Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cheap 1150 cooler

Options
  • 03-03-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for a cheap 1150 cooler. Currently, getting the following noise;

It's not the HDD's, and from keeping an eye on MSI Afterburner, the noise would be most evident when there was a spike in the CPU usage. Thus, looking for a replacement for the current stock cooler. Not going to spend much, as I'll be immigrating in a few months. Don't want to risk waiting until I go, however.

Thus looking at this which is only €25 in the local computer parts shop. The 4670k is not oc'ed, so would it be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless the fan is physically blocked and is "bouncing" back and forth I dont think thats the cooler. Strange sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you positive that it's the cooler? Never heard a cooler making a noise like that. It should be very easy find out what it is. A cooler could only make any sort of noise like that if it was making contact with something else. I know this has come up before but it shoulds like a hard drive/dvd drive or something of that nature. Run the PC with the side off and turn it sideways and just keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you positive that it's the cooler? Never heard a cooler making a noise like that. It should be very easy find out what it is. A cooler could only make any sort of noise like that if it was making contact with something else. I know this has come up before but it shoulds like a hard drive/dvd drive or something of that nature. Run the PC with the side off and turn it sideways and just keep an eye on it.
    Disconnected all HDD's, and the above noise happens when only running the SSD's (have no optical in this machine). Ran CrystalDiskInfo when the HDD's were connected, and it said that they are all fine. Shall run the PC over the weekend on it's side, to see if I still get the noise.

Had gotten new case fans there at xmas there, but the sound was there before and after I put the new fans in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sounds like a 'heavier/more metalic' mechanical noise than a fan would make.

Is the heatsink properly fixed?

Maybe it is moving a bit when the fan ramps up?
    from keeping an eye on MSI Afterburner, the noise would be most evident when there was a spike in the CPU usage

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Any loose cables in the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Is the PSU properly seated or screwed into the case? It might be hopping around when the fans spin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

My money's on a fan. Actually reminds me a lot of the sounds PS2's used to make when games crashed, so ruling out you having a disk drive, the only thing spinning in there must be a fan, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm about to pull the trigger on this
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=JCEACO-AC-FREEZER-I30
    Arctic Cooling Freezer i30

Don't need spectacular cooling, just want something decent & quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Picked up an ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev.2 for just over a tenner on Amazon, got free delivery with a few other items. Can be got on eBay for around €20 inc. delivery. Replaced an Arctic Freezer 13 that was just too much for my liking. Have my 2500k up to 4.0mhz with this and it's still quieter than the Freezer ever was. Have it just over a month so no complaints, cheap and quiet as requested.

Advertisement