Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Sabbat Elections 2016

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Jester252 wrote: »
    Students are well aware who runs Charity week and Fresher week, however the average student doesn't care about the union and in term the union doesn't reach out as they should. The election turnout was always low in my time in UL. Given the lack of advertisement of the election this year by the union, I wouldn't be surprised if it is also low.

There is little hope for the referendum to pass at this rate. You'll need 66% of those that voted to agree. While C&S and Class reps will boost this number, the average student might not be willing to pay more money in already high fees to fund a building for a union that is viewed as a click.

The union has a lot on it plate to get the student willing to fund a new centre and seen as this has been voted down before, a massive task in front of them.

Also the bitterness of the union and C&S after the loss really confirmed to many student, on both sides, an us vs. them mentality.

Just to clarify, 50% + 1 vote is required, this was amended earlier this semester. As well as this the Union are now mandated to fulfil the Yes Campaign, something that wasn't true in past referenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Just to clarify, 50% + 1 vote is required, this was amended earlier this semester. As well as this the Union are now mandated to fulfil the Yes Campaign, something that wasn't true in past referenda.

The union and C&S ran a strong yes campaign the last time, and lost out to a non-existence no campaign. The referendum left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths.

While you might see all the cool new features, just look at it from a average student view.

"Pay for my new hangout spot"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Jester252 wrote: »
    The union and C&S ran a strong yes campaign the last time, and lost out to a non-existence no campaign. The referendum left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths.

While you might see all the cool new features, just look at it from a average student view.

"Pay for my new hangout spot"

From what I can see it's more "pay for something that's not even going to be finished and functional while you're in the college"

A lot of people in college just don't care about things that aren't going to immediately affect them. It's sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The referendum will easily pass. 60%+ were in favour each time before IIRC. All the SU have to do is stay quiet, ensure C&S (who have a vested interest in seeing it pass (and I'd include myself in that, since I put together ULFM's proposal for new facilities)) vote en masse, and they're away with it.

Anyone who even peeps their head above the parapet with negative stuff to say about the referendum is mauled by the wolfpack (see what I did there?).

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The referendum will easily pass. 60%+ were in favour each time before IIRC. All the SU have to do is stay quiet, ensure C&S (who have a vested interest in seeing it pass (and I'd include myself in that, since I put together ULFM's proposal for new facilities)) vote en masse, and they're away with it.

Anyone who even peeps their head above the parapet with negative stuff to say about the referendum is mauled by the wolfpack (see what I did there?).

God if the union tried to sneek it pass any hope to engage the average student is out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Final Shameless Plug

Our Hustings recordings (features a cameo from me, woo!) split up by position because it lasted for about six years.

Academic: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2016-hustings-academic-candidates/
    Welfare: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2016-hustings-welfare-candidates/
    President: https://www.mixcloud.com/ULFM/ulsu-elections-2016-hustings-president-candidates/

OPINION: I'd highly recommend the Presidential husts. I think it reveals a lot about the suitability of the candidates, or lack thereof.

Thankfully only two more days of this election grind for me... :P

Voted RON for president, our candidates were poor this year imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Going by the Wolfie snapchat, Caolon O'Donnell, Donal Foley and Sarah Dunphy have won their campaigns. Well done to all of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I wonder will John Cambridge run this time? :P

Showing your age?

any numbers? Nothing on the FB page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Showing your age?

*taps ear* What's that sonny? Can you speak up!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Advertisement