Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avis Rental car with Triangle Tyres

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Exactly my point too. You buy relatively nice cars and previous owners have been more than happy to put those tyres on the car.

Neilw wrote: »
    I never said I bought cheap tyres.
    Cars I bought through private sales had cheap tyres fitted. They were replaced with real tyres :pac:

I enjoy driving, I like to have a car setup as best it can be, whether it's fresh OE suspension components or premium tyres to ensure it handles correctly.

I don't buy to a budget when it comes to something I drive, lots of people do as to them driving is a task or a chore which they don't enjoy so budget is reduced, fit the cheapest.

Exactly my point too. You buy relatively nice cars and previous owners have been more than happy to put those tyres on the car.

Lots of people buy relative nice cars for vanity reasons only without actually knowing anything about cars. Cheap tyres and not servicing it also goes hand in hand. 161 Audi A4 1.2 TDi cheep tax with Triangle and the same oil in it for 100k would be ideal for many. If you could order that combo from factory with second hand oil and save €200 lots would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Great Wall don't sell a petrol version here. Will washed diesel do you?

samih wrote: »
    Lots of people buy relative nice cars for vanity reasons only without actually knowing anything about cars. Cheap tyres and not servicing it also goes hand in hand. 161 Audi A4 1.2 TDi cheep tax with Triangle and the same oil in it for 100k would be ideal for many. If you could order that combo from factory with second hand oil and save €200 lots would do it.

Neilw cars don't strike me as cars that have not been looked after well by their previous owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Building a brand reputation over many years costs money.

Finally some sense.

Yes building a brand costs money. This is the price difference between unbranded and branded tyres.

Manufacturing tyres to go on cars is well understood, there is minimal research required to do it.

This year's pirellis are the same as last year's.

The extra money you are paying for them is to cover the cost of advertorials like that whatcar video, and signs at F1 races.

It simply isn't the case that unbranded tyres are dangerous. The majority of people around the country and probably the UK and continent get around fine on them.

I always think it's interesting that when this subject pops up it tends to be people who decry the standard of driving in Ireland as the worst in the world who get het up about how dangerous unbranded tyres are. If all the guff on this board were true there wouldn't be a driver left in control of a vehicle in Ireland they'd all be sitting crashed in ditches waiting for and Indy mechanic with a heart of gold to fix their car for half nothing and slap some proper tyres on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe "ditchfinders" has more to do with the driver than the tyres.
    If you're not doing an appropriate speed for the conditions, nothing will keep you on the road.

There are many different compounds and patterns in tyres as well as directional tyres... but no one cares about that, they call up and all they want to know is do you have that size and what price. Invariably, most end up going with the cheapest option............ can't blame hire car companies for doing the same, or would you rather pay even more for better tyres?

I admit, I'm part of a giant conspiracy suppressing the fact that a Great Wall Steed actually holds the record round the Nurburgring, on a set of standard Wanlis. In the wet.

screamer wrote: »
    Maybe "ditchfinders" has more to do with the driver than the tyres.
    If you're not doing an appropriate speed for the conditions, nothing will keep you on the road.

Couldn't have said it better.

I suspect a lot of the guff about 'ditch finder's' is in fact lads looking for something to blame other than their own lack of ability to read a road \ conditions and drive appropriately , coupled with an inflated sense of their own driving ability caused by driving fast a lot and not having been found out badly yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Finally some sense.

Yes building a brand costs money. This is the price difference between unbranded and branded tyres.

Manufacturing tyres to go on cars is well understood, there is minimal research required to do it.

The extra money you are paying for them is to cover the cost of advertorials like that whatcar video, and signs at F1 races.

It simply isn't the case that unbranded tyres are dangerous. The majority of people around the country and probably the UK and continent get around fine on them.

I always think it's interesting that when this subject pops up it tends to be people who decry the standard of driving in Ireland as the worst in the world who get het up about how dangerous unbranded tyres are. If all the guff on this board were true there wouldn't be a driver left in control of a vehicle in Ireland they'd all be sitting crashed in ditches waiting for and Indy mechanic with a heart of gold to fix their car for half nothing and slap some proper tyres on it.
    So my car not losing it in the wet since I got branded tyres to replace the ****e that a tyre place in Limerick put on and wouldn't take off (long story) is a placebo effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just remember the next time you fly. The maintenance was (mostly) done by a company with the lowest overall tender. Should we all be panicked?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So my car not losing it in the wet since I got branded tyres to replace the ****e that a tyre place in Limerick put on and wouldn't take off (long story) is a placebo effect?

In my opinion, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Finally some sense.

So what you are saying is that whatcar are a bunch of liers and they make stuff up to suit the company paying most for advertising, while the companies being lied about don't bother taking this up with the courts?

You know I am now going to unfollow this thread as some peoples stupidity knows no bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In my opinion, yes.

i see.

I'm out. this thread is ridiculous.

So what you are saying is that whatcar are a bunch of liers and they make stuff up to suit the company paying most for advertising, while the companies being lied about don't bother taking this up with the courts?

You know I am now going to unfollow this thread as some peoples stupidity knows no bounds.

*liars

Fair enough.

I'd have thought the courts would be blocked with every motorist in Ireland taking action against tyre manufacturers for selling a product that by your description would seem to be criminally negligent in its construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

In my opinion, yes.

As I said before, some people are just closed minded and can't be educated.
    I'm out too :D

*liars

Lyres ! :)

Neilw wrote: »
    As I said before, some people are just closed minded and can't be educated.
    I'm out too :D

I am 100% willing to change my opinion on this if someone can provide any evidence to support the 'ditchfinders' proposition, that isn't clearly advertising.

Stating your opinion over and over in the face of unbranded tyres CLEARLY being of reasonable enough design, construction, and safety to allow the overwhelming majority of Irish motorists safely get from a to b on a daily basis hardly constitutes 'educating'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I am 100% willing to change my opinion on this if someone can provide any evidence to support the 'ditchfinders' proposition, that isn't clearly advertising.

Stating your opinion over and over in the face of unbranded tyres CLEARLY being of reasonable enough design, construction, and safety to allow the overwhelming majority of Irish motorists safely get from a to b on a daily basis hardly constitutes 'educating'.

They are legal I'm sure.

That doesn't mean they are any good however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Couldn't have said it better.

I suspect a lot of the guff about 'ditch finder's' is in fact lads looking for something to blame other than their own lack of ability to read a road \ conditions and drive appropriately , coupled with an inflated sense of their own driving ability caused by driving fast a lot and not having been found out badly yet.

The first time my car slid I though I was pushing too hard. But when I got wheel spin from a standing start and sliding when trying to turn a corner in a residential area I knew I wasn't pushing hard and on the journey back from getting the tyres replaced there where no issues no matter how hard or easy I drove, the only thing I changed where the tyre and haven't slid since.

So yeah I'm a crap driver who can't read a road but for some reason I only ever had issues with my car not gripping the road correctly with one set of tyres, even though I've driven multiple cars the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Wow.... This is some mess.... And we haven't even hit the ditch or rear ended someone yet!

If people want to have cheap tyres, let em. They probably only tip about at a snails pace anyway and will never get into a situation anyway. Their choice. Leave them to it. Or will they? Hmmmm

I personally like using triangles..... As they last so long when lit up. Great for the slab on an old bollox of a yoke. Nothing compares to them :cool:

I drive a lot, averaging 900 miles per week. I see plenty of accidents all over the country, mostly on the M50 though. I'd be inclined to say dimwittery was at fault for most of those as I see c*nts not paying attention the whole time. The other day some gobsh*the nearly rear ended me because she was.... Doing makeup. Idiot :rolleyes: just one example of manh , many more....

What tyres do I use? Vredesteins. Does the job. Came with the car

People spinning out on roundabouts and big junctions I see all the time too. Whether they were going too fast/bad tyres/oil spillage we will never know. I'm not going to bother me arse getting out and probing them with a microscope to find out. Not my business

I will say though, I remember a situation where my tyres let me down and locked up under braking. They were doublerats tyres. The same car with hankooks never locked up and a similar situation put that to the test. No ABS, no driver assistance. Nothing.

Most cars have all sorts of electric bullsh*t to keep people safe. I think this may dampen the effect of a good tyre, thus a lot of people get away with much cheaper tyres with a hard compound. But that's just what I think/arse talk

To sum up, I hope I've made this as vague as possible :D but I'd be inclined to lean towards sheer dimwittedness on the roads as the main contribution to accidents, rather than plastic tyres (and yes, I have a set of Goodyear's made in China for good measure in case I came across as China tyre bashing)

People can buy what they want. Just don't crash into me over f*ckwittery or stupidity and we'll get on fine :)

Mr Pigeon out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Mr Pigeon out

Love that line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Here's a comparison between Continental and Triangle.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2011-09/why-pay-for-premium-tyres/

coolbeans wrote: »

All lies. Even if plenty of people's real world experiences tally with the obvious fiction. Marketing and price are the only differences between a conti/land rover and triangle/great wall steed.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus! You like another unnamed poster are either a troll or a complete idiot. You think there is no research into tyres? I have personally talked to Pirelli and Dunlop engineers. They are constantly working towards new tyre technology. But sure why am I wasting my time your clearly a fool who thinks a car tyre is just rubber that hasnt changed since the 40's.

I am done

http://www.pirelli.com/corporate/en/investors/strategy/r_d/default.html

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/_header/about_us/research_and_development/

Wake up sheeple!
    Rubber is rubber.
    Oil is oil.
    Dacia == Ferrari.
    House in knocka == house in Rochestown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

colm_mcm wrote: »
    i see.

I'm out. this thread is ridiculous.

I try to avoid arguing with fools. They just drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

coolbeans wrote: »

Well written and good comparison between tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

This is motoring forum where the majority are interested in their car. The constant trolling of the same few has become ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

I bought a set of Zetec alloys for a 05 Mondeo. Came with brand new Doublestar tyres. In the wet, on a roundabout at about 30mph the back end would kick out. Didnt happen on the BF Goodrichs i had on it before or the Uniroyals i replaced them with.

Same with a 03 Mondeo loaner i had with Kingstar tyres.

I bought a C Class which came with Nankangs on the front and Lassas on the back and had oversteer and understeer on wet roundabouts. Replaced with Uniroyals and never had the same issue again

Since then i've driven on Pirellis, BF Goodrich again and Continentals and never had the same loss of grip in the wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

All lies. Even if plenty of people's real world experiences tally with the obvious fiction. Marketing and price are the only differences between a conti/land rover and triangle/great wall steed.

So prove it, show us the reports that support your case

if you have a differing opinion you are a fool, troll, idiot. Speaks volumes about that person's intelligence if they have to resort to name calling. If you believe paying more money for a tyre is better, back it up with a valid point

Also it is very funny this new " I am done" business. No need for it really, when you dont post again, people will put 2+2 together ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

I would kindly ask for this thread to be closed now

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Your the motoring equivalent of an anti-vaxxer.

more abuse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

I'm no fan of spending big money for brand names, but independent test after test shows there is a big difference in tyres, their rubber, and the stopping distance they will provide you with. There's a load of independent comparison video's on you tube. An extra few meters of stopping distance, never mind grip, can be the difference between a wright off/injury and a near miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

I have two slightly used Kilkenny Remoulds, any use??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I bought a set of triangles before on my old car, they were OK to be honest. Then again I didnt push it hard on roundabouts or blast down wet twisty lanes with them either. These days I just go for the bridge stones mostly as I think the compound is softer and grips better.

more abuse :rolleyes:

What's wrong with anti vaxxers that isn't wrong with saying China engineered fly by night tyre brands are just as good as any other tyre?

What's wrong with anti vaxxers that isn't wrong with saying China engineered fly by night tyre brands are just as good as any other tyre?

Your the one who is running with anecdotal evidence and the opinion of self proclaimed experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cheap Chinese tyres caused this thread to veer into a ditch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement