Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for cheaper car insurance!

Options
  • 05-03-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm 29 and need a car to get me to and from work. I let my old license expire a few years ago and now have to resit the theory test.

Here's the problem, i'm getting quoted 3-4 grand for insurance!.. That's just not affordable...

Anyone know where i could get a cheaper quote?
    I live in Co, Wexford if that helps

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If you could pass the driving test as soon as possible you will halve that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you could pass the driving test as soon as possible you will halve that quote.

Was hoping to get on the road as soon as possible because got a new job and its a good drive there and back. Would take a couple months having to do the 12 lessons and wait for a date for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nobody on here will be able to tell you who might give you a cheaper quote.

A male (I'm assuming you're male, sorry if that's incorrect!) learner driver is always going to be killed with insurance quotes.

What car are you trying to insure?

Sit down and devote a couple of hours to ringing every company you can think of, and a few brokers - that's the only way you'll find the cheapest quote for YOU.

(It's the only way anyone will find the cheapest quote for them - it's a pain, but that's the way it is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Within that time, would you be driving unaccompanied? Quite apart from the risk posed to yourself and other road users, if you had a claim within that time or if you got points for driving unaccompanied, you would be looking at another hike in costs.
    Boxymo is one that is often mentioned in this part of Boards, it seems to be a good bit cheaper but it also tracks your driving, which many people find intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Can you become a named driver on someone's policy and just pay them (I think it would be cheaper) and then in the meantime work on getting the test asap?

Are u female? Its4women seem to do the cheapest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nobody on here will be able to tell you who might give you a cheaper quote.

A male (I'm assuming you're male, sorry if that's incorrect!) learner driver is always going to be killed with insurance quotes.

What car are you trying to insure?

Sit down and devote a couple of hours to ringing every company you can think of, and a few brokers - that's the only way you'll find the cheapest quote for YOU.

(It's the only way anyone will find the cheapest quote for them - it's a pain, but that's the way it is.)

Yep i'm male. Trying to insure a 1.1 206
    Gone through all the online quotes i could find. But i shall give a few brokers a call, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

didn't think they could differentiate between male and female drivers when pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The ITS4WOMEN websote layout seems similar to Boxymo..

Im a 20yo male and put in my details and it couldnt give me a quote but gave me the quote Boxymo would give instead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

I Concur wrote: »
    Yep i'm male. Trying to insure a 1.1 206
    Gone through all the online quotes i could find. But i shall give a few brokers a call, cheers
    Hi I Concur, Nicola here from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

We offer car insurance and at the moment you can get up to 25% off your car insurance quote. You can get more information here.

We've a section on our website through that link that compares both our Popular and Prestige car insurance cover.

You can also check the features and benefits available under Third party fire and theft and Comprehensive cover, this can help you to select a policy that is right for you.

If you’ve any questions feel free to drop by our Talk to Forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lion7778

Interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement