Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PhD] Pass with Major Corrections

• 04-03-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently did my Viva Voce for my PhD in History and was given a result that I'm not exactly about. I got pass with corrections that could take up to 4-5 months. The examiners stressed that their reports would be a 'to-do' list and were not suggestions for me to consider. One of the things they want me to do, apparently, is take out my chapter on methodology (weird!) and a few other things.

Regardless of the changes that I'll make (happy to keep going, I've gone this far!) I just don't know how to feel about it. Obviously it's a good thing I passed and it'll be great for my job... but I feel a bit deflated. I think the exam was incredibly intense. It went on for 2 hours and they asked me very odd questions (like in this sentence you say X, explain that more...) and then very nitty-gritty stylistic questions that didn't seem to have a place in what should have been a general viva.

I inquired and at least I don't have to pay fees but I'm a bit embarrassed or something.. I should have done better, I think. :(

Any thoughts on this?

Also, this is a silly thing but I'm the only non-PhD in my current work place. When do I use the title? After graduation??

Thanks
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Hi all,

I recently did my Viva Voce for my PhD in History and was given a result that I'm not exactly about. I got pass with corrections that could take up to 4-5 months. The examiners stressed that their reports would be a 'to-do' list and were not suggestions for me to consider. One of the things they want me to do, apparently, is take out my chapter on methodology (weird!) and a few other things.

Regardless of the changes that I'll make (happy to keep going, I've gone this far!) I just don't know how to feel about it. Obviously it's a good thing I passed and it'll be great for my job... but I feel a bit deflated. I think the exam was incredibly intense. It went on for 2 hours and they asked me very odd questions (like in this sentence you say X, explain that more...) and then very nitty-gritty stylistic questions that didn't seem to have a place in what should have been a general viva.

I inquired and at least I don't have to pay fees but I'm a bit embarrassed or something.. I should have done better, I think. :(

Any thoughts on this?

Also, this is a silly thing but I'm the only non-PhD in my current work place. When do I use the title? After graduation??

Thanks
    Ross

You passed, congratulations :) I can understand why you might be feeling a bit deflated, as it seems (or can feel like) most people pass with just minor corrections and so you wonder what you did 'wrong'. Have you spoken with your supervisor about the viva, and discussed what came up? S/he might be able to shed a little light on it.
    Asking you to remove a whole chapter does seem odd - do they want you to insert another chapter, or more material, elsewhere? I guess you'll just have to wait until the corrections come through, and see what they say.
    As regards the title, my understanding is that you can only officially use 'Dr' after you've actually graduated - so once you've had your conferring :)

Advertisement