Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with skip

Options
  • 03-03-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm in a very stressful situation and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm currently renting a flat and I usually park my car on the driveway. It fits 2 cars, mine and one of the neighbour's car. The landlord ordered a skip to be delivered to the house the first week of February, we were told in advanced, and that was fine. Both the neighbour and I moved our cars outside, and when one skip was full, another one came. So we were just over 6 weeks parked outside.

Monday, just gone, we were told that the skip on the driveway was the last one, it was taken yesterday and both of us parked our cars overnight. I think what has annoyed me most is the letting agents were around the house yesterday evening, doing whatever and never knocked on our door to let us know another skip would be delivered (today). I had my car parked in, they saw this and said nothing.

Luckily, I was at home at home for lunch, as the skip truck was outside ready to deliver a skip. The letting agent asked me to move my car and I did, but because the neighbours were at work there car wasn't moved. The skip is now partially blocking the side I would usually park, and it will be for 2-3 weeks. I do compromise but its down to lack of communication that theres now a skip blocking space. I can just see this causing friction between me and the neighbours.

I just want to add that the skips are being used for clearing a house out, that the landlord is renovating into a B&B or flats. The house is about 10 mins drive away. I don't see why it can't be placed there. Is he allowed to put a skip on another property? It is just an inconvenience for myself and the neighbours.

I'm here nearly 5 years, have never had trouble and always pay my rent on time.I also pay a lot on rent. I don't see why I should have to pay full price if my car can't be parked in. I just don't know what to do.

Helpful advice please, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Your landlord has a cheek. Tell him you are paying rent to include the driveway & that you've been very patient so far but it's a major inconvenience& this is the last week that his skip can be on your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 codghost89

I know, but in 5 years I've only met the landlord twice. Everything is done through a letting agent. She is a nice woman but the communication is bad.

Is there any type of reference I could show her saying the landlord can't do this? A law or something from PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do you have it in writing anywhere that your lease includes off road parking? If not all you can do is appeal to the agent's good will.

No it doesn't say. Its more the inconvenience, we live on a road that has a clearway on both sides, so you have to switch the car on the opposite side depending on the time of the day. I have long days in college, and its hard trying to rush home for lunch to park my car on the other side. If I don't it gets clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

You need to ring the letting agent & have a frank discussion with her. The landlord has rented the property to you & your neighbour. He is treating it as if he lives there himself.
    If the lease doesn't say that the driveway isn't included wouldn't anybody consider the driveway as part of the rental property? Plus it has been treated as if it is included for five years.

• Advertisement

I'll have a talk to her and hopefully she does something. Can't do this for 3 more weeks

Thanks for the help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't move your car. It is illegal to put the skip on the road. Landlords problem, not yours.

But would it be illegal on a driveway with 2 tenants who always park on it? Would love to have some backup in case they try to refuse moving it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

codghost89 wrote: »
    But would it be illegal on a driveway with 2 tenants who always park on it? Would love to have some backup in case they try to refuse moving it :/

No. Not unless it's specified in your lease which you've said it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

How many flats are in the complex? Is it a house divided up into flats? How many flats would have access to the parking. Is it just communal parking between the people living in the flats or as said previously have you a designated spot?

• Advertisement

Yes a house with 6 flats, and two of us have cars. It is a normal driveway and we have always parked our cars on it with no problems. If the agent rents a vacant flat she doesn't say about parking as she knows more than 2 cars won't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Op, are you renting the full house? And your neighbour also rent from the same ll the house next door and you share a driveway?

No just one flat, neighbours in a separate flat upstairs. There's 6 flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you have been receiving free-off-street parking - which isn't included in your lease (the important part of this story) - for some years. And now you you have lost access to this freebie.

Sorry for you troubles and all. But really you need to either accept the inconvenience associated with no-street parking in the area, or rent yourself a carpark somewhere convenient.

I'm paying a lot on the rent so I don't see it as a freebie. I talked to the letting agent this morning and she said she would help out. She is just the middle person. It was the lack of communication that a skip was coming has caused this. I have in writing from the landlord stating that the right side of the driveway is designated for my car, and other half is for the other neighbour.

Also I can park outside but with college it makes it very inconvenient. As I said before I have to rush home to change the car over the road, as it is a clearway. The neighbour is also annoyed with the situation.

I just don't think the LL can put a skip where he wants.... the house hes renovating has a big enough front garden to place a skip.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

Advertisement