Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 200m lens for Nikon

• 03-03-2016 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a Nikon D5300 that I'll be taking with me while I travel for two months. I'm looking for an all-purpose lens I can use for both street photography and those situations where I'll need to zoom in to capture a temple from afar! I currently use a 35mm prime lens and have never had use for a zoom lens, yet.

I'm relatively new to photography and a bit confused by the different 200mm lenses available after doing some online research. Does anyone have suggestions for the "best" 200mm lens for under 300e?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

sheepman wrote: »
    I have a Nikon D5300 that I'll be taking with me while I travel for two months. I'm looking for an all-purpose lens I can use for both street photography and those situations where I'll need to zoom in to capture a temple from afar! I currently use a 35mm prime lens and have never had use for a zoom lens, yet.

I'm relatively new to photography and a bit confused by the different 200mm lenses available after doing some online research. Does anyone have suggestions for the "best" 200mm lens for under 300e?

the nikon 18-200 DX VRII is a great all round lens for travelling. Just checked there and it's over budget but you might get one second hand within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

the nikon 18-200 DX VRII is a great all round lens for travelling. Just checked there and it's over budget but you might get one second hand within your budget.

Thanks! I came across this one in a few reviews. It's quite a bit above my budget... It's not that I'm limited to 300e but I just don't want to spend too much on a lens before I get a bit more serious about photography. Would you say this is a good long-term investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭manna452121

I am using one of these http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-18-250mm-3p5-6p3-os-hsm-macro might be worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I got this Tamron a couple of years ago as an all purpose travel lens.
    For the price I genuinely can't fault it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Thanks! I came across this one in a few reviews. It's quite a bit above my budget... It's not that I'm limited to 300e but I just don't want to spend too much on a lens before I get a bit more serious about photography. Would you say this is a good long-term investment?

it's definitely a great all round lens (Ken rockwell has a good review on it), and if well looked after i'm sure retains its value quite well so even if you'd decided not to continue in photography, you'd probably get 60-80% back, or buy a good second hand one and that amount could be higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would the Tamron 18-200mm VC Nikon Fit Lens €232.99 be of any use? Think I have the Canon version (got the Tamron 18-200 in Argos a while back), and find it to be handy.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go for the Tamron 18-200mm. The price is very reasonable and I'm obviously not looking for a professional-grade lens, so this is perfect.

Quick follow-up instead of starting a new thread. Can anyone recommend a cheap (< 100e) fisheye lens for some fun shots?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Quick follow-up instead of starting a new thread. Can anyone recommend a cheap (< 100e) fisheye lens for some fun shots?

Not sure what price they are over there now but the Samyang 8mm I used when on a cropped sensor was great value. You will have to check if it will meter on the D5300 (it did on the D300 but there was issues on entry level at the time) It is a fully manual lens but this is not too much of a hassle with a fisheye. You may pick up a used one in your budget.

There are fisheye adapters but from what I have seen the quality is quite low.

Thank you!

Advertisement