Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Mortgages Available

Options
  • 03-03-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi Guys,

I am asking this question on behalf of my sister, she is looking for advice on where they could get a mortgage. Her husband is on Disability due to a severe accident he had and they have four kids. They are currently living in a council house and are paying the council the rent each month. It is a very small 2 1/2 bed house and they were told by the council that it will be a long time before a 4 bed house becomes available. She wanted to know if there are any mortgages out there for people on disability, she thought the council would give her a mortgage to buy a house but does not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's your sister's income?

Doubt they council would give her a mortgage (if they're doing them any more - I'm not sure), because she is adequately housed. Not well housed, for sure, but adequately, and that's what councils have to provide for those who cannot house themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yeah I can't see it personally, but without any idea as to her income its hard to say for sure. Also you haven't said how much they'd be looking to borrow.

I can't imagine how a couple with one income plus one disability payment and 4 dependents would be approved for a mortgage by a commercial provider, unless that one income was extremely substantial, but given that they're living in a council house, the likelihood is that it isnt.

Advertisement