Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Louth will be one of first areas to avail of Eir's new 1 gbps FFTH broadband

Options
  • 03-03-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Eir this morning revealed the first 100,000 premises in rural locations around Ireland that will get 1Gbps broadband speeds in the next 12 months. The company also revealed that it is creating 50 new apprentice roles to help facilitate the rollout.

Eir said this morning that, in the next 12 months, some 100,000 homes and businesses across 200 communities in all 26 counties will get 1Gbps broadband.

The first 100,000 locations in rural Ireland to get 1Gbps FTTH from Eir -

Louth: 7,570 premises

Ardee 680
    Castlebellingham 540
    Dunleer 1110
    Termonfeckin 790
    Carlingford 570
    Hackballscross 460
    Louth 530
    Omeath 260
    Ravensdale 820
    Riverstown 1030
    Drogheda 500
    Dundalk 280

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/2016/03/03/eir-reveals-first-100k-rural-locations-to-get-1gbps-broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭bikeblue

I would love to get 1Gbps but currently I am still on copper and currently without an active contract.
    Would it help to move now to eFibre or would an existing contract (new contract is 18 months) become a obstacle to move over?

I haven't moved yet because they say my current connection (copper) is as fast as I would get with eFibre (12Mbs) because of the distance to the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

bikeblue wrote: »
    I would love to get 1Gbps but currently I am still on copper and currently without an active contract.
    Would it help to move now to eFibre or would an existing contract (new contract is 18 months) become a obstacle to move over?

I haven't moved yet because they say my current connection (copper) is as fast as I would get with eFibre (12Mbs) because of the distance to the cabinet.

That's not what this is about - it's not "eFibre" but rather fibre to the home (FTTH). Eir plan on rolling out this infrastructure over the next 3 years - apparently to all of Louth except where I live :-(

Edit: I would kill for 12Mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any inklings as to what it will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

It aint cheap............Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

500 premises in entire Drogheda. Zero chance of getting it then! No peep from Vodafone+ESB crowd either. :(

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    500 premises in entire Drogheda. Zero chance of getting it then! No peep from Vodafone+ESB crowd either. :(

Drogheda is an urban location so it already is covered by other plans. The issue Eir are addressing is that people who don't live in urban areas are lucky to get 5Mbs and the plan is to go all in and provide direct fibre links. For a while, this will mean that some rural areas will be faster than some urban areas, but the reality is that the towns will catch up easily. You can get 100Mbs all over drogheda and already you can get 1Gbs in parts.

bpmurray wrote: »
    You can get 100Mbs all over drogheda and already you can get 1Gbs in parts.

I agree with you in general, but in reality you can't really get 100Mbps everywhere - I am in Dublin Road and my line can only rated for maximum 30 Mbps, and in reality I get only about 20-21 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

1 mb in tenure :rolleyes:

nearly at dial up speed

I get only about 20-21 Mbps.

The poor wee lamb. Us country lads can only dream of speeds like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree with you in general, but in reality you can't really get 100Mbps everywhere - I am in Dublin Road and my line can only rated for maximum 30 Mbps, and in reality I get only about 20-21 Mbps.

Try this part of rural Louth where the max we ever get is 2.6 Mbps.

• Advertisement

I very well know the pain of unreliable 1 to 1.5 Mbps, I had that for ages (while paying for 24 Mbps in theory) until Dublin Road area went FTTC a year or two ago. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. However me wishing for faster network access doesn't take away network speeds for you guys, as far as I can tell.

PS: I personally love the freshness and tranquility of countryside setting, and I hope to move away from town / estate type living one day in future. I wish many Gbps connection everyone! Peace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

I've noticed a lot of Eir vans around Tinure recently- could it be ftth is on its way to us?

I've noticed a lot of Eir vans around Tinure recently- could it be ftth is on its way to us?
    Maybe they're full of hard disks with the internet on them - they'll drop around so you can download something in a reasonable time.

Nah not a chance - a fella working for air lives in mullary manor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dunleer exchange is ahead of the others in the expected timescale for FTTH rollout at Autumn to Winter 2016 while Termonfeckin is Winter 2016 on the eir website. It looks like almost all of those lines (including all of Tinure itself) will be offered FTTH (1110 out of 1120 lines).

i bet im one of those 10 lines that wont get it !

Advertisement