Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braveheart Triathlon Ben Nevis

Options
  • 03-03-2016 11:18pm

Has anyone here ever done this?

I haven't even done a Try a Tri yet :rolleyes: but this ultimately my goal race and has been since before I started learning to swim in November just gone.

I've a long long way to go with my swimming. Like looooonnnnng way. I'm still very much in the slow lane pushing away. I've just joined a new gym specifically for their lessons so I'll hopefully start to see some improvements over summer months.

I do run and I have recently started cycling. I've done one marathon and will be doing longer cycles now that the scary frost is beginning to lift.

Is it reasonable to aim for this in September 2017? 18 months to go from zero to half ironman over a mountain? Or am I completely and utterly deluded? I will do this race. Definitely. Just trying to figure out of my timelines are way off and if I need to consider looking toward 2018 instead.

www.bennevisbraveheart.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Looks fun :D I think it's impossible to say until you see how you get on in a shorter tri. If I were you I would continue to have 2017 as my goal and you'll know yourself closer to the time if you need another year. Or maybe you could get yourself a relay team for this year and get a feel for the race. I'm sure you'd be well able for the run bit and if you had two friends who could be persuaded to do the bike and swim you'd be sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

climbed ( walked up ) ben nevis a few years ago, at the same time there was a hill race going on up and down it, they were flying up and down it, its not the steepest mountain in the world or the toughest climb but it is a long trek up and down.. there were a few posters around for the triathlon and that certainly made me curious.. there was a programme on about it last year
    here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syrLsotAggw

actually dream team televisions channel on youtube is well worth a look lot of good events on it ..

edit cold swim !! 7- 13 degrees !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

that's cold water. moving from pool to OW can be a big step for people. i don't think you'd have any problems getting the swim up to that distance, but moving it from pool to OW will be an important step. however, i think if you target getting the swim better by summer, start doing some OW swims, including a shorter tri with a nice sheltered swim, you'd be well placed to put in a decent winter of training knowing what you were at, and i think you'd be up for this, but you'd at least be at this point next year with a clear idea if you were ready or not.

if you were swimming the distance comfortably in the pool by march next year, with OW expereince from the end of this summer where you were comfortable in the water, i'd see no reason you couldn't be ready for september.

if you are only looking to complete and not compete the bike and run will be fine by then.

dont underestimate running uphill after a bike though, my first olympic distance had a steep uphill run after a pretty tough bike. my legs locked solid at the very start, and i had to suffer the worst pain for 7km uphill before turning for home

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The quicker you try to do this the higher the likelihood you will injure. I am a fellow lunatic who loves your attitude, but if you think youre gonna love the sport and have longevity in it, then theres no harm taking your time and not just ticking the box but being happy with the performance you put in. I jumped in to longer races before I was ready and I did them but I'm not happy now with how I did in them. And I had been warned about that here. :)

Advertisement