Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of taking down load bearing wall & small build.

Options
  • 04-03-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a price of getting a load bearing concrete wall taken down from our kitchen to our playroom.

The wall is 3.88m wide.

We would push back and put up a studded wall in its place about 1.2m back.

The door that was into the kitchen would stay.

Also we would like to push out our kitchen and add on about 4 SM.

Any helps would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi all,

Looking for a price of getting a load bearing concrete wall taken down from our kitchen to our playroom.

The wall is 3.88m wide.

We would push back and put up a studded wall in its place about 1.2m back.

The door that was into the kitchen would stay.

Also we would like to push out our kitchen and add on about 4 SM.

Any helps would be great.

Do you mean a new build also of about 4 sqm or just push your kitchen into the area where you moved the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

mickdw wrote: »
    Do you mean a new build also of about 4 sqm or just push your kitchen into the area where you moved the wall?

Sorry it would be to push out the kitchen.

The kitchen is 6.3m long ( at the moment ), we would push out part of that wall so a section of the room would be 5m wide and not 3.88 like the rest of the room if you get me ?

So instead of being long and straight it would be a slight "L"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

15k give or take.

kceire wrote: »
    15k give or take.

Wow i find that very high, i got much bigger job priced less than 12 months ago and it was less than that.

Wow i find that very high, i got much bigger job priced less than 12 months ago and it was less than that.

Beer mat calculation with the info supplied.

demolition.
    temp works to support existing joists.
    steel beam inserted and the posts to bear the beam onto.

4 Sq. M extension in itself will be about 8k in itself based on a 2 Sq. M quote I tendered out last week.

Are you going to bury the beam in the existing joists?
    will the back wall require steel also?
    finishes and then making good the areas that were worked on.

May be a bit less, but without 3 proper quotes from people on the ground, all you will get is ball park prices here.

• Advertisement

Beer mat calculation with the info supplied.

demolition.
    temp works to support existing joists.
    steel beam inserted and the posts to bear the beam onto.

4 Sq. M extension in itself will be about 8k in itself based on a 2 Sq. M quote I tendered out last week.

Are you going to bury the beam in the existing joists?
    will the back wall require steel also?
    finishes and then making good the areas that were worked on.

May be a bit less, but without 3 proper quotes from people on the ground, all you will get is ball park prices here.

Ya bury beam in the existing joints to have a clean look.

The other wall will need steel.

Alot more cost associated with chopping into the ceiling to get the flush ceiling compared to just putting a beam underneath but no doubt it's the best solution

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Priced or constructed?

BryanF wrote: »
    Priced or constructed?

Priced, we changed our plans

requires steel with maybe a plate welded to the bottom to catch the joists.
    As I said, Its a ball park price based on the info you supplied, and I think I wouldn't be too far our again you tile, paint, roof etc etc

• Advertisement

requires steel with maybe a plate welded to the bottom to catch the joists.
    As I said, Its a ball park price based on the info you supplied, and I think I wouldn't be too far our again you tile, paint, roof etc etc

I have a family tiler, nephew is a painter etc so trying to cut costs where i can but still use skilled persons.

Thanks for your posts, at least i won't fall over when i'm giving prices.

I could price it out one by one and run it myself but i wouldn't think that is possible with my current personal work load.

Just be careful and go with recommended builder.
    I've seen way too many people go with the builder with the fancy company name, the polished brochures and the best line of bullsh1t only to leave seriously substandard works behind.

Just be careful and go with recommended builder.
    I've seen way too many people go with the builder with the fancy company name, the polished brochures and the best line of bullsh1t only to leave seriously substandard works behind.

Unfortunately this post speaks the truth. I've seen it here in Dublin a few times.

Unfortunately this post speaks the truth. I've seen it here in Dublin a few times.

Unfortunately, it's dublin I've seen it most. The real cowboys don't seem to take on one off house builds, it's all these small extensions where they can operate on very little credit with poor tradesmen and get away with it.

Unfortunately, it's dublin I've seen it most. The real cowboys don't seem to take on one off house builds, it's all these small extensions where they can operate on very little credit with poor tradesmen and get away with it.

This is it, no planning involved and no designer or supervision. The problem is when the home owner cops on that they should have had professional representation, it's almost too late to do anything!

Lucky i'm in a country area and know most of the builders personally and know their previous work !

Advertisement