Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is our fibre cabinet live

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi

Yet another question about fibre broadband roll-out for you.

I've been keeping an eye on the 'Where and When' map for the area around Ferns in Co. Wexford. FES1_E01 is the relevant one for us. It currently says 'expected to go live on the 2nd March', but this is now the 4th, so wondering is it indeed live yet or not?

Secondly, the blue lines on the map just about stretch as far as our house, so I'm hoping we'll be covered. What do I need to do to get in there for a check or (hopefully!) upgrade once the cabinet is live?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Duffryman,

Thanks for getting in touch, have you checked your number here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/?

Pamela 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi Pamela,

Yes, I thought of the obvious.  :)

When I check there, it says 'Good news! Coming to your area, January - March 16'.

My question here is because the information on the other site is more specific, although still outdated. It says the cabinet was expected to go live on March 2, but we're now on March 4 (and I'm guessing it may well be Monday March 7 before you actually see this reply, because of the time of Friday evening it is right now).

Can you please check with somebody if that cabinet is live or not? To me, it seems like a straightforward request.

Also, there remains the second part of my original query - what do I need to do to arrange to get our line checked (since we're right at the end of the blue coverage line on the map), and to hopefully get connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like you're confusing systems here Duffry.

FTTC Cabs, the "dots": 2014-2016 rollout, almost done. FES1_E01 is part of this but is actually an exchange.
    FTTH Routes, the "blue lines": New "Ultrafast service" that is totally independent of the existing network, starting soon but more of a 2017 onwards plan. National Broadband plan may end up extending it.

Unless you live within 1500m FES1 you cannot be upgraded now and will have to wait for FTTH works. This will vary a lot from area to area but most of the country will be waiting at least a year if not two to be serviced by that. 

Thanks for the reply. I may well be confusing things. I know very little about this other than I'd like faster broadband.

I'm just looking at that roll-out map, seeing a blue line go past my house, and seeing a notice that something in the village that I presumed would deliver the service along those blue lines was expected to go live a couple of days ago. 

Hopefully somebody from Eir will clarify on Monday.....

Please feel free to PM me your account details and I will check your line and hopefully offer you some clarification on this Duffryman.

The blue lines on this roll-out map would be the fibre to the home service which I'm afraid would not be available in your area as of yet. This would be where the efibre service would be brought directly to your home from the exchange instead of via the cabinet. 

Pamela 

• Advertisement

PM sent. Thanks for your help.

No problem  Duffryman :)

I have checked my PM's and I don't seem to have received one yesterday.

Pamela

Must have sent in wrongly! Please check again now. And thanks again for your help.

Thanks  Duffryman I'll be back to you soon.

Pamela

Hi again

I feel I've no choice but to bump this up as I'm still in the dark about this whole thing.

I'm close to Ferns in County Wexford and basically have two questions, which to me seem very simple:

1. According to the map on http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/, cabinet FES1_E01 in Ferns 'is expected to go live on 02-Mar-16'.  Allowing for the fact that it's now March 21, my first question is whether or not this cabinet has gone live as expected.

2. My second question is related to how our house is just at the end of one of the blue lines emanating from around that cabinet. Quite simply, do these blue lines signify the premises which will be able to get fibre broadband when the local cabinet goes live, or do they signify something else.

I'm not looking for an in-depth technical answer. Just a simple 'yes it's live' or 'no it's not live', and 'yes, it will service those lines' or 'no, those lines mean something else' will suffice.

Before anybody starts asking for personal details via PM, I've already supplied both phone number and eir account number twice. I was then asked for our 'line number'. I replied to say I don't know what it is, where to get it, and does phone & account number not give enough info to check this out anyway.

Either way, I feel my two main questions above can be answered without recourse to personal details anyway.

I hope for a satisfactory response soon.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi again

I feel I've no choice but to bump this up as I'm still in the dark about this whole thing.

I'm close to Ferns in County Wexford and basically have two questions, which to me seem very simple:

1. According to the map on http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/, cabinet FES1_E01 in Ferns 'is expected to go live on 02-Mar-16'.  Allowing for the fact that it's now March 21, my first question is whether or not this cabinet has gone live as expected.

2. My second question is related to how our house is just at the end of one of the blue lines emanating from around that cabinet. Quite simply, do these blue lines signify the premises which will be able to get fibre broadband when the local cabinet goes live, or do they signify something else.

I'm not looking for an in-depth technical answer. Just a simple 'yes it's live' or 'no it's not live', and 'yes, it will service those lines' or 'no, those lines mean something else' will suffice.

Before anybody starts asking for personal details via PM, I've already supplied both phone number and eir account number twice. I was then asked for our 'line number'. I replied to say I don't know what it is, where to get it, and does phone & account number not give enough info to check this out anyway.

Either way, I feel my two main questions above can be answered without recourse to personal details anyway.

I hope for a satisfactory response soon.

Thank you.
    Hi Duffryman, 

Apologies for the delays. 

I've looked into this for you and I'm afraid the service is not live in your area as of yet. Your exchange is still within the planning phase so may take some time before it's up and running. There is no leadtime on this unfortunately. 

The blue lines are indications of the eFibre to the home services, they are not associated with the cabinets.

Your line number is your phone number, the online tester requires this to test the line for the service.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi Duffryman, 

I've looked into this for you and I'm afraid the service is not live in your area as of yet. Your exchange is still within the planning phase so may take some time before it's up and running. There is no leadtime on this unfortunately. 

The blue lines are indications of the eFibre to the home services, they are not associated with the cabinets.

Your line number is your phone number, the online tester requires this to test the line for the service.

Thanks 

Tracey 

So the map is out of date also? Why publish dates that are incorrect?

glineli wrote: »
    Hi Duffryman, 

Thanks 

Tracey 

So the map is out of date also? Why publish dates that are incorrect?

The map is for illustrative purpose only so may not always be correct I'm afraid.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thank you Tracey, that's all I wanted to know. Nice to finally get a clear answer. :)

Like the other poster above though, I still wonder why the info on the map cannot be updated for the benefit of those it will make a difference to, even if I'm not one of them myself. To still say 'expected to go live on March 2' when it's now March 22 is obviously of no use to anybody.

It's also a pity that it's not clearer there that a cabinet going live doesn't automatically lead to the people along the blue lines being able to get fibre broadband. It would probably make your job easier too, if it did!

Anyway, thanks again for the help, and guess I'm back to knowing I have to make do with a top speed of 2.5Mb/s for the foreseeable future.

Message to anybody here who complains about 'only' getting 20 or 30 or 40 - you don't know how lucky you are!  ;)

Duffryman wrote: »
    Thank you Tracey, that's all I wanted to know. Nice to finally get a clear answer. :)

Like the other poster above though, I still wonder why the info on the map cannot be updated for the benefit of those it will make a difference to, even if I'm not one of them myself. To still say 'expected to go live on March 2' when it's now March 22 is obviously of no use to anybody.

It's also a pity that it's not clearer there that a cabinet going live doesn't automatically lead to the people along the blue lines being able to get fibre broadband. It would probably make your job easier too, if it did!

Anyway, thanks again for the help, and guess I'm back to knowing I have to make do with a top speed of 2.5Mb/s for the foreseeable future.

Message to anybody here who complains about 'only' getting 20 or 30 or 40 - you don't know how lucky you are!  ;)
    No problem at all Duffryman :)

I understand your frustration with these points. I'll pass this feedback on for you.

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement