Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miracast

• 03-03-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭

my tv model in LG LM640T

Does my tv support miracast (wireless) or is my model too old ??. it does support intel widi and DLNA ??.

i do have a MHL connecter but its so frustrating hooking up wires overheating my phone etc.

LG is by far the worst smart tv system ever, crap apps and the one i want wwe network does not work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

TV companies lose interest in your model once it's a couple of years old, they stop updating the s/w following which various smart TV functions and apps stop working. You're much better off getting an Apple TV or one of the Android boxes. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player with Smart TV functionality and Youtube stopped working on it a couple of years ago, I bought a Philips 42" 'Smart' TV from the official Philips shop in Dublin in September 2009, the last s/w update was July 2010 and none of the functions work properly! Smart TV sounds great in the showroom as part of the sales pitch with all the fancy logos on the box but that's all it is - a sales pitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I bought a Samsung that promised 'Evolution' upgrades that replaced the electronics each year for an eye watering amount of money (I think €375) - that was 2012. At Christmas I bought one of the first Evolution boards (EK1000) for considerable less and that brought my ES7000 (2012) level TV up to F7000 (2013). It has transformed the TV. Since then upgrades of software have been thin on the ground and I get the odd message telling me this or that service is being discontinued.

However, I am happy with the original TV and the Evolution upgrade. I do not think there is another one to take it further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Just buy a Chromecast... Works pretty reliably and the cost is such that you can buy an upgraded one every couple of years without thinking.
    Pretty wide support on iOS and Android too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i love 3d movies and that was the selling point for me in 2013 when buying my tv and lg has very good 3d but the smart options are terrible. The wwe network app does not work on my tv (using my samsung dvd player for that) and i have contacted lg support and they could not figure it out. they have a completely different web os in there 2015/2016 models. 3d seems to be gone now

if i could afford to buy a new tv id consider an Android tv or an android box. My phone is a HTC one m9 and has youtube/netflix to tv options and i have the allcast app for shbox.

If i buy a 3d blu ray with miracast features will i be able to use the miracast on the tv through the player ??

guy in harvey norman said i need a miracast tv (even if i buy a miracast blu ray player)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Does anyone know if the Sky Mobile TV app supports Miracast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

Thanks for that. It applies to Sky Go and not the mobile TV app but I feel it will be the same case. I am thinking to buy a Miracast stick anyway and I will post the result here if I try it.

I also wanted to try with MHL cable but my current phone (Sony Xperia M) doesn't support it. My previous one (Xperia Z) did but the Sky app was not working in that phone. Is there a chance these can be connected (ie mobile app not working in MHL capable phones)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another thing to remember is that "smart" TV's have awful security problems.

Imagine running your PC without any firewall. Imagine your PC having a microphone and sending everything you say to a third party. It's happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jdelis wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It applies to Sky Go and not the mobile TV app but I feel it will be the same case. I am thinking to buy a Miracast stick anyway and I will post the result here if I try it.

Sky do not like the notion of you streaming content (that you pay for to equipment you own) at all.. their Android players won't even work on rooted devices.

Miracast/WiDi won't work either (I've tried it) as it throws an error. Other reports online echo this. The only way to get Sky Go/mobile content from a laptop/tablet to a TV is with a HDMI cable and that's apparently because they don't have the necessary access to the hardware to block it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Paritally a question of rights for online streaming, but also a question of Sky wanting you to pay the quite extortionate charge for multiroom viewing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement