Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to find teaching jobs

Options
  • 03-03-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend will be finishing up a years contract teaching in the UK. Her subjects are art and home economics.

Just wondering where the best places to find jobs. At this point anything in Ireland would be considered.

Any tips/suggestions would be recommended.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Id recommend staying in UK if its an option, or maybe middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

If she has teaching council approval to teach Home Economics, she is in clover. There is a drastic shortage of Home Economics teachers in Ireland at present. I know of at least eight jobs going in the South East alone. This shortage will not last forever but the next two years should be ok. Home Ec and Irish are the two most in-demand teaching jobs. All others are more or less hopeless cases at present and into the future unless you are very, very lucky and brilliant to boot!!
    Check educationposts.com, contact HR depts in etbs..... go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Louthdrog wrote: »

Id recommend staying in UK if its an option, or maybe middle east.

She wants to come home but yeah in the short term I've said to keep her job going in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I know a couple of Home Ec teachers involved with the training college for different things. They say that although it's very difficult to find a Home Ec teacher for subbing etc that in fact there are almost no real jobs available countrywide - that it's essentially all maternity leaves and that graduates are leaving the country as there's practically no hope of securing their own hours.

There are always plenty of Home Ec jobs advertised all the time but they are all subbing so whether they ever lead anywhere long term I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Why anyone would study to be a teacher in Ireland to then have to go and teach in the UK with a different syllabus or the middle east which is a different everything.

Considering our youthful demographic I would have expected more jobs... Are there just too many teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Xcellor wrote: »
    Why anyone would study to be a teacher in Ireland to then have to go and teach in the UK with a different syllabus or the middle east which is a different everything.

Considering our youthful demographic I would have expected more jobs... Are there just too many teachers?

nothing wrong with going abroad if yer young and free and not tied to family. Permanent position... not working for 'hours' or sub work. middle east probably good tax allowances/saving opportunity.

But yess too many teachers, or more to the pt. the senior cohort have been retired off so whoever is left won't be moving for a few years . + theres so many long term non permanent not on full hours that any 'hours' that become available get divided up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

trihead wrote: »

And etbjobs.ie

And then the individual etb websites that don't use any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Xcellor wrote: »

Why anyone would study to be a teacher in Ireland to be unemployed or work 6 hours a week (if they're lucky)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Why anyone would study to be a teacher in Ireland to be unemployed or work 6 hours a week (if they're lucky)
    One of life's mysteries. It's not as if it's only recently things have turned to the worse. It's a bit like doing the Lotto every week - it 'could' (but probably won't be) you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement