Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred from soccer forum.

Options
  • 03-03-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭

On the face of it, the moderator was absolutely correct in following the rules in that I called somebody a scumbag, and I understand that this breaches the charter. However, my argument is that this should not be a "one cap fits all" when it comes to who I was talking about.

I referred to ex Chelsea manager who has a history of being caught, live on television, eye gouging an opponent in a sideline altercation and then turning away. This I feel, and I think most level headed and civil people would agree, was the actions of a scumbag. He also has numerous other sins, but this is his greatest that I know of. I certainly agree that rules are required as I said in the PM with the Mod (who I have no issue with, as rules are rules) otherwise anarchy would reign.

However, my appeal is based on the application of the rule here. The man clearly fits the bill of the term 'scumbag' like a common thug. To call him it publicly is not uncommon on various threads and I have seen it before here, so to be banned for it, came as a surprise.

Let me say this also, I will not use the term again, nor will I use 'descriptive' terms as loosely in future.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

EL.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Have you discussed it with the mod per the diagram above?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Steve wrote: »
    Have you discussed it with the mod per the diagram above?

I have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And?

Help me out here :)

He/she referred me to here after I asked was there a course to appeal his/her decision not to revoke or accept my point. That said, I accept as per the rules strictly applied, I did break the charter, but the actions of the person I spoke about clearly indicates he was just that!!! I think?!?!

OK, thanks.

I'm waiting to hear from the mod and will get back to you.

• Advertisement

Hi emmetlego,

I've heard from the mod concerned and he sent me on the brief PM exchange you had.

First off, you weren't banned for the comment, you got a yellow card. This is a reasonable response by the mod and is applied consistently in the forum for such a rule breach.

As you know well, if you accumulate enough yellow cards, you get a ban - and this is what happened.

As regards flexibility of the rule, that is not something for discussion here. I suggest you bring it up in the next soccer forum feedback thread. Personally, I think the rules work, adding more flexibility on when to apply them would lead to accusations of favoritism and mod bias. It is better and fairer to apply them consistently to everyone.

Card (and subsequent ban) upheld.

You may appeal this further to an Admin if you wish, please let me know.

S.

That seems fair. Would you, in your honest opinion think there is any point in going to an Admin with it? I mean, if you look at my history here, I only really had one tirade that deserved a yellow, the other 2 were expressions, and moments of emotion, as opposed to being deliberately malicious.

I am unhappy obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have gone this far. But if there's little point appealing my case, then I'll accept and move on.

I am not going to say you shouldn't take it further - that is your prerogative and your decision.

Whether I agree or disagree with your position is not relevant here (personally, yeah, eye gouging is low and not something that should be tolerated in any sport) however, I can only decide whether a mod action was fair and justified and if the rule allegedly broken was clearly defined in the forum. In this case I can see no fault.

I would hope my judgement is sound and obviously I think admin would agree with it but you never know, maybe they would have an angle I missed.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi emmetlego:

On the assumption that you are appealing I'll give an admin ruling on this.
    The cards & subsequent ban were applied correctly & fairly by the Mods, & there was no reason for Steve to overturn the ban.
    emmetlego wrote: »
    ...if you look at my history here, I only really had one tirade that deserved a yellow, the other 2 were expressions, and moments of emotion, as opposed to being deliberately malicious...

A couple of the cards were given for actions that you say were not "deliberately malicious." That's all well & good, but with Soccer being an emotive subject, the mods need to adopt a rather strict approach to posts that cross the line - otherwise thing go off-topic or arguments can escalate very quickly.

So, at the end of the day & in all fairness - the ban is upheld.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement