Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU World Series 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

English teams announced yesterday. Stanford, Jenkins and Holland for the women, Two Brownlees and Gordon Benson for the men. Two strong teams. Last few ITU races have nearly been an audition for the men to take the support role with them pushing the bike legs.

Sutton has come out and said too that the american team should have used a domestique for Jorgenson and that by not doing that they are giving the gold medal to the UK. Hard to know, didn't look like they had anyone good enough to take on the role and each of the 3 they have taken would have a podium chance. Jorgenson has been nearly unbeatable the last 2 years and hasn't used one, even though she has raced Jenkins very little in that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

think sutton may be playing same games as alex ferguson used play. distract attention from his own by getting everyone focused on the others. pretty sure he'd love to have his "champ" spirig win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

joey100 wrote: »
    English teams announced yesterday. Stanford, Jenkins and Holland for the women, Two Brownlees and Gordon Benson for the men. Two strong teams. Last few ITU races have nearly been an audition for the men to take the support role with them pushing the bike legs.

Sutton has come out and said too that the american team should have used a domestique for Jorgenson and that by not doing that they are giving the gold medal to the UK. Hard to know, didn't look like they had anyone good enough to take on the role and each of the 3 they have taken would have a podium chance. Jorgenson has been nearly unbeatable the last 2 years and hasn't used one, even though she has raced Jenkins very little in that time.

gordon benson is the best choice ,at 22 already european champ at senior level and the future for uk. Still the best thing they did was getting vargas to leeds who is kind of the best domestique in the world.

Did Benson win Baku last year too? Think that was originally on the qualification list for the UK but they changed it. Didn't realise he was only 22 as well, anything I've seen of him (not a lot) he looks older.

I can not undertand why not more Itu athletes do 70.3 races as prep for rio ( given the course in rio which is quite a bit strenght based ) espcially if you are likley to push on the bike in rio ( either you want to break away or might be off the lead pack after the swim )

anyway spirig run what looks like a legimate sub 1.15 of the bike in a 70.3 today and i bleive it was windy...
    2nd fastes run split and there was a few ex males olypians in the field

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just watched end of ladies race from today - what a run from Gwen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Looks like the men were practicing on how to beat Mola in Rio

Really enjoyed that - a minute or two into the bike leg and you just knew if Gomez didn't close the 4 or 5 metres and get on the back of the Brownlees it was race over.

Women's race was good too - Gwen wouldn't have won if Hall had done her share on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

fantastic one, wait for the brother and then push for your life, fun stuff :) While I do think there isn't that big of a difference between The big trio and the rest of the field as it was 4 years ago, I still think Brownlees and Gomez are the ones to lose a medal before Mola (primarily) and others can get their hands on one, especially with these three dedicating the whole year to just one (Gomez) or two (Brownlees) races. I really do like Mola, but I just feel he won't be as prepared + don't see him getting close enough to run his way up to TOP 3... Either way, going to be a really interesting one!

Have only seen bits of the race but what I seen it looked good. Did I hear somewhere that Alistair Brownlee helped design the course?? Definitely looked like a course that suited him, get your super domestique (Varga) to hammer the swim and then push the bike and cause a few splits.

Few lads missing though that could have had an impact on results, someone like Murray/Luis could have really helped the second group and Gomez catch that front group. All making it very interesting for Rio.

Feel sorry for Duffy, had a good lead off the bike, was running well and still got caught by Jorgenson. If it wasn't for one of the best females ever in ITU she could be a big star (not that she's not, just everyone is in Jorgenson's shadow). Hopefully she might get a world series championship out of this season though with Gwen concentrating on Rio.

Another thread bumped.

Good result for Duffy in Stockholm, another great bike, not the same lead off it but held onto it this time to win. Still no Vincent Luis on the mens side, doesn't look like he will race an ITU race before the Olympics. No Gomez or Mola either.

This weekend could be good to see some of the newer athletes in the relays in Hamburg. Always a good race to watch and should be some of the younger athletes taking part from the looks of it.

And Germany announced their team, from 5 places they earned it looks like they are only sending Annie Haugh. I know some countries will only send Athlete who have a chance of medals but would it be worth sending someone for experience or even as a helper for Haugh?

• Advertisement

watched the womens race, really seemed like duffy pulled back on the second half of the bike in order to hit the run hard. well executed race from her, she's in decent form

Just watched it last night on the turbo and I'd agree, seemed like she definitely pulled it back. Won by nearly the same amount as the lead she had off the bike so definitely worked for her.

Commentators made some good points too about who will be in the lead and chase pack in Rio. Spirig they reckon will be chase and maybe Duffy too, could see them pull a lot more athletes, Stanford, up to the front group on the bike. Then it becomes about do they sit in or keep it going? Setting up to be a great race.

i think its right they dont send a male team the federation wanted but the sport council rejected it .
    why the sport council rejected the females is interesting. One anne haug as a week swimmer could do with domestiques , b there is quite a lot young talent they should have sent.

Fact is the geramns have not performed this year ,the males for a few years now and the females after a very promising 2015 went backwards 2016.

Another thread bumped.

Good result for Duffy in Stockholm, another great bike, not the same lead off it but held onto it this time to win. Still no Vincent Luis on the mens side, doesn't look like he will race an ITU race before the Olympics. No Gomez or Mola either.

This weekend could be good to see some of the newer athletes in the relays in Hamburg. Always a good race to watch and should be some of the younger athletes taking part from the looks of it.

And Germany announced their team, from 5 places they earned it looks like they are only sending Annie Haugh. I know some countries will only send Athlete who have a chance of medals but would it be worth sending someone for experience or even as a helper for Haugh?

Any young german males coming up Peter?

Does anyone know if them slots will be offered to other countries or are they now gone from the race completely?

you'd have to wonder why you wouldn't look at your young pool, see if any have a shot in 4 years time, and send them for the experience. managing the workload up to rio would be the key, but with the right coaching and expectation management should be managable. in 4 years time then they are challengers and going to the olympics holds less pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Just watched it last night on the turbo and I'd agree, seemed like she definitely pulled it back. Won by nearly the same amount as the lead she had off the bike so definitely worked for her.

Commentators made some good points too about who will be in the lead and chase pack in Rio. Spirig they reckon will be chase and maybe Duffy too, could see them pull a lot more athletes, Stanford, up to the front group on the bike. Then it becomes about do they sit in or keep it going? Setting up to be a great race.

cant see duffy in the chase pack, she is a top swimmer and has been in the first few out of the water in all the races i have seen her in. i dont think she can cycle away from a very motivated pack all on her own in the olympics though

I agree with that, will be shocked if she isn't in the front pack out of the water, she came out in Leeds with two of the best swimmers in ITU Hall and Learmonth when they were driving it, she will have nothing to fear in Rio in the swim

Think she even said it in BBC interview recently that she wished she had Jenkins and Hewitt with her in the break that day in Leeds, think her chances will rest on who comes out with her on the swim

Gomez has said on twitter he is out of Rio, came off his bike today and done damage to his elbow. Can't link to twitter on work computer.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/juegos-olimpicos/20160714/403201080272/gomez-noya-se-pierde-los-juegos.html

Spanish site, using google translate

Gomez has said on twitter he is out of Rio, came off his bike today and done damage to his elbow. Can't link to twitter on work computer.

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/juegos-olimpicos/20160714/403201080272/gomez-noya-se-pierde-los-juegos.html

Spanish site, using google translate

Ah thats a pity as Gomez would have added an extra dimension to that race - you can nearly call that race now - Varga will drive the swim, the Brownlees will drive the front bike pack and have a comfortable lead on Mola going out on the run, the brothers will run away from the rest and then Alistair will break Jonny around the 8-9k mark - Mola will run through to 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah thats a pity as Gomez would have added an extra dimension to that race - you can nearly call that race now - Varga will drive the swim, the Brownlees will drive the front bike pack and have a comfortable lead on Mola going out on the run, the brothers will run away from the rest and then Alistair will break Jonny around the 8-9k mark - Mola will run through to 3rd

If Mola can be dragged around in the swim and remain in the front bike pack then it's his to lose? Have Spain got a domestique he can use?

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    If Mola can be dragged around in the swim and remain in the front bike pack then it's his to lose? Have Spain got a domestique he can use?

Ya good point with Gomez gone they might stick a swimmer in along with Alarza. Can Contador swim, he may need someone like him to get him back up on the bike. I still cant see Mola sticking with the front pack in the water over Olympic distance, presume Brazil will be non wetsuit as well which reduces his chances further

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

This is sad :( While I would be cheering for Brownlees this just isn't the way. I really feel sorry for the guy and can imagine it's one of the worst moments in his life since he himself put so much into preparing for this single race and highlighting how important it is. Although Mola is running beast I think 1-2 is Brownlees to lose at this point...

When it comes to women, I love Duffy and also don't see her having issues getting out of the swim in front pack. On the other hand, I don't see her on top either way, she worked significantly more during the season then others and this time all others will be there and willing to risk it all. While Jorgensen is huge favorite in my mind I wouldn't go ahead and say it's a done deal, but others will have to get lucky (for her not getting enough support on bike) and work together to get a real distance prior to run part...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

catweazle wrote: »
    the Brownlees will drive the front bike pack and have a comfortable lead on Mola going out on the run, the brothers will run away from the rest and then Alistair will break Jonny around the 8-9k mark - Mola will run through to 3rd

This is exactly what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just watched Stockholm and in delighted for Duffy that's been a long time coming, a fantastic biker

Advertisement