Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 memory disappearing

• 05-03-2016 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

For the last while I've been getting warnings on my iPhone 6 16gb that I'm running out of memory it started last week quite bad. So in the last week I've deleted 0.7gb of apps and 500 photos and I'm still down to 0mb memory. I mean an hour ago I deleted 300mb of stuff and I'm now sitting at zero it has been dropping for the past hour but I haven't been downloading or adding anything. The phone has a lot less on it now than it did a week ago and still no memory which makes no sense. It's running current version of iOS 9. Basically the memory is disappearing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I've tried so many different things and I'm still back to square one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Have you deleted the photos in the deleted folder? (Which is where they go when you originally delete them for 30 days before they auto delete)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Crow92 wrote: »
    Have you deleted the photos in the deleted folder? (Which is where they go when you originally delete them for 30 days before they auto delete)

Thanks for the reply yep I deleted them from there. When I delete stuff I am actually gaining the free space but within a day it's gone again despite not downloading anything new. Basically no matter what I delete I still ultimately end up with no memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Settings > general > storage should tell you what's taking up the most space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Backup and restore the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I have a 5c for work, it has 15 apps, about 30 phone numbers and 20 photos and it's constantly telling me it has zero space available, I can't even take a photo as the camera won't allow it!

• Advertisement

I can tell what's using memory up in the settings. But the issue is I'm after deleting a whole lot of stuff off my phone and still have no memory.

It's a known software glitch I was just wondering had anyone solved it. It's not a simple case that if I delete some stuff I'll have memory. The memory is just being used up regardless. So if I delete another 1 gb of stuff I'll still have no memory after 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

If you have Facebook and/or Twitter installed delete them and reinstall them. There's a known issue with both were they cache photos etc and will use any available space to determine how much. If you click on it in storage you'll see how much memory it's using together with the size of the app which will only be a fraction of what's being used. When I had a 16gb phone I used to have to delete and reinstall both every few weeks.

If you have Facebook and/or Twitter installed delete them and reinstall them. There's a known issue with both were they cache photos etc and will use any available space to determine how much. If you click on it in storage you'll see how much memory it's using together with the size of the app which will only be a fraction of what's being used. When I had a 16gb phone I used to have to delete and reinstall both every few weeks.

I deleted Facebook and messenger apps I don't have Twitter I reinstalled them 2.8gb free space :) . So that has solved my problem thanks a million :) thanks for all the replies nice to get it sorted as it was very annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

CIP4 wrote: »
    I deleted Facebook and messenger apps I don't have Twitter I reinstalled them 2.8gb free space :) . So that has solved my problem thanks a million :) thanks for all the replies nice to get it sorted as it was very annoying.

Yeah it's a pain. I do the same thing with Facebook and Twitter every month.

Don't forget photos that are sent and received in text messages and in whatsapp take up space too. You can delete the photos without having to delete text conversations though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

CIP4 wrote: »
    For the last while I've been getting warnings on my iPhone 6 16gb that I'm running out of memory it started last week quite bad. So in the last week I've deleted 0.7gb of apps and 500 photos and I'm still down to 0mb memory. I mean an hour ago I deleted 300mb of stuff and I'm now sitting at zero it has been dropping for the past hour but I haven't been downloading or adding anything. The phone has a lot less on it now than it did a week ago and still no memory which makes no sense. It's running current version of iOS 9. Basically the memory is disappearing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I've tried so many different things and I'm still back to square one.

Did you have WhatsApp installed? There was an issue this week with their app causing a lot of storage to be taken up as "Ghost storage". This was fixed in an update shortly after it was noticed though.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Did you have WhatsApp installed? There was an issue this week with their app causing a lot of storage to be taken up as "Ghost storage". This was fixed in an update shortly after it was noticed though.

It's seems to have been Facebook that took up most of the memory as when I reloaded it I was up lots of memory and the problem gone. What's app was updated 2 days ago so it should be sorted too if it was contributing to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Google maps is another worth deleting and reinstalling mine was taking up over 1gb of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

iOS really needs a clear cache for apps within the storage settings. It's annoying having to delete the whole app and re download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

jay93 wrote: »
    iOS really needs a clear cache for apps within the storage settings. It's annoying having to delete the whole app and re download.

There's no reason the apps can't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

There's no reason the apps can't do that.

They really should be able to or at least have the option some apps do have the option but major ones like Facebook don't which uses well over 600MB of space on my phone sometimes it will clean itself but it's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Update: Was experiencing similar issues, deleted some photos because ironically wasn't enough space to download the Whatsapp fix.

Zero to 6.34 GB free instantly.

Advertisement