Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming social welfare

Options
  • 03-03-2016 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could help me with my current situation.i will try cutting it as short as possible ..i moved into a studio flat about 3 years ago after a family house sold up i inherited some money and i wasent working but i found a landlord who agreed to let me rent as long as i wasent claiming rent allowance .that was fine with me i was stuck and had money available ...i found a job and was working until early last year ..and since then ive been living off my money i had in the bank which is now dwindling .my question is if i apply for social welfare now(not rent allowance)just basic welfare if i declare im private renting will they be able to look into my landlord because im farly sure hes not declaring and i cant risk causing a mess and ending up being told to leave etc ..my lease is long up so ive no contract or anything .any idea if ill be safe to sign on without attracting attention ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jesus. Has nothing changed. Let me get this straight....

You're worried about applying for social benefits, for which you are well entitled to apply, but are worried about how this may effect your relationship with a landlord who you suspect is not meeting his legal obligations re PRTB and revenue?

And the FF vote is back up...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Thanks for that positive input there ..well im paying about the same as a double room for a flat plus i have no bills so forgive me if i dont fancy chancing having to move and possibly end up homeless in a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

endacl wrote: »
    Jesus. Has nothing changed. Let me get this straight....

You're worried about applying for social benefits, for which you are well entitled to apply, but are worried about how this may effect your relationship with a landlord who you suspect is not meeting his legal obligations re PRTB and revenue?

And the FF vote is back up...

Try seeing the bigger picture. The op has no proof that the rent is not being declared, and given that there are no bills I suspect ops dwelling is part of LLs house. And there is no mention in the op about PRTB nor do you know if it is necessary.

Op, it sounds like you are getting a good deal and even if the above poster was right, the LL could ask you to leave for no reason at the end of 4 years. You have to consider the benefits of your current situation and whether you want to risk change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thanks for that positive input there ..well im paying about the same as a double room for a flat plus i have no bills so forgive me if i dont fancy chancing having to move and possibly end up homeless in a few months

Get the social welfare, they don't need to know the landlord's situation unless you're getting rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, apply for welfare.

If they suggest rent allowance, say that you don't want to apply for it.

AFAIK, they will only look for LL details if you're claim in RA. Otherwise they just need proof of address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement