Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To From Here? Election 2016

Options
  • 03-03-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭

The destination of all the seats has finally been decided and the dust is beginning to settle. More of the same for Wexford and really, more of the same for Ireland. Despite the talk of "seismic shift" and earthquake election", really it just amounted to rearranging the deck chairs, FF and FG still being the dominant forces in Irish politics. What's interesting now is, what will be the shape of the next Dáil, where to for FG/FF?
    This is the first time in recent years that the only realistic option for an overall majority is FF/FG, how do others think this will play out?
    My own opinion is that Coalition is a non-starter, part of both parties' raison d'etre, is to promote the fallacy that they are somehow different and going into government together would seriously damage that perception, one of them faces the real prospect of slipping into oblivion. Add to that the doling out of Ministries and the offices of Taoiseach and Minister for Finance. Martin will not want to be seen as Kenny's whipping boy and vice versa. Enda will not want Mc Grath getting his hands on the purse strings and the "gang of Four" policy of FG/Lab was the target of much cynicism by FF over the last five years, so hardly a runner either.
    Next, FF support for a minority FG government. This was the way I originally thought it would pan out but the opposing "red line issue" of water charges would seem to make that difficult as well. FF backing down on their position would undoubtedly lead to a reversal of fortune in the next GE so I can't see them doing that, FG are adamant that Irish Water is here to stay. There is a compromise option here in suspending water charges for the duration of the next Dáil but really, that's not going to play well with the electorate and FG would likely suffer as a result.
    So, we're down to the other permutations and personally, I don't see any of them realistically finding favour with the leading players, with all of the party leaders vehemently ruling out dealing with the other but a compromise will have to be found if we are not to be back here before the summer and if that happens I think the two big players will also be the big losers. Interesting few weeks in prospect and somebody is not going to come out of it in a good light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

As a side matter - would posters change their vote knowing now what they didn't last week? I think Johnny Mythen would be a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

vicwatson wrote: »
    As a side matter - would posters change their vote knowing now what they didn't last week? I think Johnny Mythen would be a cert

I wouldn't change my vote anyway, I didn't vote FF/FG/Lab and won't ever again.
    As far as I'm concerned, a vote for any of the three "established" parties is a vote for corporate Ireland and the wholesale destruction of the social fabric of the country in favour of "the market", whatever that is.

Advertisement