Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on sights for shotguns

Options
  • 03-03-2016 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I was having a look on ebay for cartridge pouches/belts. I then came across a bore cartridge lase, which then directed me to shotgun sights. I haven't seen anyone using them. They seem like a gimmick and useless unless using a "slug" round (which aren't readily available here). Anyone use a mountable sight on a shotgun before? Opinions? Some of them have illuminated reticles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I have used red dot sights on driven game abroad and have shot along side hunters with them on shotguns using slug ammo and in one particular drive the only boar taken was with a plain semi auto shotgun.

IMO for feather and ground game here in Ireland there is no need for them, shot gunning with 'bird shot' is more instinctive shooting better served with a well fitted gun than extra sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

goz83 wrote: »
    I was having a look on ebay for cartridge pouches/belts. I then came across a bore cartridge lase, which then directed me to shotgun sights. I haven't seen anyone using them. They seem like a gimmick and useless unless using a "slug" round (which aren't readily available here). Anyone use a mountable sight on a shotgun before? Opinions? Some of them have illuminated reticles.

Not a gimmick by any means, and slugs are readily available to buy if you have a restricted license for your shotgun.

I target shoot in the UK in comps. T&P1, Multi target 100 - 200 yards etc.
    Read the Phoenix rules and comps. here.
    http://galleryrifle.com/data/2016/01/PHX-2016.pdf

Shotgun. SGM = pump, SGSA = semi-auto, SGC = classic,
    0735 Timed & Precision 1 SGM
    0736 Timed & Precision 1 SGSA
    0737 Timed & Precision 1 SGC
    1135 Multi-Target SGM
    1136 Multi-Target SGSA
    3335 NRA Embassy Cup SGM
    3336 NRA Embassy Cup SGSA
    5334 100/200 yds SG

Then try and shoot this comp
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057562915

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sorry to hijack the thread guys but can slugs be used from a choked gun? I have the beretta al400 unico semi auto and was always afraid to shoot a slug because it's chocked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

pm. wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread guys but can slugs be used from a choked gun? I have the beretta al400 unico semi auto and was always afraid to shoot a slug because it's chocked

Works fine with Brenneke type slugs although I believe common wisdom is not through tighter than 1/2 choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Everyday is a school day... Didn't know that thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

pm. wrote: »

Any of the shotguns I use will have a cylinder choke, which is fully open i.e. same as no choke.

Don't use a choke that's any smaller

Advertisement