Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed camera van on Waterford to Kilkenny road spotted

Options
  • 04-03-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Speed Camera van on the Waterford to Kilkenny road just before Grovine just around the left bend last night 7.30pm..First time seeing one on the that road..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

In the mornings they can sometimes be found near Danesfort ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Don't go over the speed limits and you won't have to worry where speed cameras are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

DerryRed wrote: »
    Don't go over the speed limits and you won't have to worry where speed cameras are located.
    We don't, but the locations of grovine and danesfort are not listed where go safe can setup...it's very easy to be caught as grovine is an over taking zone...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

pegasus1 wrote: »
    We don't, but the locations of grovine and danesfort are not listed where go safe can setup

Surely if people know where the speed cameras are located, this defeats the purpose. People will stay under the limit in the areas they know there is a speed camera and take chances if they think there is no speed camera. I think the location of speed cameras should change every day to keep people on their toes.
    ...it's very easy to be caught as grovine is an over taking zone...

don't overtake then if you are going to break the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

don't overtake then if you are going to break the speed limit.

i always thought that rule was nearly more dangerous

• Advertisement

Spotted them on the fly over on the links road heading to the M9 this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

The Gosafe vans must only operate where they advertise and have signs up. The theory is that over time it will change driver behaviour as people get used to driving slower on certain routes.
    The Garda Gatso speed vans, however can operate anywhere

earlytobed wrote: »
    The Gosafe vans must only operate where they advertise and have signs up. The theory is that over time it will change driver behaviour as people get used to driving slower on certain routes.
    The Garda Gatso speed vans, however can operate anywhere
    They, gosafe have setup previously in a village north of Dublin, with no signs setup and not listed as a zone to operate, and no accidents there...

The one I saw in Grovine, I am sure was a go safe van...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Statistics prove the vans make driving safer, however some are located for revenue purposes, especially on the n76 between kk and cuffesgrange, you cannot overtake until the grange. It is so easy to say if you do not speed, we are all human, driving without due care is it youngsters company reps, old folk ,lorry drivers, van men/women improving the roads will not help, tailgaters there are a group wo need watching, but not me i am near perfect, foxy

They, gosafe have setup previously in a village north of Dublin, with no signs setup and not listed as a zone to operate, and no accidents there...

The one I saw in Grovine, I am sure was a go safe van...

Well, if you were caught outside a go safe zone, you couldn't expect to pay a fine

• Advertisement

Statistics prove the vans make driving safer, however some are located for revenue purposes, especially on the n76 between kk and cuffesgrange, you cannot overtake until the grange. It is so easy to say if you do not speed, we are all human, driving without due care is it youngsters company reps, old folk ,lorry drivers, van men/women improving the roads will not help, tailgaters there are a group wo need watching, but not me i am near perfect, foxy

There have been a lot of accidents there in the past.
    The combination of lowered speed limit, improved road surface and the fear of getting caught has surely prevented further accidents/fatalities/injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

...don't overtake then if you are going to break the speed limit.

Yeah and when slow driver decides to speed up when he/she is getting overtaken. Happens all the time.

Sensible drivers make sensible choices. If I'm overtaking I want to complete the maneuver safely, quickly and be back on my own side of the road.

earlytobed wrote: »
    Well, if you were caught outside a go safe zone, you couldn't expect to pay a fine
    was not caught....read the title of the post

Maybe the driver got a phone call, and had to pull into a crafty spot..Fat chance!..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah and when slow driver decides to speed up when he/she is getting overtaken. Happens all the time.

My God, drivers who do this are lucky I'm not allowed to carry a gun. Nothing worse than being stuck behind miss Daisy doing 50 then they hit a straight and they decide they're Lewis Hamilton.

I don't think they park outside of their zones, a friend of mine used to operate them and he said they park in the zone and near a speed limit sign.

I went out to Callan yesterday and there was a van and a checkpoint further up. Whilst I think vans have a preventive role and flashing them is fine as are gardaí with speed guns, I really think people should not flash Garda checkpoints. I think the gards should be catching people who drive without insurance or a full license, drive a defective car or are drunk or stoned. They may also be looking for criminals or stolen vehicles.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

was not caught....read the title of the post

Maybe the driver got a phone call, and had to pull into a crafty spot..Fat chance!..

Ok pedantic Pegasus....if ONE were to be caught outside a gosafe zone ONE could not expect to pay a fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I really think people should not flash Garda checkpoints. I think the gards should be catching people who drive without insurance or a full license, drive a defective car or are drunk or stoned. They may also be looking for criminals or stolen vehicles.

Agree,
    Also I know somebody who flashed motorists in relation to a Gardai checkpoint back in the 90's. 5 hours later they were driving back the same road and the checkpoint was still there.

Turns out they had flashed an unmarked Gardai and they got an awful bollocking for doing so as Gardai said they could have been trying to catch somebody and flashing other motorists would have warned them.

To be fair the Gardai at a very valid point, I never flash other motorists unless there is an actual real danger on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see some people driving slow on country roads - 50km/hr or less on what are decent roads, stuck behind wishing they would go a little faster as I have to concentrate more when they are going too slow.
    Then as we reach Kilkenny and the signs for 50km/hr, they speed up as I stay within the speed limit. It annoys me...

I was heading out the Callan road just off the roundabout two years ago or so, and doing the speed limit, this big articulate lorry blew me out it, so I let him by, when I reached Callan, the Lorry was no further advanced than I was.

People should stay within speed limits, we will all be dead long enough, so no point adding risk to save seconds or minutes.

The majority of the Callan road towards Callan is 60km so no point in being in a hurry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

The n76 from kk to Clonmel is a nightmare, overtaking is so limited, Autosport is right to say no point being in a hurry, however there is a lorry driver whose limiter has been tampered with and exceeds the lorry speed limit which i think is 80kms, correct me if i am wrong, he will drive you off the road given a chance or sit in your boot with full lights on, i have been passed doing 80kms with the truck on the wrong side of the road, and then pulled over making me swerve. The camera van, yes it may reduce speed but it is also a revenue making project.

Advertisement