Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up Home Ec for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 04-03-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In first year, I did both Art and Home Ec and I loved them both but I had to choose between the two. I chose Art because I felt that I needed to improve on that more. I had an interest in pursuing a career in the fashion industry. Both subjects would have benefited me but I had to make a choice. Now, I'm in Transition Year and I have to make a decision. This time regarding my Leaving Cert subjects. For my Art Junior Cert, I did a project based on fashion icons in the world. Unfortunately, the Leaving Cert Art course doesn't appeal to me as much due to the fact you have to study the history of Art. Therefore, I am considering taking back up Home Ec for my Leaving Cert. I am really interested in food and fashion so I feel that I would prefer the subject to Art. I am a hardworking person who achieves consistently high grades but I am nervous that it would be a risk and bring me down since not having done it since First Year. Do you have any tips on what I could do so that I wouldn't be at a complete disadvantage if I take it on? If any of you has taken it up in fifth year how did you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

My friend took up home ec in fifth year and he varies between getting a's and b's. It's a really easy subject to get good grades in if you are a hard worker it's just basically learning off stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Laurak99

My friend took up home ec in fifth year and he varies between getting a's and b's. It's a really easy subject to get good grades in if you are a hard worker it's just basically learning off stuff

Yeah I spoke to the Home Ec teacher and she said the same thing. However, another teacher said that getting the A in the LC if I haven't done it is very difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Statistically between 8 and 9 per cent of candidates get an A in Home Ec.. This would put it on a par with something like Geography. Not as difficult to get an A in as, say, Art, but not as 'easy' as, say, Irish, History or Biology.

Obviously other factors are at play when looking at statistics.

spurious wrote: »
    Statistically between 8 and 9 per cent of candidates get an A in Home Ec.. This would put it on a par with something like Geography. Not as difficult to get an A in as, say, Art, but not as 'easy' as, say, Irish, History or Biology.

Obviously other factors are at play when looking at statistics.

Yeah I almost feel that maybe Home Ec would be the better option because I really don't like the history aspect of Art and since Home Ec is mainly learning maybe I'd have a better chance at getting an A or B.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Home ec is the easiest subject there is imo if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement

Ok so I still haven't made a decision. After school, I'm interested in going into a career in the areas of either food, business or fashion. 1. I have to do a language so French is my choice. 2. Accounting is the business subject I've chosen. 3. I chose Chemistry as a science subject if I ever want to do a course in let's say dietetics. 4. My choice is between Art and Home Ec. The general consensus from everyone I've spoken to is that I will be able for it. I also looked at a LC book and I would enjoy the course. It's just that it isn't a requirement for any college course.. So would it be a better choice to keep on Art so that I could create a portfolio and keep my option of doing a fashion course or degree open?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

As a teacher of home economics I would say definitely talk to your own home ec teacher before making a final decision. You say you have an interest in fashion - be aware that textiles, fashion and design is only an optional area at LC - from my experience most schools, including our own, stay away from this area. The practical element is also much less than what you would have experienced in 1st year - lots of students are disappointed that they aren't "cooking every week" - the reality is that you might only do enough practicals to cover the assignment work over the two years. On the other hand, this means that practical skill isn't directly examined as it is at junior cert, possibly a benefit for those who are more suited towards written forms of assessments. I know you said that you don't fancy the history of art component of LC art but again, before you make a decision, flick through that hone ec book again, while the material in most cases is very understandable some is extremely tedious (double theory in home ec - they exist at LC - will not always be edge of your seat stuff!) - finally if you do think of going down the fashion route, art college requirements must be thought about ie portfolio? However, lots of students who don't study art usually complete this as an extra outside of school

Advertisement