Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bring a visitor to Limerick next Friday night? (11th March)

• 04-03-2016 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

I'm tasked with looking after a slightly unusual visitor next Friday and I'm trying hard to think of somewhere good to bring him after dinner next Friday night. Fúck all on in terms of gigs/shows that night, as far as I can see so far, so I'm turning to ye Limerick boardsies for inspiration.

I say "unusual", simply because the guy is in his early fifties, is a writer (and journalist), and comes from Haiti. Yes, where the earthquakes come from. About all else I know about him is that he's extremely well-travelled (speaks 8 languages! :eek:) and, apparently, a big soccer fan.

Are there any good live music sessions around town that I'm not finding in the various events guides? Do the traddies (sorry!) still congregate in the front bar of Dolan's of a Friday night? (personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, but this dude might find it interesting... if only he'd come this week instead; I could have brought him to see Lee "Scratch" Perry!)

Or any wild parties going on around Limerick FC's training grounds? ;)

Or any more sensible suggestions? I can't exactly see this guy enjoying bars or clubs full of shouty drunk people... (maybe I'm wrong) — but I don't really want to just drop him off back to his hotel for bedtime before 10, either. Maybe the White House? (might at least be full of shouty drunk writers/literati types)

TIA for any suggestions you can offer... but nothing about voodoo lounge sessions or zombie nights, please? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Kormac is playing in Dolans next Fri the 11th, it's a visual as well as a dj show....might be worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Kormac is playing in Dolans next Fri the 11th, it's a visual as well as a dj show....might be worth a look?

+ 1 for Kormacs big band. Brilliant live, incredible brass section. There will be a great atmosphere. And you can always catch the trad at the front if you like.
    Food isn't bad there either, don't know if the still do the pre gig special, that's good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is it his first visit to Ireland? If so, would you think about going to the banquet in bunratty? It's a really good night out, and while it is a bit touristy there are a lot of locals at it too. It will be a unique experience. I'm sure he could go to gig anytime in Haiti.

Would also suggest going to The curraghower for drinks or dinner for the views of King John's castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers, I'll check that out... keep 'em coming! :)

Dinner is already booked at the French Table on Steamboat Quay, so Dolans has an obvious practical advantage, but the Curraghgower is near his hotel and would be good for pre-dinner drinks, definitely. Bunratty might be a bit too cheesy, but I'll run it by him in case it floats his boat...

Also — I remember once seeing a link to a walking route around town that took in all those big murals that went up a couple of years ago (I know they're not all still there) — can anyone point me in the right direction? If the weather is any way decent I'd like to walk him around the older parts of the city during the afternoon (...maybe finishing up in the Curraghgower via KJC/The Hunt Museum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ma Ryans or karaoke in The Geraldine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Given that he's a writer / journalist I'd bring him to the White House.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Ma Ryans or karaoke in The Geraldine
    2925719-9165489024-396

The White House is looking good for after dinner, unless he particularly wants some diddly-aye from Dolans... but he was in Galway for the last two nights, so he might have had his fill of fiddles.

Cheers, all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

peckerhead wrote: »
    2925719-9165489024-396

The White House is looking good for after dinner, unless he particularly wants some diddly-aye from Dolans... but he was in Galway for the last two nights, so he might have had his fill of fiddles.

Cheers, all. :)

The White House put on really ****e live music at weekends. Get there a bit early maybe, before the leery crowd come in.

Ah, that's a bit harsh now... :D

We went there in the end anyway for a pint after dinner and he seemed to like it. Nice and quiet, for a Friday night, and he got to see a man dancing with his wife — now there's something you don't see every day. ;)

Advertisement