Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landline charges too expensive for elderly parent

• 03-03-2016 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My 87 year old mother has been a customer of Eircom for over 30 years.  She lives on her own and depends on the landline to keep in contact with family.  Her latest bill received yesterday was €134.75.  That's a shocking amount to pay out of a state pension.  Her call charges were €69 which includes mobile call charges to her sister in a nursing home in the U.K. (Irish mobile no.).

There has to be a cheaper way of doing this.  She doesn't want to leave Eir but I can't see any alternative.  She has no need for broadband as she doesn't own or operate a computer.

What are her options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Maybe try out a mobile first and see how she gets on with it, there's a few pay as you go options from Meteor, Vodafone, Post mobile and Tesco that are good value, cost 10 to 20 euro a month with included calls to landlines and mobiles. Not sure how they handle Irish mobiles roaming, does the recipient in UK pay for receiving calls?

If she wants to stick with landline then Pure Telecom seem to be only ones that offer non broadband deals with mobile add ons.

Make sure that she's out of contract with eir, if not they may charge a fee when she moves provider. In order to make sure its a smooth changeover I suggest you get yourself named as a contact on the account and do it for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Maybe try out a mobile first and see how she gets on with it, there's a few pay as you go options from Meteor, Vodafone, Post mobile and Tesco that are good value, cost 10 to 20 euro a month with included calls to landlines and mobiles. Not sure how they handle Irish mobiles roaming, does the recipient in UK pay for receiving calls?

If she wants to stick with landline then Pure Telecom seem to be only ones that offer non broadband deals with mobile add ons.

Make sure that she's out of contract with eir, if not they may charge a fee when she moves provider. In order to make sure its a smooth changeover I suggest you get yourself  named as a contact on the account and do it for her.
    Thanks!  She already has a mobile which she uses when she's out and about.  She wants to keep her landline though.  She's been with Eircom for over 30 years so I guess that makes her out of contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

30 years so I guess that makes her out of contract?

Really need to double check and then get it in writing to be sure, you don't want to find out afterwards because it will be a mess to sort out. I've heard and read stories of customers being told they're in contract when they weren't, just be careful and check everything first. The least notice you'll need to give is 30 days.

Bonkers.ie and switcher.ie are sites that do comparisons of providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She needs an unlimited all networks call package, higher base price less to zero call time charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Hi,

My 87 year old mother has been a customer of Eircom for over 30 years.  She lives on her own and depends on the landline to keep in contact with family.  Her latest bill received yesterday was €134.75.  That's a shocking amount to pay out of a state pension.  Her call charges were €69 which includes mobile call charges to her sister in a nursing home in the U.K. (Irish mobile no.).

There has to be a cheaper way of doing this.  She doesn't want to leave Eir but I can't see any alternative.  She has no need for broadband as she doesn't own or operate a computer.

What are her options?
    Hi Peig Sayers,

I'm sorry to hear this. If you're named on the account as having access, please get in touch with our customer care team via 1901 and they can review the account and usage to advise of the best possible option to reduce costs.

Thanks,
    Tony

• Advertisement

eir: Tony wrote: »
    Hi,

What are her options?
    Hi Peig Sayers,

I'm sorry to hear this. If you're named on the account as having access, please get in touch with our customer care team via 1901 and they can review the account and usage to advise of the best possible option to reduce costs.

Thanks,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

I'm not named.  How do I go about doing this?

Thanks for getting back to me,

The account holder would need to be present when you call 1901 to verify that you have the authorisation to deal with the account.

Tony

Your mother would need to contact 1901 and request to have your name added to the account Peig Sayers.
    Once this is done you will have permission to make these changes.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

Hello All - hope it's OK to join the thread. 

My parents are in a similar situation to Peig's, although they currently pay only #€60 for their Eir landline and calls, as my dad negotiated a good deal with Eir. The deal has a 12-month limit, and is coming to an end, and they are now looking for a new deal.
    They don't have a computer and don't want one; basically they are looking for the best landline deal. 
    They have non-smart mobile phones, but are open to using only mobiles, if they can get a better deal than keeping the landline. 

I would be grateful for any suggestions about bundles. Meanwhile, I'll also take a look at bonkers.ie and switcher.ie as suggested above.

Thanks All.

Antoninus wrote: »

My parents are in a similar situation to Peig's, although they currently pay only #€60 for their Eir landline and calls, as my dad negotiated a good deal with Eir. The deal has a 12-month limit, and is coming to an end, and they are now looking for a new deal.
    They don't have a computer and don't want one; basically they are looking for the best landline deal. 
    They have non-smart mobile phones, but are open to using only mobiles, if they can get a better deal than keeping the landline. 

I would be grateful for any suggestions about bundles. Meanwhile, I'll also take a look at bonkers.ie and switcher.ie as suggested above.

Thanks All.
    Hi, my mother eventually switched to Pure Telecom after Eir wouldn't give her a better offer.  She pays €31 per month (I think) for landline calls and I think mobile calls after 6?  Not really sure of the details.  Very easy to switch and there's no contract so you can opt out any time.

She's happy with the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

Thanks All.
    Hi, my mother eventually switched to Pure Telecom after Eir wouldn't give her a better offer.  She pays €31 per month (I think) for landline calls and I think mobile calls after 6?  Not really sure of the details.  Very easy to switch and there's no contract so you can opt out any time.

She's happy with the service.
    Thanks for the speedy response Peig. I'll check out PT.
    Further to the above, they phone the UK frequently and Canada about once a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks All.
    Hi Antoninus, 

The best people to discuss this with is our customer care team via 1901 they will be able to explore all options with you and advise on the best package available. Alternatively, you can chat online with an agent here

They would also need to speak with the account holder directly. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement