Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Advertising in euros but charging in pounds

Options
  • 03-03-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I just made an online purchase from a uk online website, i changed the currency to euros and all the way through the buying process the price was shown in euros but when checking my banking, i seen a charge for a different amount that equaled a pound price.

Where do i stand on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

levitronix wrote: »
    Hi all

I just made an online purchase from a uk online website, i changed the currency to euros and all the way through the buying process the price was shown in euros but when checking my banking, i seen a charge for a different amount that equaled a pound price.

Where do i stand on this ?

If you have a screenshot /order confirmation of a EUR amount then you can complain to the company that they have incorrectly charged you. You can also instruct your card provider to issue a chargeback for the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

It depends on the currency local to the shop.

My website will display in Euro and Sterling but the transaction is in Euro (my local currency) Based on how often the exchange rate is updated the price shown on the website may be a true or false reflection of the actual rate of sterling.

For example lets say I forgot to update the rate so €100 is shown as equal to £50 on my website, someone from UK goes on changed Product X from euro to display in £ and thinks "happy days!! I'll have that!" but when they come to pay in Paypal it is the Euro amount that is being charged not the Sterling so Paypal will apply their rate of the day to the conversion and the price charged will display as (for example) £80 and not £50.

Nothing is wrong other than sloppy practise in terms of updating currency prices for exchange in my example but maybe something similar has happened in your circumstance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

this process was not through paypal my visa was used, i have all screen shots and advised to ask for partial refund, or visa will look for charge back

also my email receipt does not show any currency only an amount, im sure it will be resolved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Maybe read the terms and conditions that you accepted when ticking the box in checkout.

My guess is that it states that orders are charged in sterling and any other currency shown is approx.

That's how I do it except my site is in Euro and we get a lot of orders from UK.

Its also quite standard for many stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

levitronix wrote: »
    this process was not through paypal my visa was used, i have all screen shots and advised to ask for partial refund, or visa will look for charge back

I was using Paypal as an example of a rate different to the one on the site being applied.

Same would apply to any payment gateway if the exchange rate on the site is not updated. Price is in local currency and anything else should be treated as an approximation in the conversion.

Was the price you paid the same pound price that was shown on the site before conversion?

sconhome wrote: »
    I was using Paypal as an example of a rate different to the one on the site being applied.

Same would apply to any payment gateway if the exchange rate on the site is not updated. Price is in local currency and anything else should be treated as an approximation in the conversion.

Was the price you paid the same pound price that was shown on the site before conversion?

been on the site today and prices are all different, looks like the price euro to pound rate on the site was 1:1
    but earlier that day I tried to buy same bike and paid through paypal only to have my payment refunded due to the store not shipping to parcel motel.(address not matching) and item was same price. So its not like it seen an error and jumped on it.

Either way its not my mistake I wont be paying the difference, or the item gets returned.

I have the whole process documented and VISA is happy with what I shown them, but want the store respond before they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

As i said above, read the terms and conditions that you accepted when placing your order.

You'll probably find they are covered and you are wasting your time.

You of course have the right to refuse the item, or alternatively take the item and then return it (at your expense).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I would always pay in the vendor's local currency, they will never give you as good a rate of exchange as you will get from your credit or debit card. Hotels in the UK try this on when you're checking in - you have to make sure to say you will pay in sterling or you will get screwed by a terrible exchange rate. Amazon UK also tries it on at check-out time, any time I've made a note of their proposed euro price, it's always more than what shows up on my bill when I pay in sterling and let Mastercard do the conversion.

charge back paid into my account issue resolved:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement