Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-human hands found in rock art

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

Intriguing. The human figures seem to almost surround the gecko handprints, as in a kind of ritual...But the possibility exists that these little hands were painted at a later time. Why were they depicted at all? This is a mystery; but I suspect that the artists, observing the nearly human form of these hands, were filled with a kind of religious awe, perhaps feeling the presence of a being at the same time animal, human and divine (physical-metaphysical), which needed to be worshiped and represented reverently on walls of stone.

Such a lovely work of art, as well as a marvellous mystic experience from the dawn of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Or aliens :B

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

Aliens? As far as I know, extraterrestrials haven't been associated with Wadi Sura. But there ARE depictions of strange "astronaut"- like figures elsewhere in the Libyan desert and in the Maghreb.

As for "aliens" in the sense of "foreigners", wait till you see the astonishing White Lady: portrayed upon stone in the midst of the North African desert, surrounded by artistic renderings of tropical animals and wee figures that wear Phoenician-type caps, this Lady dating back to the Neolithic is dressed in heavy Alpine clothing and boots! An intrusion in the Libyan desert, to be sure, an immigrant...Hope to send a link about her in a day or so.

I mistakenly described the little hands found at Wadi Sura as "gecko" hands. Sorry: they apparently belong to a monitor lizard, not a gecko.

Advertisement