Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The jealousy thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just stay in the 'Hotel California' right lane. It's pleasant and safe, but you'll never leave :p

I rode around it in the relative calm of mid-morning, with no particular place to go :) would hate to have to use it in rush hour, that's for sure.

They're not messing when the signs say you must get into lane. If you're not in the left lane before the junction before the one you want to exit on, you've no chance.

It's not really that off-topic, if some of the wilder urban motorway ideas proposed for Dublin 40-odd years ago had taken shape...

We dodged a bullet there, but unfortunately the urban rail envisaged back then still mostly hasn't materialised either :mad:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I almost think Ireland doesn't have the ambition for world class infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dardania wrote: »
    I almost think Ireland doesn't have the ambition for world class infrastructure.
    There's sadly no almost about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A field and goalposts does not constitute a 'gold plated sports facility'.

Are the coaches trained and accredited? What are the changing rooms like? Hot showers? We couldn't manage hot showers for our ladies 6 Nations team a couple of years ago ffs.

Most IRFU clubs are in the ha'penny place when compared to many GAA clubs. The IRFU may take in a lot of money but most of that goes on running the professional game with only very small alumnus trickling down to the clubs and the women's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dardania wrote: »

Its a function of our political system I believe - staffed with a lot of politicians who can't recognise the benefits of anything beyond its direct impact, and if that direct impact doesn't look like it'll provide them with enough reelection cachet, they avoid it. Something like Metro North has a small enough direct impact, but the second order impact is huge[2]. They just won't look that far because (a) our media aren't smart enough to see these extra benefits, (b) some of the electorate are in dire financial straits and would feel aggrieved by perceived spending on a fancy shiny ribbon cutting ceremony that they can't see improving their lives (thanks to the inadequate media in part), (c) the parochial effect.

I'd have to say I think a lot of this is a holdover from the pre-internet era of politicians, and we might see a big change over the next few years in how our politics is structured (already did a bit last year).

[1] In terms of likely voters whose lives it'll improve.
    [2] Vastly increasing the amount of desirable residential areas, therefore decreasing city rent prices, therefore reducing homelessness, all the while improving Dublin's chances of capitalizing on Brexit, attracting large investment, and bringing loads of extra money into the economy to benefit all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Don't normally get jealous about roads, but Just spent 2 weeks in Croatia / Bosnia, The E65 North / South Motorway is probably the Best Motorway I've ever driven on and it's built high in the mountains way from the scenic coastline and tourist spots, it has Hundreds of Bridges / Tunnels, if built in Ireland it would have cost billions! Even the trunk road connecting Zadar to the E65 is Irish HQDC standard. The Road from Ploce to Mostar in Bosnia was vastly better than any of our N Roads.

I even drove on Local Roads (the D116) which goes through rural villages / olive groves on an Island, and it was top quality most of the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was in Scotland last week and visited Edinburgh and Glasgow - both great cities.

While Edinburgh has a tram system, it was difficult to see any trams - they are far from frequent (and very ugly).

Glasgow has the clockwork orange (metro) that has just a circle route that does not serve anywhere that I wanted to go so I did not go on it.

What did interest me was their bin system. They had these skip/bins in the street that people just put their domestic rubbish into - communal bins. Much cheaper to operate that ours, and not something to have demonstrations about. It is a simple and sensible solution and gives rise to clean streets. Dublin please copy.

I also travelled quite a bit by train. A fifteen minute frequency between Glasgow and Edinburgh - 50 minute transit time and the line currently being electrified. Overall train system is brilliant with trains being on time and about 75% full. Irish Rail please copy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What did interest me was their bin system. They had these skip/bins in the street that people just put their domestic rubbish into - communal bins. Much cheaper to operate that ours, and not something to have demonstrations about. It is a simple and sensible solution and gives rise to clean streets. Dublin please copy.
    People would set fire to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

spacetweek wrote: »
    People would set fire to them.

In fairness now in Glasgow they have a similar breed called neds if that's what your thinking of. This is Glasgow we're talking about not some kind of far away more socially advanced place like Berlin or Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I also travelled quite a bit by train. A fifteen minute frequency between Glasgow and Edinburgh - 50 minute transit time and the line currently being electrified. Overall train system is brilliant with trains being on time and about 75% full. Irish Rail please copy.

Scotland has two reasonably sized cities which are quite close. This is ideal for a rail link.

Dublin and Cork/Belfast are roughly equivalent but much further apart.

Apart from the links to England and between Glasgow and Edinburgh trains in Scotland are pretty slow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray Head wrote: »

Apart from the links to England and between Glasgow and Edinburgh trains in Scotland are pretty slow.

I did notice that as well, but they have a better penetration into the more remote districts. But also I thought the usage was pretty high. I estimated that the trains I travelled on were about 75% full - all off-peak.

I think that currently off-peak usage of Dart trains to be about 10%. If they ran 4 coach trains then this figure would double.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Edinburgh and Glasgow have virtually overlapping suburbs. They're not that far apart so I guess their economies are interconnected a bit more than say Dublin-Cork hence the high frequency. Still it would be nice to see Dublin Cork up to half hour frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/28/warmth-from-tube-trains-could-heat-uk-homes-as-part-of-governmen/

One scheme being developed in Islington, north London, will use heat from the Northern Line of the London Underground network. In Stoke-on-Trent, plans are under way to tap renewable geothermal heat from deep underground. The council is also exploring recycling heat from pottery kilns from the ceramics industry.

Just wow

What about the idea of electriflying the Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast and race pendolinos down those lines running between Cork and Belfast via Dublin.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What about the idea of electriflying the Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast and race pendolinos down those lines running between Cork and Belfast via Dublin.

What about the idea of electrifying the Connolly Maynooth line? Lets not lose the run of ourselves - we can get jealous about small things too. :)

Separate intercity and suburban lines what 21st century 1st world intercity trains have to share trackage with suburban trains.

murphaph wrote: »

Germany's public spend on infrastructure is actually as low as Ireland's. As in extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Germany's public spend on infrastructure is actually as low as Ireland's. As in extremely low.

Yes but they're livingto regret that not. A lot it is struggling.

Perhaps because they used to spend so much on it and built their underground systems and motorways and whatnot in previous decades. We are playing catch-up with Germany etc. so should be spending double or triple what they spend per capita. Next year you'll be able to do Berlin - Munich in 4 hours, central station to central station. That will be competitive with flying as Munich airport is a 1 hour train trip to Munich central station after exiting your plane at the minute and when Berlin's airport finally moves it'll be a good 40 minutes there. The flight is around an hour long but factor in check in time and the train will be more attractive as you can get a solid 4 hours work done on your laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The costs of reunification with East Germany must be a factor in that reduced infrastructure spend too, approx 2 trillion euro :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Is it just me or do these threads always end up being a debate about how "It's a pity we weren't bombed to shìte"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fwiw my wife is German, and she says that the infrastructure spending (what she calls "everyone must get a newly paved road to their house") in Germany came alongside a significant downturn in their quality of education. Whether the two are connected or not, I don't know, but it is notable that as infra investment has decreased, the education system has largely turned itself around.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Is it just me or do these threads always end up being a debate about how "It's a pity we weren't bombed to shìte"?

Now that's the level of jealousy we want to see here

I was on the metro in naples there a while ago and what beautiful piece of modern architecture it feels more like an art gallery than a public transport system if mn was to be built it would have to look like that oh wait we'd probably have to stick a load of advertising hoarding

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I was on the metro in naples there a while ago and what beautiful piece of modern architecture it feels more like an art gallery than a public transport system if mn was to be built it would have to look like that oh wait we'd probably have to stick a load of advertising hoarding
    Naples probably has GDP per capita levels between a half and a third of that of Dublin.

It's about the same size and population density.

It has had a metro since 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Naples probably has GDP per capita levels between a half and a third of that of Dublin.

*officially

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

It's about the same size and population density.

It has had a metro since 1991.

It's also got a DART-style network, the Circumvesuviana. I remember travelling on it with the missus on our honeymoon and a bloke got on, somewhere near Ercolano IIRC, and started busking with an accordion. He got off after a couple of stops. You don't see that between Dalkey and Killiney.....

Ireland's too small for a metro. We are too broke for a metro

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2767323

To be delivered before the proposed MN date too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ireland's too small for a metro. We are too broke for a metro

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2767323

To be delivered before the proposed MN date too
    The current premetro line from the North Station to the Albert stop in Vorst will be transformed into a fully-fledged metro line by 2022.

Upgrading a line that they already have? Wow. Inspired. It's a crazy idea isn't it?
    Expanding the metro line from the North Station to Bordet will cost 857 million euros

That's about €3.25bn here in case anyone was wondering.

---

Bordet to Brux Nord is about the same as Artane to Connolly FYI

Advertisement