Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build Advice

Options
  • 03-03-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey Guys,

I am looking at building a relatively high end gaming PC and was hoping to get your thought on my config

Intel Core i7 Quad-Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Processor CPU
    MSI Z170A Gaming PRO Motherboards
    MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB,PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)
    HyperX Fury Black Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4
    ACE 750W BR PSU with 12cm Red Fan and PFC - Black
    Samsung LS27D590CS 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor (Black) - (16:9, 3000:1, 350 cd/m², 1920 x 1080, 4 ms

Does it matter the motherboard is DDR3, the RAM is DDR 4 and the Graphics card is DDR5?
    Is a seperate cooler something I should look at, they son't seem that pricey.

All in it looks like costing be about €1300

Thanks,
    Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The motherboard being Z170 will need DDR4, so that build is fine.

I'd get a better PSU though. You'll only need 750W if you plan on adding another two 970s. A good 450W unit will be fine. 500W if that's easier. You should be spending at least €50 on it, to get a good quality one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You could drop to an i5 with 8gb RAM for no performance hit virtually

Get a DDR4 motherboard

DDR5 on the GPU doesn't matter

Go for an EVGA PSU, 600 w is loads

Get a decent case like an NZXT or Nanoxia

Storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The Z170A looks like it supports DDR4, so shouldn't be a problem. Are you looking at an old model or something?

DDR5 is more correctly GDDR5 and is a higher frequency video memory on the graphics card but isn't a motherboard compatibility issue.

Do get yourself a CPU cooler, stock ones are bare minimum, and as you said they're cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WilliamEgan

Is it better to get two hard drives a Solid state just for gaming and then a big one for everything else, does that increase performance for gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Probably wouldn't affect performance any noticeable amount over having everything on the SSD, but it's cheaper.

I have an SSD for Windows, and SSD for gaming and a large drive for regular storage, some people like to have just one SSD for Windows and games though

Advertisement