Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can your employer contribute to your contributory pension scheme?

• 03-03-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Does anyone know How much can your employer contribute to your contributory pension scheme and still get tax relief on their contributions.

Im almost 50.
    I was going to retire this year, but my employer wants me to stay.
    They have offered me a few choices, but im only thinking of putting off the retirement for 1 or 2 years.

One option that they mentioned is that they can pay me another 20% of my salary straight into my pension fund. That way i wont pay tax on it.

At the moment they pay in 10% and I pay in the max % im allowed to get full tax relief on myself.

My question is, if I ask them to pay another 20% into my pension scheme on top of the 10% they already pay into it, then do they still get tax relief on the now 30% they are contributing to my pension fund?

The answer will effect my negotiations with them.
    I know its another question for an advisor, but im not seeing him for a couple of weeks and im in the middle of negotiations now already.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maximum funding limits are very high - likely to be in excess of 100% of salary.

So the e'er will get a tax break on any increased contribution. They'll also save employers PRSI.

Having extra paid into your pension is great but check carefully how benefits can be taken.

Get proper advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Get some tax advice as there are so many variables that grow depending on your individual circumstances. Ultimately you need to look at this from an employer and a personal tax point of view as your employer's pension contribution can cause you to pay more income tax. Half an hour with a tax advisor will cost €70-100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

As long as it's being paid into an approved pension scheme (rather than a PRSA or personal pension), the employer's contribution won't affect your tax relief or your take home pay.

The pension provider or the scheme trustees can produce a Max funding quote to show how much can be paid on without exceeding the maximum fund. If the proposed contribution plus your contribution is less than the maximum shown on the quote, there won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Thanks for the info.
    I have an appointment with a FA, but I wont see him before negotiations happen.
    So I might just lay out what im looking for and then talk to the FA to confirm.

Advertisement