Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a monitor smaller than a certain size

Options
  • 03-03-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a PC display that has a total height, including stand, of under 335mm. It's to sit in an aperture in an office, and there's no physical space for anything taller.. Currently there's a Dell 15" E156FPb monitor that fits into the space and it's in need of being changed as it's on the blink.

Preferably with a VGA connection..

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Get the monitor repaired.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That Dell monitor has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Most monitors nowadays are 16:9. A 15" 16:9 monitor would be wider and shorter than that Dell. What room do you have to work with width wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's a few 15" dell monitor on adverts if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its a permanent fixture then you could opt for a VESA mounting bracket (tenner on Amazon) and forgo the stand freeing up a good 15mm or so for extra screen real estate, if you have room for the width.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Yes, there's ~600mm available for width, so no worries about current aspect ratio monitors from a width point of view.

It's not often that you'd hear of a situation where almost all of the currently sold monitors are too large. The main problem is that the stand height is usually not specified adequately.

I had thought of the vesa mount, the issue is the monitor will often be moved about as the install location is a receptionist's desk, and the aperture the monitor sits in cannot be seen by the customers - as there is often some information on the screen that passers-by should not be able to casually see. I'll run it by the users when I'm next chatting with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What exactly is the scenario here? It doesn't seem efficient that the usual place for the monitor to sit is also a place where it shouldn't be. Unless I'm missing something.

If this is actually the case, another option would be a VESA arm. The monitor can be mounted in this space the same was as if there were no stand, and it can be pushed/pulled a fair amount in any direction if needs be.

Advertisement