Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we REALLY need a double buggy?!

Options
  • 04-03-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have a cosatto giggle for my daughter and I love it. I'm due #2 in October, there will be just under 2 years between the kiddies. Do I really need to get a double buggy? I plan to carry the baby in a sling, so could use the buggy we have for #1 for a few months longer. She's also really well-behaved (so far!) when walking beside us so she might be ok when the baby's in the buggy. Or do buggy boards actually work out ok? Don't know what to do!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Depends on how much you walk and if you would be comfortable having the baby in the sling at all times when you are out and about. There was only a year between mine and I got a double and a sling (and I already had the single). We do a lot of walking and my back isn't great so carrying the baby all of the time wasn't really an option but I find the sling/single buggy great for going in around the shops and quick trips around town where the double would be bulky. Even now that my eldest is 2 and mad for walking, he still isn't able for the long walks so I use our double everyday. If you really wanted to just go with the single buggy and the sling, you could check out which buggy boards are suitable for use with your buggy and whether they are any good. That way, you also have the option of putting the baby in the buggy and having the toddler walking with you and then standing on the buggy board when they get tired. Unfortunately, the buggy board for mine is awkward and not very practical, otherwise I would have gotten rid of my double already. I love it but by god it is bulky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our double converts to a single. Its been used daily for three years now. I never liked slings and if I hadn't had a double I'd have found it hard to get around. I'm not one for baby equipment but I wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I love slings and have 4 but no I needed a double buggy for my two: with 20 months between them. I couldn't have coped without it. Maybe a second hand one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

we have 22 months between our two and I bought a City Mini GT double from Babyjogger, thinking that we would not be able to survive without it...well it's been assembled and has been standing gathering dust for the past 3 months and the hubby is still teasing me about it!
    Turns out our son now wants to walk everywhere and just gets a lift on the front of the babys pram when he is tired. I keep telling myself we will need it for holidays etc. but am not even sure we're going on hols this year :o

I would say don't buy anything until after baby comes, then you will know if you need one or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We have a double (our single converts) and no.2 is due shortly.There'll be 20mths between them She wants to walk everywhere but still can only really manage about 20-30 mins of walking before she's knackered, so i need some sort of seat option for her.I think I'll be getting a buggy board soon enough but no way would I trust her yet with it, she'd be gone like a shot.Particularly in shops or on footpaths along roads...I can see it would be way too much to manage.
    We've borrowed a sling, but to be honest, no.1 hated the sling so I'm not putting all my faith in that either.
    FYI, Lascar buggy boards are 'universal' and a decent buy, if you want to investigate.Their site will tell you whether it's compatible with your buggy or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on the child, and where you take your buggy.

There are 3 years between ours, and i use a sling, so i stuck with a sling and a buggyboard for a while. After a month or two, i got a double(secondhand), because when we were out on longer walks the three year old wanted to sit down while the baby was napping in the buggy. I found the buggy board is no good over anything other than pavement, so did not suit our use. Tough going in the woods, sinks into the sand on a beach, around older residential areas like ours with lumpy footpaths it gets stuck. If you encounter a lot of kerbs when you walk with a buggy, the board really struggles with them.

About 6 months later, i sold the buggy again, for very close to the same money. I think 6 months use of the double buggy cost me 20 quid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes you do:)
    I have 24 months between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 and 15 months between my babies.
    I love slings and use mine a lot but I could not have survived with out my double buggy.
    If you want to go for a walk there is only so long a just gone 2 year old will stay on a buggy board or walk,if you are out and they are tired,if you are on holidays, if you want a break with them in tow.
    Mine need a clean atm and I cleaned it and put it out to dry and I find I am driving to places that I would have walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

There will be 21 months between our two when my baby is born and I'd been in two minds about needing a double buggy or not. In the end we've decided to go for one and I'm trying to buy a Phil and Teds Out and About Nipper on Adverts at the moment.
    I'm not one for slings and I don't like the idea of stacking the babies one in front of the other so settled on this side by side one.
    My friend who has twins has this one too and loves it. I know it won't go in our front door and that is the only issue I have with it. That said, I'm keeping the Quinny I had for our first child too and when I'm on my own with the new baby will use it and know that it suits my needs on that front perfectly.

Advertisement