Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Hate the megathreads definitely feel have to check them in case I've missed something.
    This isn't the case on single threads.

One bargain per thread and then archive into a mega thread if feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think there are too many megathreads and they and slowing the forum down.

They always lead to chat and go off topic and the decent bargains don't get the attention they deserve. Most people don't want to trawl through pages and pages to find offers which should be in their own thread (as was seen in the recent poll)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98851511

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

One thread per bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm logging into boards for a quick check. Click into bargain alerts, scan the first couple of pages for anything new. This is what it should be.

Right now I then have to go back and click into each of the mega threads even though I don't know if the latest posts are even bargains I'm interested in or even if it's a bargain at all

this x1000 ... pretty much what I said from the start.

If you must enforce grouping then I suggest creating sub-forums for Tesco / Argos etc., at least then we get one thread per bargain and all Argos bargains grouped together, but at least we can see from a glance what the deals are, and don't see any of the chit-chat.

Everybody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I'm not a fan of the megathreads with the only ones I check regularly being the supermarket ones. If it's a real bargain then it deserves it's own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The good thing about superthreads is user can post bargains that may not be huge bargains worthy of their own thread.
    The bad thing is the good bargains get lost. Maybe if people thik a bargain is good enough they make their own thread but it's hard to know what random people will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Far too much of what's being posted in those Megathreads aren't bona fide bargains by any measure.

They're simply items available for purchase in Argos or Amazon & that seems completey at odds with the whole point of the forum. Add to that the fact that a great many regulars don't have the time or the inclination to peruse those threads & we've clearly got an issue that needs fixing.

Let's have a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Davy wrote: »
    The 'Megathreads' are used for the likes of Argos, Tesco etc that have many different items on sale/ bargains and rather than posting a new thread for every single item those threads can be used.

The reason they were created in the fist place was from user feedback giving out about having 10 Argos threads on the first page for small little bargains.

The mega-threads do not have to be used by rule, if you think a bargain needs a thread of its own that is perfectly acceptable to post a new thread as it might have many questions about the item or that the saving is very large.

This way its a best of both. Getting rid of the chat and repeated questions in the threads totally, may help the megathreads like the Argos no chat thread.

Agreed

I like the mega threads that have bargains only and chat only, like Argos. Crazy when threads are bumped because someone has typed "ok" into the bargain alert. For the major ones ALDI lidl TESCO ARGOS etc etc etc there should be a bargains only and a chat only thread and posters encouraged to use the report post function if these rules are broken.

Just my twopence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

If posters were not deliberately sabotaging the mega threads with complete bull$hit posts and chatting about how terrible it is that they find themselves in a thread ,that they chose to click on in the fist place ,and the mods added a " report spam " link on posts in the Bargains forum ,then a lot of the problems that ppl are complaining about here would not be a problem anymore.

If you don't like it ,stay out of it.

I have found many a bargain in the mega threads in the past... because I have the patience to spend a minute or 2 to flick through each thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

After a little more thinking about it, it really does come down to clicks for me. We all know (its even been a hot topic in relation to boards menu layout) that more clicks is bad. Whats worse here is that you are clicking into a thread not even knowing if the bargain is relevant to you.

Before megathreads you clicked onto the forum and clicked through each page one by one scanning to see if there was a bargain to interest you. This is the best method, less clicks = better. You clicked into threads only if you were interested in the bargain.

With megathreads you still have to do all of the above but you also have to go and click into each of the megathreads without even knowing what the bargain might be. I don't want another tesco screwdriver set but I'd love some sheets for example. I can't tell what I'm going in to look at from the thread title. If I was scrolling the forum I'd ignore the screwdriver bargain but I'd go in after the sheets. Because of the megathread I can't ignore the screwdriver because it could potentially be a sheet.

Actually I've no idea if I'm making any sense. I may be more tired than I thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think we can do with chats, often a bargain in the posters eye can be bettered or weaknesses drawn to fellow forum users attention.
    I don't mind mega threads, if a retailer is that popular then so be it.
    If the bargains stop then the thread will work its way down the forum naturally through lack of recent posts...
    IMHO

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

One problem I foresee with getting rid of superthreads is that it will have an impact on the smaller bargains.

How many of the bargains (quoted below) warrant their own thread?
    Personally I wouldn't post them on their own but they do have a place in a superthread.

If we change to "one bargain, one thread" these type of bargains will be less likely to be posted. You'll see "not a bargain" replies to some of them or people like me wont post them in the first place. But they are still bargains to some of us.

I don't really mind either way the outcome of this discussion tbh, as long as the forum rules are clearly defined so we can continue to post bargains without too much hassle :D

(please forgive the amount of quotes :) )

athtrasna wrote: »
    All the 21 wash Tesco super concentrated laundry detergents are now €1.65. The non bio normally is but the others are usually at least twice that price.
    Chocolate orange is only €1.25 in Tramore...yumm.
    Jumbo packs (500g) of McVities Dark and Milk Chocolate Digestives - €2

(Birr)
    ablelocks wrote: »
    crescent sc, limerick

Sodastream Play - €30
    and accessories (flavours, bottles, gas canisters) half price

I'm in 2 minds about this over the cost and potential hassle of getting replacement gas canisters.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Goodalls Whole Cloves 30g reduced from €2.89 to 75c
    Not that good a bargain imo as the Tesco version is always €1.09
    ♪ Cos Goodalls put the oooh in good foods
    crescent sc, limerick
    assorted Cars and Cars Ice cars - 3.14 and less
    tekstra mini puppy - 13 something, but the mini cat is priced at 5 something. they were "41.99"
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Got these ladies pjs in Cabra. Marked 11.50 but scanned at 5.74.

Tried two other designs afterwards but both scanned at 11.50
    Toxica wrote: »
    Grey cotton adults tights and mens thermal socks half price in mallow store, €2.50 and €3.75. Loads of tights left but I think only 1 pack of socks left.
    Nanazolie wrote: »
    Clare Hall

Loads of very random reduced to clear offers in the cleaning aisles. Ecover and Calgon dishwasher tablets, Kleenex tissues, some toilet rolls, some laundry liquids, air refreshers, stain removers, etc. Most are at least half price
    Singing Anna dolls under 10 euro and loads of frozen stuff on sale in Tesco tramore/ballybeg.
    Black and decker sander 5 something in ballybeg.
    CH3OH wrote: »
    As mentioned above : Frozen Elsa singing doll €8.10
    Frozen Anna Singing doll €9.95

Dozen Callaway lake balls€7.74
    Dozen Titleist lake balls €6.81

Unicorn Champion Dartboard €5.50

Lots of empty shelf space were there were other items reduced in tennis , golf and darts accessories

There seems to be a store plan change ongoing at the moment, so there are lots of random clearance / reductions
    mitre goalie gloves, shin guards half price in coonagh cross, limerick

zoggs adult swim googles reduced to 4.something
    Rolsen staple gun 45cents tramore
    Nenagh :

Gillette Movember special edition 3 pack pro fusion - 5.49
    Bostik serious glue - 4.14
    rolston leather punch - 3.70
    sand paper 1.86
    grout reviver - 2.39
    nike park guard shinpads - 5.55
    mitre shinpads - 4.90
    mitre gloves - 3.14
    no more nails pouch - 2.14
    gaim iphone 5s running case - 4.39
    darts wallet - 2.43

none in stock, but Kindle Paperwhite 2013 edition is reduced to 70 euro

none in stock, but Ipad 2 is marked at 199 in Crescent SC, Limerick
    muincav wrote: »
    Rolson Keyless combination lock/bolt 1.69 was 12.60 -Tesco Monaghan
    http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/Rolson_Keyless_Combinaton_Bolt_405669.html
    clairek6 wrote: »
    Also toilet brushes <€2 in ballinasloe
    Edit: had included picture of small magnifying mirrors for 80 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    One problem I foresee with getting rid of superthreads is that it will have an impact on the smaller bargains.

How many of the bargains (quoted below) warrant their own thread?
    Personally I wouldn't post them on their own but they do have a place in a superthread.

If we change to "one bargain, one thread" these type of bargains will be less likely to be posted. You'll see "not a bargain" replies to some of them or people like me wont post them in the first place. But they are still bargains to some of us.

I don't really mind either way the outcome of this discussion tbh, as long as the forum rules are clearly defined so we can continue to post bargains without too much hassle :D

(please forgive the amount of quotes :) )

Jayzus though, one's man's bargain is another man's total waste of time. No offence but saving a few cent on a Chocolate Orange is of no interest to me.

How about one thread for "bargains" which are worth a saving of €10.00 or less? That way all of those low value bargains get stuck into the one thread which would obviously be updated on a regular basis.

Other bargains (cheap flights, tellies, subscriptions etc) could have their own bargains as before.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Jayzus though, one's man's bargain is another man's total waste of time. No offence but saving a few cent on a Chocolate Orange is of no interest to me.

That's kind of my point.

I don't really want to see a thread for a chocolate orange or a toilet brush but there should be a home for them somewhere. Most of those small bargains are like amazon's add on items for when you do your weekly shop. :pac:

I think the mods have an impossible job to keep everyone happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why not have both?
    Mega threads for general bargains. Mega bargain gets its own thread.
    Megathreads too be no chat and no tolerance.

Why not have both?
    Mega threads for general bargains. Mega bargain gets its own thread.
    Megathreads too be no chat and no tolerance.

That would be my preferred option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    That would be my preferred option.

Problem with that is who decides what's a mega bargain? Back to my sheets again, I would consider the 16e to 50c that happened on tesco sheets a mega bargain but that might not be a mega bargain to you!

Again I think sub-forums are the answer to everyone's concerns here.

The root problem is chat on the threads. You can't stop it. Irish like to chat, people want to know if a bargain is good or not, and people will post about other bargains that might be better.

If you want to know all the minor supermarket deals for Supervalu like a deal on Chocolate orange then it should go in it's own thread in the Supervalu sub-forum.

I even would subscribe to these forums... the key is that I will know the deal from the title... I won't have to scroll through the 20 comments to find out that the deal was Chocolate orange.

Problem with that is who decides what's a mega bargain?

The person who finds the bargain should decide where they post it.

If its posted in the megathread, it could always be moved to its own thread if more discussion is needed.
    There will be always be a difference of opinion about what is a good bargain though.

Back to my sheets again, I would consider the 16e to 50c that happened on tesco sheets a mega bargain but that might not be a mega bargain to you!

Nah, I'd agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Problem with that is who decides what's a mega bargain? Back to my sheets again, I would consider the 16e to 50c that happened on tesco sheets a mega bargain but that might not be a mega bargain to you!

Anything less than a fiver discount goes into a mega thread as that wouldn't make it worth while going to the store to pick up the bargain only, the bargain is there to get you to buy other full price items. Over a fiver discount and it'd be worth while for most people to go to the store to purely buy the item.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Again I think sub-forums are the answer to everyone's concerns here.

The root problem is chat on the threads. You can't stop it. Irish like to chat, people want to know if a bargain is good or not, and people will post about other bargains that might be better.

If you want to know all the minor supermarket deals for Supervalu like a deal on Chocolate orange then it should go in it's own thread in the Supervalu sub-forum.

I even would subscribe to these forums... the key is that I will know the deal from the title... I won't have to scroll through the 20 comments to find out that the deal was Chocolate orange.

Seriously ...you are one of the people that is constant thread spoiling in the mega threads, filling the threads with spam that you then complain about having to filter through.

The people that use the mega threads only have a problem with the spoilers like you ,not the threads.

Your posts Just from the Amazon thread, I'm sure you've been in other threads as well spoiling ,but I'm not arsed looking.

" The same 25% that voted to keep superthreads are the same 25% that use them

I'm looking at you "jonerkinsella"

" Look through the conversations in this thread and the same people post bargains here again and again...

75% of Bargain-Alerters miss out on some lovely deals "

" That doesn't explain the need for superthreads.

You save money either way, but lose time having to click into each superthread then scrolling back through the conversations to find out whatever the last deal was.

Yes I can see how that's better then just clicking into "Bargain Alerts" spending 5 seconds scanning the latest deals; seeing if any interest me; if not close browser and back to work.

Anyway I'm not posting any more on this I was just making a point that a large majority of users disagreed with these threads in a recent poll, which was then closed by the mods and we haven't heard anything since on the matter. "

" Wasn't there a plan to be rid of these superthreads?? "

I wasn't going to post any more on it but then a lot more piled in to support bringing back the poll, so I was pulled back into the debate :)

I wasn't picking on you I was using you as an example. Your name just appeared several times when I spent 10 seconds looking through the thread. I could have picked any of the 10 or so regulars on that thread.

Back to the debate, people need to be able to comment on deals, to ask about details etc or compare against other deals for the same product, so the chat element of a bargain thread is an essential component.

Mixing these up in one thread makes it a slow process to find the posts where the deal is mentioned.

I wasn't going to post any more on it but then a lot more piled in to support bringing back the poll, so I was pulled back into the debate :)

I wasn't picking on you I was using you as an example. Your name just appeared several times when I spent 10 seconds looking through the thread. I could have picked any of the 10 or so regulars on that thread.

Back to the debate, people need to be able to comment on deals, to ask about details etc or compare against other deals for the same product, so the chat element of a bargain thread is an essential component.

Mixing these up in one thread makes it a slow process to find the posts where the deal is mentioned.

Wow. You want it every way.

In the post above that I quoted you in ,where are there any questions or chat about any deals that are posted in the Amazon thread. You just posted in there to rant. The last 3-4 pages of the Amazon thread in particular has been ruined by threadspoilers like you that are adding nothing to bargain hunters information ,and yet you complain about having to trawl through the pages of crap that are posted on the Bargain Alerts page.

I am completely stunned that the mods are allowing this kind of threadspoiling go ahead and not deal out punishments and stop the bull**** comments that have no relevance to the bargain threads and the whiners that just wanna whine .

If you or anyone else can't be arsed to look at a thread ,then great. But keep your opinions out of the thread and post them in places like this.

...and ironically you are thread-spoiling this one with nonsense unrelated to the discussion. Do you have any suggested solutions or are you just here to whine?

...and ironically you are thread-spoiling this one with nonsense unrelated to the discussion. Do you have any suggested solutions or are you just here to whine?

Here you go again. The title of this thread is " Superthreads on Bargain Alerts " . It is a discussion on the topic.

My points are that there is no issue with mega threads . The only problem is people like you that come into them to spoil them ,nothing else ,just spoil them...that IS relevant to the discussion on here . I think that the mega threads should be cleaned up of all the nonsense spam that has infested them and a few warnings handed out for deliberate sabotage of the threads by you and others .

You want your toast buttered on both sides.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, knock it off with the personal digs or I'll be forced to remove your access to this forum. Thank you.

Zaph wrote: »
    OK folks, knock it off with the personal digs or I'll be forced to remove your access to this forum. Thank you.

What personal digs ?

I have laid out nothing more than information that HAS been posted on Boards as my evidence of thread spoiling and still nothing has been done about it by the mods .

What is the issue with these people that insist on thread spoiling without recourse from moderation on this forum.

?

Riddle me this...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I went to vote in the poll but the thread was locked. Is there a different poll somewhere now?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What personal digs ?

I have laid out nothing more than information that HAS been posted on Boards as my evidence of thread spoiling and still nothing has been done about it by the mods .

What is the issue with these people that insist on thread spoiling without recourse from moderation on this forum.

?

Riddle me this...

You're here long enough to know that questioning mod instructions on-thread is not permitted. If you have a query in future take it to PM. And in the meantime if you have an issue with the moderation of a particular forum then take it to the Help Desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My contribution is that I hate super threads and hope they all die

Advertisement