santi is just too good.

;)

domrush wrote: »
    ;)

Haha Top player but Ramsey is the best CM in the league. With a ball playing holding midfielder beside him, we will see that again.

Haha Top player but Ramsey is the best CM in the league. With a ball playing holding midfielder beside him, we will see that again.

Hold on a minute… Is that confidence I see creeping into your posts??? Down with that sort of thing! :D

emmetlego wrote: »
    Hold on a minute… Is that confidence I see creeping into your posts??? Down with that sort of thing! :D

Haha When we actually act like the big club we are early on in the market, its hard not to! Still need three more.

Haha When we actually act like the big club we are early on in the market, its hard not to! Still need three more.

I'd love 5 more… A Striker, RW, CB, LB and RB. The last 3 I'd be happy with prospects, the first 2 WC only need apply! If we got the first 2, I'd be happy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'd love 5 more… A Striker, RW, CB, LB and RB. The last 3 I'd be happy with prospects, the first 2 WC only need apply! If we got the first 2, I'd be happy enough!

I'd be happy with Van Djik, Deulofeu and a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Maybe 2 years ago you could say that but not anymore. His passing ability is severely lacking and really struggles positionally. If we played with a 3 man midfield then he'd be unreal.. but we don't. He just doesn't match up well with any of our other midfielders in a 2 man system.

I can see him being played out on the right flank a lot next season. He can still contribute to the midfield but without the worry of leaving use open when he makes his signature runs.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I can see him being played out on the right flank a lot next season. He can still contribute to the midfield but without the worry of leaving use open when he makes his signature runs.

You know what? I wouldn't object to that at all!!! As long as we get the striker we all desire!

I'm listening to the Arsecast right now, and they're beginning to discuss it now!

Right, Higuain it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

You know what? I wouldn't object to that at all!!! As long as we get the striker we all desire!

I'm listening to the Arsecast right now, and they're beginning to discuss it now!

Right, Higuain it is!!!

Yup, Ramsey or Jack on the wing would bring a nice balance. Ramsey played some of his best football this season out on the right.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Yup, Ramsey or Jack on the wing would bring a nice balance. Ramsey played some of his best football this season out on the right.

And it would be typical Wenger. He likes one of his wingers to be the working, tackling back type. That's Ramsey/Jack to a tee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Great to see Mesut get our player of the year award. Technically the best player at the club since Dennis Bergkamp and one of our greatest players of all time. Its just a pity he is at the club at a time when we are quite average. Imagine if he was at the club feeding the likes of Henry, Ljungberg or Pires :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Really???

mansize wrote: »
    Really???

100%. Hopefully he is given the armband over the summer and we get close to ten years out of the Ramsey - Xhaka partnership.

A lot of people have seen Ramsey for what he is.

6 good months and that was it.

He was woeful this season, but as soon as he got his chance in the middle some said now he will play to his world class ability.

Here we are now saying he will shine when put back on the wing.

He's not good enough. He can run all day, big deal.

Lacks concentration, positional awareness, simple passing is abysmal and is selfish in front of goal and 9 times out of 10 hits it wide or over the bar.

He will be found it properly this season.

• Advertisement

JustTheOne wrote: »
    A lot of people have seen Ramsey for what he is.

6 good months and that was it.

He was woeful this season, but as soon as he got his chance in the middle some said now he will play to his world class ability.

Here we are now saying he will shine when put back on the wing.

He's not good enough. He can run all day, big deal.

Lacks concentration, positional awareness, simple passing is abysmal and is selfish in front of goal and 9 times out of 10 hits it wide or over the bar.

He will be found it properly this season.

He's just one of those players people like to use as a scapegoat, I don't know why.

His passing stats are in the high 80's, I believe. Far from a poor passer. The question has to be asked why he hasn't managed to get near his form of a couple of years ago.

Regardless, I don't think he's been 'found out'. While Wenger is still manager, you'll have to get used to watching him play.

Ramsey best CM in the Prem Lge? Pull the other one. Hes not even the best CM at the club ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    18 assists from the start of the season till the End of February and then none for March or April.

Bit of an odd one that. All down to misfiring strikers ?

Yep

https://twitter.com/Orbinho/status/722391433974521856

https://twitter.com/Orbinho/status/731846626092847105

Basil3 wrote: »
    He's just one of those players people like to use as a scapegoat, I don't know why.

His passing stats are in the high 80's, I believe. Far from a poor passer. The question has to be asked why he hasn't managed to get near his form of a couple of years ago.

Regardless, I don't think he's been 'found out'. While Wenger is still manager, you'll have to get used to watching him play.

Yep, as long as wenger is still in charge we will have mediocre players getting their game regularly.

Couldn't have put it better and the reason we are limping along each year when we should be lifting proper trophies.

Too many average players.

Or to put it another way, too many good players under performing!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Yep I'd say so too.

That and Giroud is super average.

Good sub but nothing more.

And there's too many average players.

I always said you'll never win anything with too many average players underperforming........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Those Ozil stats highlight even more how much of a waste this season was. He goes and creates pretty much more chances than anyone ever and our players don't have the balls or the brains to finish even a handful of them in the 2nd half of the season.

He regularly tops the chances created stats in Europe and did it in the world cup too afaik.

He'd get a minimum of 20 assists a season in the league if we had a couple of decent finishers in the squad.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Those Ozil stats highlight even more how much of a waste this season was. He goes and creates pretty much more chances than anyone ever and our players don't have the balls or the brains to finish even a handful of them in the 2nd half of the season.

He regularly tops the chances created stats in Europe and did it in the world cup too afaik.

He'd get a minimum of 20 assists a season in the league if we had a couple of decent finishers in the squad.

He is an unbelievable talent. I think he is the best playmaker we have ever seen in an Arsenal jersey. I just have an awful feeling Bayern, Barcelona and Man City will be sniffing around for him after the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He is an unbelievable talent. I think he is the best playmaker we have ever seen in an Arsenal jersey. I just have an awful feeling Bayern, Barcelona and Man City will be sniffing around for him after the Euros.

Me too.
    Too many barren transfer windows might lead Ozil to suspect that he'll not win much at Arsenal under Wenger and Kronke. Unless of course something different is done soon to dispel such beliefs but don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Me too.
    Too many barren transfer windows might lead Ozil to suspect that he'll not win much at Arsenal under Wenger and Kronke. Unless of course something different is done soon to dispel such beliefs but don't hold your breath.

It's a balancing act.

The whole stadium finances thing was done so we could pay top wages thereby attracting and keeping top players.

Fan's want City/Chelsea style splurges. 'By my reckoning we need 5 world class additions this summer' and that type of nonsense.

But Wenger's going to build teams they way he always has. Except he doesn't have to sell plus players he missed out on in the past like Hazard, Mata, Essien etc, we can compete for.

It kind of forces him a bit though that he may need to match the ambition of these players. Can only be a good thing for transfer hungry fans I guess.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Losing Ozil is the worst thing that could happen to this team imo. There's no replacement for talent like that and we don't have another playmaker like him.

• Advertisement

Plus I don't get why people are so down on transfers.

The only complaint one can have recently is that we didn't sign a striker last summer.

I'm guessing Wenger took a look at the market and a look at his goalscoring options (Walcott, Giroud, Alexis, Welbeck) and figured he wasn't doing better and that someone already in the club would shoulder the goalscoring burden. It's not unreasonable to expect one of those 4 to have a good season, is it?

In the end Giroud had a good 4 months and that was pretty much it from all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd say the January window has more to do with it. We were still in the hunt but no striker was bought even though we had loads out long term.

I'd say the January window has more to do with it. We were still in the hunt but no striker was bought even though we had loads out long term.

Possibly. Strikers are tricky though.

I think Martial would have been a good buy. He wouldn't have made much of a difference to the season though.

Prior to that Costa would have done the business for us I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just seen Xhaka in an Arsenal jersey. **** just got real.

Quazzie wrote: »

Yup

https://twitter.com/CheValon1/status/733978250360291329

Quazzie wrote: »

Link?

Edit: nice one basil.

Anyone who hasn't seen much of him play I'm sure there's a few welcome to Liverpool montages of him on youtube :D

Really good start to the transfer window. Happy days lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Ci-iktFXEAAzYCT.jpg

So according to Wenger, that's one down 2 to go.

I'd imagine it has to be a striker and a RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Good signing, Ramsey best CM In the league has to be one of the funniest statements of the year.

• Advertisement

Good signing, Ramsey best CM In the league has to be one of the funniest statements of the year.

Rarely the best CM on the pitch

I'm not saying he is the best in the league but he has been at times.

I think the point being made was we may see that again with the right player beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Arsenals mid three of Carzola, Xhaka and Ozil.. yikes

The Ramsey bandwagon will have many new joiners next year.

Coquelin taking the #8 shirt :o

The Ramsey bandwagon will have many new joiners next year.

When has he ever been the best CM in the league though? I do agree he's a good player but I can't agree with that.

I'm really curious about the wing position.

We're so stocked for CMF's - Coq, Elneny, Xhaka, Caz, Rambo, Wilshire that I think one of them playing wide will be the option with Sanchez/Campbell on the other wing.

Will be interesting to see who's central and who's wide.

I think in a perfect world the wide position goes to Wilshire followed by Rambo and then Caz.

I've no idea about the midfield 2 though. I'm guessing it works on particular combinations. Coq/Caz to start the season maybe leading to Xhaka/Rambo or even Xhaka/Caz. Elneny probably backup and Coq too.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    When has he ever been the best CM in the league though? I do agree he's a good player but I can't agree with that.

2013-2014 season, he was head and shoulders above everyone until his injury and then Yaya probably finished stronger. Genuinely cant think of a CM at another club in the league that is better. City, Chelsea, Tottenham, United, Leicester, Liverpool are all no's for me. I know a lot here prefer Santi and thats fair enough.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/733999715415666688

Reliable enough follow. If we dont get a CB, Id be gutted but think we would have to go with Kos - Chambers to start the season.

• Advertisement

2014-2014 season, he was head and shoulders above everyone until his injury and then Yaya probably finished stronger. Genuinely cant think of a CM at another club in the league that is better. City, Chelsea, Tottenham, United, Leicester, Liverpool are all no's for me. I know a lot here prefer Santi and thats fair enough.

Toure was miles better that season he was scoring more free kicks than he missed at one stage and was regularly banging in goals. In fact he scored more goals than our top scorer that year and he was a centre mid which is ridiculous.

I like Ramsey as much as any other Arsenal fan but I think you're being slightly biased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement