Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portable power...

• 03-03-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Later this year I will be doing some travelling, much of which will involve being in areas with no, or limited access to electricity. Sometimes it will be for a weekend, but other times it will be for over a week.

The shop where I bought my eGrip was fairly insistent that only the adaptor and cable I got with it should be used for charging, and I have stuck to that since I got it. The trouble is that will not be possible for me when I'm away.

I was thinking of using one of the portable power packs that are used for mobile phones. A decent size (10,000mah +) would probably suffice. Would they be suitable, and are there any issues when using them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

j26m wrote: »
    Later this year I will be doing some travelling, much of which will involve being in areas with no, or limited access to electricity. Sometimes it will be for a weekend, but other times it will be for over a week.

The shop where I bought my eGrip was fairly insistent that only the adaptor and cable I got with it should be used for charging, and I have stuck to that since I got it. The trouble is that will not be possible for me when I'm away.

I was thinking of using one of the portable power packs that are used for mobile phones. A decent size (10,000mah +) would probably suffice. Would they be suitable, and are there any issues when using them?

http://www.bestecig.ie/portable_powerbank.html

Something like that apparently works,I've never used one so I can't really comment but it would be worthwhile doing a bit of research into the options available before purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I never used the egrip cable or adapter,it's still in the box,I have charged mine all over the house,phone charger,extension cable with usb's,a powered usb hub,computers & the cig lighter in the car & I have had no problems at all,don't use anything that puts out more than 2amps & you will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

A decent size (10,000mah +) would probably suffice. Would they be suitable, and are there any issues when using them?

Well... it depends.

That 10,000mah power pack is really just 4x 18650 (2500mah) so my preference is for more 18650's unless you really need to charge a mod with built-in battery or phone.

Also your not going to get that 10,000mah out of a pack as you will lose a certain about due to inefficiency of going from one battery to another and even that pack will lose up to 20% in the first 24/48 hours and discharge slowly just waiting to be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

8mm wrote: »
    Well... it depends.

That 10,000mah power pack is really just 4x 18650 (2500mah) so my preference is for more 18650's unless you really need to charge a mod with built-in battery or phone.

Also your not going to get that 10,000mah out of a pack as you will lose a certain about due to inefficiency of going from one battery to another and even that pack will lose up to 20% in the first 24/48 hours and discharge slowly just waiting to be used.

That's an interesting point. The eGrip has a built in battery. I might consider whether one with a changeable battery might suit me better for this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

j26m wrote:
    That's an interesting point. The eGrip has a built in battery. I might consider whether one with a changeable battery might suit me better for this kind of thing.

Nebox is somewhat similar I think. Have two of them and have had no issues myself (my wife managed to break one though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Well... it depends.

I have a ton of 18650's for my device, but normally I'll just bring 2 spare batteries for a day. On the occasional long days and overnights where I run out of power its really convenient to charge from a power bank that I'm normally going to bring along anyhow to charge other bits and bobs, phone, tablet etc.

I'd say it depends how much you vape, just make sure its a decent Powerbank cause theres plenty of crap out there - never fun to fun to run out of power.
    and even that pack will lose up to 20% in the first 24/48 hours and discharge slowly just waiting to be used.

I'm using this one and its been solid the past year+ and it has pretty minimal time discharge (only drops about 2% per week) http://www.amazon.com/Bavin-Ipower-Mobile-Power-Bank/dp/B00VWGTE8K/ref=lp_11454394011_1_1?srs=11454394011&ie=UTF8&qid=1457490074&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Get yourself one of these. Pretty cheap and decent amount of mah

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VSLE5WO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

Thanks.
    Maybe a huge power bank is best - the Nebox seems more for sub ohm and lung hits, which isn't what I'm after, and there doesn't seem to be many "rugged" kits out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

my advise would also be to use a 1.6 or 1.8 coil on a lower wattage, if you don't already that is.
    If you are into sub-ohming you might want to rank up the ohmage and get used to vaping at 9 or 10 watts - this will conserve your battery too

• Advertisement
Advertisement