Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Force Fitness Test

Options
  • 04-03-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

The 2.4km run - just wondering is this test done outside on a flat track, or on varying gradient or inside on a treadmill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mr16as

i did my fitness test in collins barracks, cork. we used the square outside the main buildings for the run (tarmac). the square is very gently sloping, almost flat. if youre in reasonably good shape you should have no problem passing, its not as difficult as it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Teaforme

mr16as wrote: »
    i did my fitness test in collins barracks, cork. we used the square outside the main buildings for the run (tarmac). the square is very gently sloping, almost flat. if youre in reasonably good shape you should have no problem passing, its not as difficult as it sounds!

Thanks for that. I'm in good enough shape. Do they let you know if you need to pick up the pace though, as running isn't part of my usual activities Id be worried about misjudging the pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I did my firness test four weeks ago in the curragh and its a down and back course 1.2 km each way with a gentle up hill on the retuen leg. no one is there to tell you your time. The first incline i had of my time was when i shouted my name crossing the finish line and my time was shouted back. My advice to you would be to check your pace and dont go out like a cat off a hot tin roof. I ended up having to re test as i did just that and burned out. Im in ok shape run a fair bit but have no speed to my ability in any form so second time round i just went out and ran as i normally do and with 500 meters to go put the hammer down and came in comfortably. It is within reach if you have a basic level of fitness and you run it your own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Teaforme wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm in good enough shape. Do they let you know if you need to pick up the pace though, as running isn't part of my usual activities Id be worried about misjudging the pace!

Why don't you measure out 1.5 miles with your car or google maps, and run it a few times to get an idea of the pace you need to pass?

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    I did my firness test four weeks ago in the curragh and its a down and back course 1.2 km each way with a gentle up hill on the retuen leg. no one is there to tell you your time. The first incline i had of my time was when i shouted my name crossing the finish line and my time was shouted back. My advice to you would be to check your pace and dont go out like a cat off a hot tin roof. I ended up having to re test as i did just that and burned out. Im in ok shape run a fair bit but have no speed to my ability in any form so second time round i just went out and ran as i normally do and with 500 meters to go put the hammer down and came in comfortably. It is within reach if you have a basic level of fitness and you run it your own way.

Thanks. Was worried about that exact scenario! Hopefully everyone else is more clued in on the pace so I don't go too far off.

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    Why don't you measure out 1.5 miles with your car or google maps, and run it a few times to get an idea of the pace you need to pass?

Just done exactly that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

The last thing the officer said to the group was if i have any advice to you its go out hard ao i did�� And everyone else did too but remember dont try and keep up with anyone else just do it your own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kitessa87

Hi folks, I have my fitness test and interview dated on 5 th of November at Curragh DFTC , any tips before it? Getting quite stressed before I do prepare myself and should handle it no problem but a biggest challenge is going to be interview. Anyone know how it looks like ?
    Cheers

Kitessa87 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have my fitness test and interview dated on 5 th of November at Curragh DFTC , any tips before it? Getting quite stressed before I do prepare myself and should handle it no problem but a biggest challenge is going to be interview. Anyone know how it looks like ?
    Cheers
    I have done fitness/interview twice in collins barracks cork (once for RDF, once for PDF) and both are the exact same, apart from the fact that PDF interview is just a tiny bit trickier.
    Advice for fitness:
    -watch DFmagazine fitness test video on youtube for the correct push-up/sit-up stance
    -start running at least 3 times a week before fitness test and become familiar with the distance required (2.4km if i remember correctly)
    -practice push-ups/sit-ups regularly (practice them the way the DF want them done to avoid bad habbits)
    -don't eat/drink too much the morning of the test, just enough so that you don't feel hungry
    -take it easy during warm ups before test, i found the warm ups a lot more tiring than the actual test
    -give it your all for the last 2/3 laps during running test

Advice for interview:
    -Dress well unless otherwise stated to do so
    -mention every team you're on, and how you're able to work very well in each (how you pull your weight)
    -DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES mention anything about guns, knives, bombs, tanks our any kind of fighting/weapon
    -although it can be intimidating, try not to appear too nervous (just a small thing)
    -they will ask about teamwork and motivation and about yourself (hobbies ect) so be prepared

However the MOST IMPORTANT TIP is to RELAX!! to be completely honest, the vast majority of people will pass interview stage no problem, and once you are some way fit, the fitness should prove no obstacle either! hope this helped, best of luck!

mr16as

Thank you so much. Its a lot for me really. Its only 2 weeks for a test. Try to exercise 5 times a week and I do bits and pieces for interview as well.
    Do you think I should mention I trained Ju Jitsu and like combat fights or this is bitta to far like for a women and for na interview for RDF
    Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Well if you actually have trained in some form of martial arts i would strongly recommend that you mention this as the DF encourage participation in sports as a means of keeping fit and team-building.
    However i would not recommend that you portray this experience as some form of conflict related benefit (e.g. "i can fight people"). The DF wants recruits who work well in a team, are both physically and mentally fit and who are highly motivated, not people who want to fight.
    So my advice would be to emphasize the sporting element of the martial art.
    Also, gender is no barrier in the DF, and both males/females are encouraged to pursue a sporting/healthy lifestyle.

mr16as wrote: »
    Well if you actually have trained in some form of martial arts i would strongly recommend that you mention this as the DF encourage participation in sports as a means of keeping fit and team-building.
    However i would not recommend that you portray this experience as some form of conflict related benefit (e.g. "i can fight people"). The DF wants recruits who work well in a team, are both physically and mentally fit and who are highly motivated, not people who want to fight.
    So my advice would be to emphasize the sporting element of the martial art.
    Also, gender is no barrier in the DF, and both males/females are encouraged to pursue a sporting/healthy lifestyle.

Thank you so much for that. You really clarified everything for me. You help is much appreciated. :)
    Now I feel I ready for it. Prepared my list of examples for each topic, hopefully that will go easily and won't take to long.
    I know I have strong background with work team, co operation and motivation, I just have to use my arguments properly.
    :)

Advertisement