Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Work Commuting

• 03-03-2016 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, I will be starting to work in Dublin City in an office. Looking for some advice on how to do this. What do other people do with there gear is my main question.

Just change in the office or something? Where to keep my stuff? What do other bike commuters do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wear my work clothes under my leathers and leave a pair of shoes in the office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a locker in work, so have clothes in there. If I'm out on a customer site, I just bring a change of clothes in a bag, and change in toilets. Not an issue really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I get a bus :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

tshirt and jeans under textiles, and shoes in work as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

gerrowadat wrote: »

Same. Top box on the bike for laptop if I need to bring it home for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

gerrowadat wrote: »

So do you guys head into the toliet and then change on out of that stuff? What's a decent bag to use.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Changing gear for work is a lot of hassle. My commute ended up being longer on bike than car due to the amount of time spent. Now I just leave the bike for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

gear over the work clobber, shoes left in desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I take off the textiles at the desk. Boots under the desk and gear left at the side out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Work gear under textiles also, just take it off at the desk and stuff it in at the side of the desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Changing gear for work is a lot of hassle. My commute ended up being longer on bike than car due to the amount of time spent. Now I just leave the bike for the weekend.

Have to kinda agree there. Between the changing in/out of gear, and the commute, I don't save a whole lot of time. But, it just feels nicer on the bike, especially when traffic is mad, like every Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It will save a little bit of time for myself, but the real gem for me is the parking, you can pretty much fit in somewhere close to the office!

Going to get a lift in for the first week and will try figure out where I can put the stuff etc.. Get myself a bigger bag.

I'm in Galway, so it's pissing rain all the time. Another reason I don't commute by bike anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Separate waterproofs, normal gear, shirt/pants underneath. Shoes and jacket/coat in work. Separate water proofs dry quickly and are easier to replace if they get damaged or stop working correctly.

Separate waterproofs, normal gear, shirt/pants underneath. Shoes and jacket/coat in work. Separate water proofs dry quickly and are easier to replace if they get damaged or stop working correctly.

Adds to the getting dressed & undressed time though.

It all depends on the length of your commute really, if you're going to be spending 30min + on the bike, no issue spending a few min throwing on gear.

My commute is 10 minutes with normal traffic, not long enough to warrant taking the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Adds to the getting dressed & undressed time though.

It all depends on the length of your commute really, if you're going to be spending 30min + on the bike, no issue spending a few min throwing on gear.

It was about 30 seconds, but your right.

My old cummute was into Stephens Green down the N11, so bike was the best choice by a mile. My new commute is down the M50 against the traffic outside of rush hour. I rarely do anything on the bike now, its mostly car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I do the same as everyone else. Textiles over work cloths and leave shoes at my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Work clothes under textiles, boots in a locker and change into/out of gear in the canteen. I get slagged about the time it takes but sure it only takes 10/15 mins. I know that I can get that 10/15 mins back through not having to sit in traffic, waiting in line at lights, etc like my fellow non-bike riding workmates. Also, I factor that 15 mins into my commute time, it's not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

My office has lockers to store your stuff, so I leave work trousers and shoes in work.

Wear bike gear into work, then shower and change. I bring a fresh pair of socks 'n jocks and a shirt and change into those.
    I recommend rainproof gear though cos you never know how the weather will go. Or else if you want to meet friends / go out after work, bike jeans, bike boots and a leather jacket go a long way to looking normal and still being safe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

I have this suit and it's great. Takes about 1 minute to get off and I just keep my boots on, they're fairly plain Daytona's and really comfortable.

Suit is about 10 years old or more now and still in great nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

curiousb wrote: »
    I have this suit and it's great. Takes about 1 minute to get off and I just keep my boots on, they're fairly plain Daytona's and really comfortable.

Suit is about 10 years old or more now and still in great nick.

Jesus €1200! :eek:

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Jesus €1200! :eek:

Yah, was cheaper 10+ years ago, but not a lot. I'm sure I paid close to €1,000 in total with shipping, and import tax, VAT etc...

But it is top quality gear and still going strong.

curiousb wrote: »
    Yah, was cheaper 10+ years ago, but not a lot. I'm sure I paid close to €1,000 in total with shipping, and import tax, VAT etc...

But it is top quality gear and still going strong.

I've heard of them before and they look handy for the commute alright, would love to try one on. I've heard of them leaking in the crotch though and wonder how they'd fair in an off in comparison to leathers / kevlar?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I've heard of them before and they look handy for the commute alright, would love to try one on. I've heard of them leaking in the crotch though and wonder how they'd fair in an off in comparison to leathers / kevlar?

Luckily I haven't had to test them in an off so can't comment, but look at the reviews on the site and they seem to compare favourably enough.

The crotch doesn't leak on mine, but i am on a R1100GS so sitting up quite straight. I think I remember hearing that they can be prone to leaking on a sports bike due to the riding position.

Advertisement