Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU World Series 2016

Options
  • 05-03-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

So may triathletes on the forum but little interest in the top end of the sport?

Who got the season pass? Super value for €20 IMO. I have to pay 5 times that to follow my NFL team.

Any bold predictions for Rio? Podium M/W and how will the Irish fair?

Abu Dhabi today. The men just done. 17th for Bryan Keane which was a good result. Lots of athletes gunning for Rio spots.

Women on in about an hour. Interesting battle between Helen Jenkins and Jodie Stimpson for the 3rd Rio spot. I assume Vicki Holland and Non Stanford are already in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Who got the season pass? Super value for €20 IMO. I have to pay 5 times that to follow my NFL team.

Didn't get the season pass yet as so far it's free on the BBC! Great men's race this morning with Mola building a lead before serving his penalty and pulling away again. Different class to the other runners today.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

bought and enjoyed the first race. Great pull by Mola, class run as expected... Unfortunately, that mass fall at the end of cycle probably ruined a bit finishing run but lets hope I'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah that crash blew it wide open although you would have expected the brits to be up there. Other highlights. Ashleigh Gentle. Swoon. The bike camera focusing on Tomlins em 'running form' for all of 10 secs :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I resented paying €20 for it this year as I always get it with the code. :) With the time difference I always miss half the races so always resent that :P I don't have the discipline to not look up the results and watch a recording.
    What a race by Mola - loved how he came out of the penalty box, caught the lads...ran with them for a minute then thought ''screw this" and moves off :D

Missed the ladies race.

So yokohama last night. It's an Olympic year. No threads. No discussion. I've tried. Tumbleweed as Kurt put it...

Later peeps

• Advertisement

So yokohama last night. It's an Olympic year. No threads. No discussion. I've tried. Tumbleweed as Kurt put it...

Later peeps

Was just thinking that last night. Haven't watched Yokohama yet though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Delighted to see Keane qualify for Rio, seems to have been plugging away for a long time now and was unlucky with injury to miss out on a shot at London.

That said I didn't and won't watch this mornings race. Being an armchair fan is far too time consuming, I've always been more interested in taking part than watching the pros in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

BTH wrote: »
    Delighted to see Keane qualify for Rio, seems to have been plugging away for a long time now and was unlucky with injury to miss out on a shot at London.

That said I didn't and won't watch this mornings race. Being an armchair fan is far too time consuming, I've always been more interested in taking part than watching the pros in any sport.

Congrats to Keane, I've the series link setup to watch the televised races but they area it delayed so watch them a few days after the events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The Olympics ruin the WTS - not a sign of Gomez yet, Jenkins has disappeared into the long grass since qualifying, everyone peaking at different times depending on their qualifying event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Has Aileen Reid been injured ? 48th at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Has Aileen Reid been injured ? 48th at the weekend.

She's been ill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

catweazle wrote: »
    The Olympics ruin the WTS - not a sign of Gomez yet, Jenkins has disappeared into the long grass since qualifying, everyone peaking at different times depending on their qualifying event

I think what is more suprsing that not more people that are not likely to medal at oly games dont seem to go for a top Wts placing
    only really flora duffy seems to give it real shot and i guess has a good chance to make the wts podium. I guess she is the most agressive racer in the females and its a joy to watch depsite the fact that she has no chance of a medal in rio my mind ( but defo top 5- 8 potential ) but i guess if somebody would deserve a medal it would be her.
    mola I think does the right thing too as there almost only 2 options for him Gold or not even top 5 in rio the brownlees vargas blumefeld gomez kanute etc will push that swim and bike and while i think gomes is the stongest runner i dodnt think he will be in contention of the bike ( at the same time he has improved his swim and has an outside chance to be in a decent postion and the best way to improve his swim chances is to race frequently)

I also think bryan keane can be very proud to qualify, i mean even almost 2 years after his accident he was still not quite right . and he did not give up. Respect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Who are your tips to win Peter?

I'd like to see Mola do well but like yourself I think the top lads will drive the swim and bike to keep away from him. Some of Mola's chances could depend on Richard Murray too, if he's back fully fit he might be able to help the chase pack catch or at least pull close to the front group. Few of the interviews I've seen they have said the hill in Rio isn't as bad as it was made out to be, mentioned it being a little too short to really split the group. Lot of the top lads from last season seem to be sitting out the early season races, Vincent Luis showed towards the end of last season that he is getting better at the Olympic distance too so might be another contender than the Brownlees and Gomez.

Hard to look past Jorgenson in the women's. Her swim is more than likely good enough to get her into the front group and will probably hang on in that group until the run. Stanford and Spirig both need good swims to get out in that top group and not let the front group get too far away. Would like to see Duffy do well, she likes to go for it on the bike and her run seems to have taken a bit of a jump this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'd like to see Duffy do well in the women's after our very own of course.

Men's I can't make my mind up about the Brownlees don't seem there's elves in the last few races I've seen but maybe aiming to peak at Rio. Mola could be a good shout. Again hoping Keane has a good showing.

In an ideal scenario Duffy makes an eyeballs out break and Spirig and bolts after her, also breaking. There will be breaks to try and shake GJ but Spirig is not going to drag the lot of them with her and the brits will have the gas to cover everything. Its going to be cat n mouse stuff.

I too would love to see Duffy get a just reward for racing as she has done. Hard to see her hanging on though.

Gold Gwen Jorgenson
    Silver Non Stanford
    Bronze Helen Jenkins

On the Mens the form is all Spanish even without Gomez around. I'm not sure the Brownlees will have it their way but they are so aggressive on the bike its hard to discount them. If Murray could just hit the front pack early. As mentioned earlier. Vincent Louis is a contender too.

Surely Mola can make up a few seconds on the swim between now and then. I think there will be enough gas in a chase group to pull him into T2 with a shot though he may still have some ground to make up on the run.

I actually think a breakaway bike will play into Gomez's hands

Gold Javier Gomez
    Silver Johnny Brownlee
    Bronze Mario Mola

Mens race will be very interesting -

Mens
    - I expect Brownlees friend Varga will take off like a rocket, and the two Brownlees and Gomez will try and hang on and then try and put more time into Mola on the bike. I think he will have to much to do to get into medal contention

Podium: No clue on position but I think the two Brownlees and Gomez will fill them

Womens - I think Jorgenson has a better chance than Mola at taking the gold home. She will be in or near the front pack coming out of the water. Jenkins has the best chance of denying her if she can get a break on the bike like she did a few weeks ago. Jenkins really needs Routier to take it out full bore in the swim, she is the best swimmer of the top contenders. Gwen has the added safety net of Spirig on the bike who if she misses the front pack might drag her back in to contention

Podium: Gwen, Jenkins, Stanford

8 years ago everybody would have thought the gold medal would be fought out between snowshill and fernades , and i think nobody in their right frame of mind would have made an prediciton who wins. than around this time of the year fernadez had a bad race in galicia and never really recovered. a coupble of weeks before the olys i bet 40 euro on snoshill...but I would certainly not have done it 4 month before the race .
    so what iam saying is a lot can happen and historcally often the gold winner was not the real favorite , frodeno , alan , EPO brigit,whitefield etc etc .

Am calling it here first. Jorgensen like so many other times will not make the front group on the bike.. Will be Just like London (her chasing). The second group wont be able to do the work on the bike just like London and Im predicting this again will be a group of 10-12..with Spirig and Duffy driving on the front. ...Jenkins...groffy , Stanford and Holland will be in that group on the bike along with 4 or 5 others. I believe Stanford will win gold, Jenkins silver...with a sprint finish for bronze. My sleeper is Andrea Hewitt. I expect a huge race from her after the 12 mths she has had.

Would Gwen's swim not be as good or better than Stanfords though? Stanford is usually a bit like Mola, trying to catch front group on the bike and then run through. Forgot about Hewitt, showing some good form too and always seems to be around a podium position when she races.

joey100 wrote: »
    Would Gwen's swim not be as good or better than Stanfords though? Stanford is usually a bit like Mola, trying to catch front group on the bike and then run through. Forgot about Hewitt, showing some good form too and always seems to be around a podium position when she races.

You may be right there ... I thought she was a front pack biker. ... I'm thinking the pressure on Jorge sen will be immense and I really think she will crack. I believe all the medals will come from the front bike pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

Jorgensen just has to stay on the bike to win gold. Her swim has improved massively from 4 years ago.

The brownlees (and friends...Varga) will absolutely hammer the swim to drop Mola as he is a massive threat. Murray was the threat in London and his race was over after 750m then. I'll expect similar tactics.

I'll go

Ali Brownlee
    Gomez
    Some outsider

Australia have announced their teams for the Olympics. Bailie, Fisher and Aaron Royle for the mens and Moffat, Densham and Gentle for the Women's. Two good teams and alot of good athletes missed out. Have to feel sorry for Birthwhistle, had a good showing at Yokohama and won a French Grand Prix at the weekend beating J Brownlee and Gomez (I know it's not a race that counts towards qualifying but does show signs of good form). Can't have been an easy job for Selectors, a lot who missed out could have got onto most other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There always seems to be controversy/questions around the Australia selection process.

What's the story in the UK. When is the Benson/Bishop decision being made? For some reason I thought Benson had secured his Olympic spot by winning in Baku last year. Did something change there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Other highlights. Ashleigh Gentle. Swoon.

be watching the olympics this year so Mike?rooting for australia? :)

uk was top 3 in rio and grand final ( benson gained a spot at europeans for uk but that dosnt mean he got it ) .

i guess if you win a medal at oly games you get a bonus for the next, but 33,34 and 35 th place in the last 3 wts races and one 6th place in a sprint Wts...

...when the other athlete has a 5 th and 6 over oly distance in wts this year. I am sure thats going legal as so many times in oz . ( but it has been more than a year since i read the oz quali criteria so i dont rember what they had but i think they had top 8 results.)
    but to be fair densham was in a similar situation 4 years ago. and that she is a top runner when fit is a fact.
    tough descisons.

American women's team confirmed. Jorgenson, True and Zaferes. Them and the UK would have the strongest team going. Some athletes early enough in their career didn't make the American team but if Cook and tomlin keep working hard we might see more american clean sweeps.

joey100 wrote: »
    American women's team confirmed. Jorgenson, True and Zaferes. Them and the UK would have the strongest team going. Some athletes early enough in their career didn't make the American team but if Cook and tomlin keep working hard we might see more american clean sweeps.

They took their time with Zaferes - bet they were trying to coax Sarah McClarty out of retirement to guide Gwen on to the run :D - unless True and Zeferes form improves, I find it hard to see them beating any of the three brits.

Its impossible to make the case for Lucy Hall again but a real high end swimmer and biker would do Jenkins no harm either

I think the first 2 women's slots on the British squad where taken by athelets who met the criteria. Non Stanford and Vicky Holland both met the criteria so I'm not sure the selectors would have the freedom to pick a domestique for Jenkins.

catweazle wrote: »
    They took their time with Zaferes - bet they were trying to coax Sarah McClarty out of retirement to guide Gwen on to the run :D
    that would not be possilbe as you have to be top 140 in oly ranking.
    intersingly they had haskins in the top 140 last year but she did not race this and is also not top 140.
    I am all for domestiques if you dont have another ahtlete in the top 20 in the world as third person ,at the end federations get money for medals. but if you have a top 8 athlete in the world ( or in the case of uk males 2 athletes in top 12 in 2012 i think . using a domestique is a bit of a shame.as the best athletes in the world should race.

• Advertisement

Yeah they qualified last year which I think is crazy but I suppose the athletes like the certainty and can peak solely for the big day. They might be regretting that yet unless Holland shows a big improvement on her last outing

Gomez cant even win the WTS now as he wont have the quota of races completed :eek:

Advertisement