Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is McGregor cool with God(s)?

Options
  • 04-03-2016 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So,

Tonight I came across an interesting Tweet from a guy I know, Joe. Let me start out by saying Joe's a good guy that I have a lot of respect for. I engaged (as you will see below...) and another Guy I know, Chris, whom I also hold in great respect furthermore engaged on the topic.

Corrispondance

Joe: Although, I am Irish & admire his skills. This is blasphemous (Quoting picture attached to thread)

Me: @joe Blaphemous to which God?

Joe: @me the one True God

Me: @Joe Respect to you and your God Joe. But there's plenty of Gods worshipped my millions with as much proof as yours.

Joe: @me Like?

Me: @Joe The point im (poorly) trying to make is : to say yours is the '1 true god' is possibly just as insulting...

Joe: @Me no doubt it is, but it's the truth

Me: @Joe In your opinion. And I respect that Joe.

Joe: @me my opinion ain't much, just like anyone else's. Only tellin' it how it is in this case

--Chris enters corrispondance---

Chris: @Joe & @me According to what? Do you have an FACTS to be up your claim of absolute truth? Nope.

Joe: @Chris & @me we have been down this road before, Chris. No point asking a question that you don't like the answer to

Chris: @Joe & @me Ha! I can quote scripture better than half your fellowship can Joe, and you know it. The truth will set you free man.

Joe: @Chris & @Me are you sure about that? Do you know my fellowship to say that one way or the other?

Chris: @Joe & That's actually a very logical question. No, I don't. Now apply the same logic to your bronze aged belief system.

Me: @Joe Your faith cannot be denied mate, howver there are millions from other culures with similar faith in their gods

Joe: @me my faith or anyone else's faith is not the key here, but the object of one's faith is what matters

Me: @Joe You say your god is the one true god (as a matter of fact). I hope that one day proof can be found ðŸ‘The Key is..here in lies that the poster is no more blasphemous that your claim that your god is the 'one true god'.

Joe: @me just to be clear I am not picking on the poster primarily. Conor was wrong to say what he said, he crossed a line

Me: @Joe I don't think he did. I suspect we have a fundamentally different interperation on 'facts' and 'morals'.

Joe: @me facts & morals are objective not subjective.For example,it's wrong to rape, fact,nobody's opinion can change this

Me: @Joe & @Chris To claim what Conor said is wrong sits badly with me. Trivialising the definition of 'wrong'

At this point I made reference to the restrictive platform that is Twitter and asked Chris & Joe to join me here to continue....

Fundamentally, Conor McGregor Said he is cool with Jesus, and he is cool with All the gods, Gods recognize Gods - Is that 'wrong'?? 'Blasphemous'?? Does that get you a ticket to hell? Purgetory maybe? Or does it simply make a few people chuckle and admire the self confidence one can posess? Perhaps the process of evolution through natural selection has brought Mcgregor to the position he is in to confortable make such a claim and this should be appreciated?

Join in if you have feelings or an opinion on this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yep, it's blasphemous to any monotheistic religion. Joe too spoke in blasphemous terms - to anyone that follows a religion that places another god or gods at the top of the ladder (or insists that that's the only one on said ladder). Blasphemy is subjective, based on which religion you follow and what your holy scripts say about it. Therefore, everything about the dialogue up there was blasphemous to someone. Just comes down to which religion you particularly care about blaspheming against!

Doesn't mean it's -wrong-, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All the above seems to be misunderstanding various points. I finally worked out who McGregor was, and what he was saying, and the point seems to be that McGregor is identifying as a god, and that Jesus is ok with that. So I don't see how any other gods come into it.

Whether it is blasphemous, well it is supremely egotistical, but other than that, lots of very religious people frequently make definite statements about what god thinks and wants, so I can't see it is that much different.

What does it have to do with Spirituality though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pretty sure he thinks he is God.

Advertisement