Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidly left door unlocked now potentially getting evicted

Options
  • 05-03-2016 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a new place where the door doesn't shut/lock automatically behind you when you get home and you come into the apartment. Most places I've lived you just shove the door out behind you when you come in and it's grand, but in this place you have to really make sure it has clicked and locked or else it stays open.

Three times since I moved in I have accidentally not shut/locked the door properly. This is pure stupidity and absent mindedness on my part - I know I'm in the wrong here just explaining what happened.

Anyway, the two girls I live with are understandably upset and have made a massive fuss to the landlord, who is calling over soon.

I might be getting evicted. Is there anything I can do? I've apologised profusely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I recently moved into a new place where the door doesn't shut/lock automatically behind you when you get home and you come into the apartment. Most places I've lived you just shove the door out behind you when you come in and it's grand, but in this place you have to really make sure it has clicked and locked or else it stays open.

Three times since I moved in I have accidentally not shut/locked the door properly. This is pure stupidity and absent mindedness on my part - I know I'm in the wrong here just explaining what happened.

Anyway, the two girls I live with are understandably upset and have made a massive fuss to the landlord, who is calling over soon.

I might be getting evicted. Is there anything I can do? I've apologised profusely.

Suggest a chub lock! Safer in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Do you really want to continue living with these two whingers?,find a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You probably won't get evicted for that, although you might get a stern telling-off. Set yourself reminders on your phone, perhaps. If you finish work at 5PM say, and it takes you half an hour to get home, set a reminder for 5.30 saying LOCK THE DOOR! on it. Make it a habit to check on the door in the evening to ensure that it's been locked for the night. Soon enough it'll be enough of a second nature to you that you won't leave it ajar again. And if you start doing it now, you can at least explain to the landlord "Sorry, it is my fault for being absent-minded, but I've got a reminder set so I won't do it anymore." and look as apologetic and meepish as possible.

Edit: I'm the absent-minded sort myself, but I also have the worry gene, so I quite often go to bed and then get up a couple of times before I actually settle to ensure the door's locked, the water's off, the oven's off, the cat isn't on the stove, etcetera...

I don't even have a cat, but irrational fears are a thing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

The_Chap wrote: »
    Suggest a chub lock! Safer in the long run

I'm pretty sure it is a Chubb lock, it's just a really heavy one so it catches on the door instead of closing.

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Do you really want to continue living with these two whingers?,find a new place.

The place is convenient to work and below market rates in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Hardly whingers, it's their personal safety. Sure why have a door at all if it's not closed properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

All you can do is say you're sorry. I'd probably buy some scones or muffins too and leave them on the table with a little apology card. But bear in mind you really are in last chance saloon, don't do it again!

discus wrote: »
    Hardly whingers, it's their personal safety. Sure why have a door at all if it's not closed properly?

Yeah I see their point completely, although given that anyone wanting to get in would have to get through the metal gates and then the locked door downstairs, I do think they are exaggerating the danger a bit.

As I said though I'm the one in the wrong and I just don't want to get evicted.

All you can do is say you're sorry. I'd probably buy some scones or muffins too and leave them on the table with a little apology card. But bear in mind you really are in last chance saloon, don't do it again!

I'm hoping this is the case, was planning to buy them some chocolates and a bottle of wine or something.

I'm hoping this is the case, was planning to buy them some chocolates and a bottle of wine or something.

You said your sorry,what more do they want? If they are calling the landlord in I reckon they want you gone.You do not need to buy them a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I'm pretty sure it is a Chubb lock, it's just a really heavy one so it catches on the door instead of closing.

Ok, a self closer fitted to the door would fix it then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Tell the landlord to adjust the door properly so the lock catches instead of catching on the door frame.
    Landlord is as much to blame as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When the Landlord arrives just say "Oh great !! You're here to fix the door then ?!"

Ken

Is this a wind up? Leaving door open once is bad enough, but to continually do so is totally careless/thoughtless/inconsiderate. Just cop yourself on and make sure the door closes behind you.

Is this a wind up? Leaving door open once is bad enough, but to continually do so is totally careless/thoughtless/inconsiderate. Just cop yourself on and make sure the door closes behind you.

Housemate one has arrived.

You're right.

It's not something I have done on purpose but I know it can't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Maybe print out an A4 page with the words

LOCK
    THE
    DOOR

in large capitals and stick it on the inside of the door to remind you until you get into the habit.

Explain things to the L.L. about your previous door locking systems and it should be fine.
    If after doing that the girls are still going off on one, then maybe its best to consider getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I had housemates that did this and it used to drive me spare. The difference was our door was on the street so anyone passing by could walk in if they wanted.

You've done it three times now, that should be enough for you to check the door is closed properly every time you come in or go out. It's not rocket science.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I had housemates that did this and it used to drive me spare. The difference was our door was on the street so anyone passing by could walk in if they wanted.

You've done it three times now, that should be enough for you to check the door is closed properly every time you come in or go out. It's not rocket science.

Yup. I know they must think I'm actually retarded. When I walked in the door yesterday I saw that I needed to move a suitcase that was left there so I went and did it, and it just totally slipped my mind to check the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

K.Flyer wrote: »

LOCK
    THE
    DOOR

in large capitals and stick it on the inside of the door to remind you until you get into the habit.

This is a good idea. I used to live with a girl who had the same problem. We warned her after it had happened 3 or 4 times. She said it wouldn't happen again but kept doing it and we had to kick her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The house mates are understandably upset if an apt door is been left open it will be noticed. Someone will get robbed or worse attacked. Some say here her house mates are whingers. .. I say live your door open for a few days see how you feel in your bed

This is a good idea. I used to live with a girl who had the same problem. We warned her after it had happened 3 or 4 times. She said it wouldn't happen again but kept doing it and we had to kick her out.

Out of interest, how many times did it happen before you kicked her out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

K.Flyer wrote: »

LOCK
    THE
    DOOR

Add your reply here.

Safety is the number one priorty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Tell the landlord to fix it then. Doors shouldn't be difficult to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Yeah I see their point completely, although given that anyone wanting to get in would have to get through the metal gates and then the locked door downstairs, I do think they are exaggerating the danger a bit.

As I said though I'm the one in the wrong and I just don't want to get evicted.

So you're not really sorry, then, if you think they are exaggerating.

Once is acceptable. Three times? Sorry, that's just disrespectful

So you're not really sorry, then, if you think they are exaggerating.

Once is acceptable. Three times? Sorry, that's just disrespectful

I do feel bad for doing it- I think I've made that clear through the thread.

It's not something I do on purpose obviously.

Not evicted- got a stern but fair talking to. I'll just have to be way more careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Housemate one has arrived.

Please explain where the problem is. The OP is leaving them open to risk of break in. It's happened not once, but three times. How are the housemates any way at fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As the OP has confirmed that they got a talking to but not evicted, this thread can be closed.

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement