Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged Front Connectors

Options
  • 04-03-2016 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody had this issue before.

I built a PC recently, which was causing some problems, CPU MOBO and Ram have been returned to the shop. I also have a minor issue with the case. It's fairly big and heavy so returning this is a little more difficult. When the case arrived one of the black plastic connectors for the LED PW was lose within the case. I tried to put the wire back on, but I can't figure out how it's secured. It doesn't look like it's crimped. Anyway, my efforts have failed and I am wondering if anybody has any ideas of how to get the wire to stay in the connector.

These are the connectors I am talking about.

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So the black piece has fallen off the two legs/pins of the cable for the power LED? They should have little flanges on them that once bent outwards and the pin inserted get caught in the plastic and "lock" it in situe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ED E wrote: »
    So the black piece has fallen off the two legs/pins of the cable for the power LED? They should have little flanges on them that once bent outwards and the pin inserted get caught in the plastic and "lock" it in situe.

I couldn't find any way to tighten the wire once I inserted it. It fell out again and the wire looked like it was missing a few threads. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and put them up. Could this cause a PC to freeze or restart? I might just leave this out as it's only the LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh its a lose wire, not a pin on the end of a wire? Then it needs to be slightly soldered so.

It shouldn't as the mobo is only expecting a small resistance there anyway for one LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF if those connectors are left unplugged the pc will still function normally .The pc internal speakers main function is to beep if something is wrong .
    and to be used to finding faults on the pc motherboard.

Most people plug in external speakers to the audio out port Or use headphones to listen to high quality audio from the pc.
    Using the front panel headphone socket .
    The power led and hdd led just tell you .
    if the pc is powered up,or the hardrive is being used .
    The reset sw cable is used to connect the front pc reset button ,
    used to reboot the pc if it crashes ,or freezes .
    pressing the power button should switch off the pc anyway.
    IF it crashes .
    Press the main power button to switch off the pc .
    When the pc is on you,ll hear the main power supply fan,
    or else just look at the monitor .
    And you ,ll see the windows desktop menu.
    Or the linux os menu .
    The pc power led is not essential to use the pc.
    IF you have not soldered wires or fixed cables before ,
    you,d be better off to leave those cables disconnected
    from the motherboard ,
    or give the pc to a tech expert to fix .
    Headphones or external audio speakers plugged into the audio out connector will work fine,
    if the speaker connector in the picture is left disconnected .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

degsie wrote: »

Thanks for that. I'll just need to get the little metal piece out of the plastic bit without causing further damage. I don't have a crimper or a solder, but I will sort something out. Cheers.

Advertisement