Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Options Without Leaving Cert

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I left school after I finished up my junior cert and now I really want to do a course maybe even in IT or Customer Service Support.I don't know where to start to be honest a lot of the courses I have seen are really expensive and I can't really afford to go over 500.

I don't think I am entitled to any free courses because I am a part time worker, getting 11 hours a week.

Would anybody have any advice on where to start or who could help me get on the right track.

I am based in Dublin by the way.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Although your a part time worker. Are you still signing on?

saoirse200 wrote: »
    So I left school after I finished up my junior cert and now I really want to do a course maybe even in IT or Customer Service Support.I don't know where to start to be honest a lot of the courses I have seen are really expensive and I can't really afford to go over 500.

I don't think I am entitled to any free courses because I am a part time worker, getting 11 hours a week.

Would anybody have any advice on where to start or who could help me get on the right track.

I am based in Dublin by the way.

Thanks for your help

I.T. as always is changing as I'm sure you've heard, but is actually going through a significant shift from on premise infrastructure to the cloud. This is having an affect on the traditional system/network admin jobs that a lot of professional courses are produced for such as the MCSE, or what ever microsoft are calling it nowadays, so you will need to keep this in mind.

In saying this the two traditional starter courses are the Comptia A + and Network +.
    You'll find plenty of free resources online for these courses rather than having to pay for training. A lot of I.T. work requires self learning, while instructor led courses are good for advanced topics such as Cisco's CCNA as you get access to the actual routers and switches, you still need to complete self learning outside the class in order to pass them exam(s) and obtain your certification.

Best of luck

Advertisement