Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Input to computer from DVD player sold as TV one?

Options
  • 03-03-2016 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I've just found that my desktop computer's internal DVD drive has developed a problem.
    At the same time the DVD player I got to go with my old TV has been made redundant (by the new TV's DVD slot).
    Will this standalone DVD player work with the computer? (I have to get its internal drive sorted, but meanwhile I could at least play disks on the computer).

The DVD player's booklet has no mention of PC connection (but then that of the computer speaker set that's improved the new TV doesn't mention TV either).

I can't spot any output connections on the DVD player that match any input ones on the PC.
    The DVD player has its own mains lead. Its outputs are (according to the booklet) "Component, HDMI, Scart, S-Video" (the latter having 4 pin holes).
    The inputs on the PC, as far as I can tell/find out (apart from USB) are Firewire, audio-video input for spider cable, audio L/R RCA input, composite RCA video input & S-video 9-pin mini-DIN (same overall size as the DVD player's connection).

DVD player is Nikkai A99HR.
    PC is Packard Bell Ixtreme 2711. It has a TV tuner in case it makes any difference, probably analogue given its age (never tried it).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks for the link, mp22. I'm definitely going to do that if there's no easy way to fix the internal one.

There may be a way to fix the particular problem that's even simpler than replacing it, but I just don't have the time to find out at the moment, especially as the desktop's currently in use most of the time for other stuff (laptop's waiting for the spare time to sort a power problem).
    So meanwhile, if there is any simple way to use the DVD player it would help with some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A replacement DVD drive for the PC would cost about 15 euro and take about 2 minutes to replace. By far the easiest option.

If your computer actually has component or composite in like you're saying, you would still need software to use it...just so much easier and painless to replace the DVD drive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What sort of a monitor are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

(TFT) monitor is LG Flatron L204WS (no connections other than the traditional chunky computer to monitor one).

I do agree that it's probably easiest to just get a new drive, but in this case it's worth it to me to try a few quick possible fixes I've read of, before ordering a new one (and waiting for delivery). After a while not using it, when commanded to open I could hear it repeatedly starting to move and being blocked by something. Could be just its cover (on the computer case) getting stuck because of dust etc (it slides down just before the tray opens, but now stops halfway down).
    Sorry to bore you with the details, but I didn't want to seem unappreciative of your very sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You should open the case to see you can get at the cover from the inside. You'll have to remove DVD drive first, but this is very easy.

Advertisement