Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

kendragon wrote: »
    I went to vote in the poll but the thread was locked. Is there a different poll somewhere now?

Same as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

It looks like this thread has nearly run its course at this stage. Ok, Having reviewed the thread there is no real agreement between posters.

I appreciate that it was linked to from the BA thread though I think it might have gotten a little more comment/discussion if the thread was just opened there but again it relates to feedback.

There now seems to be an appetite to open a poll on the matter which I think makes most sense if mods are ok with that. The problem is what options to put into the poll. I'm pretty sure that if we open a poll like the 1 that I opened previously with 2 options then it would be likely that people would vote against superthereads. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565487)

If more options are added then the result might not be so clear. I'm not recommending the following as poll options but this seems to be all the expressed options from this discussion thread:

I like superthreads.
    I dislike superthreads.
    Superthreads for Supermarkets Only.
    Superthreads for Bargains less than €10.
    Sub-Forums for what is currently a Superthread.
    Superthreads for minor bargains BUT Major bargains (related to a superthread retailer) should get own thread.

If it goes to a poll then I think it would be worth the effort to get the poll right. Maybe just a poll 1st to ask if we keep superthreads or not and if the vast majority want to get rid of them then we open a 2nd poll to see what to replace them with? (Too complicated??)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Leave them as they are. I much prefer super threads for the likes of Tesco, Argos and Amazon. I think that if the availability of the offer is almost nationwide eg an offer in Dunnes then it should go in the super thread. I like that there is some chat on an offer so that I can decide whether I want it or not. Having this in another thread doesn't work for me. However there should be no off topic chat such as " Do Tesco still take competitors vouchers".

As mentioned already if a super thread interests you subscribe, then when there is a new post go to the last page and read back to your last read post. This is much easier than having to scroll through pages of Tesco bargains which might mean missing that cheap flights deal on page 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Whatever way the Tesco and Argos mega threads go please please please don't take the chat out of the Aldi Super Six thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

garbeth wrote: »
    Leave them as they are.

To be honest, I've given up. :pac:

Leave them as they are and continue letting bargains in those threads go unnoticed by 75% of users.

As long as people that use superthreads know that whatever they post there will not be seen by the majority, and they are happy with that, let them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

go to the last page and read back to your last read post.
    people keep saying that... why not go to first new post firstnew.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I actually feel there should be a primary poll then a second one.

The first in relation to a sub forum for expired bargains that can continue to chat in relation to the bargain. This could actually sort the clutter substantially without any further action as it would substantially limit the trawling you have to do on the first few pages immediately.

Then once that has been opened and is up and running

1. Leave everything as it is
    2. One supermarket thread for grocery offers with all others independent
    3. Multiple individual supermarket threads with all others independent
    4. All super threads to remain as is for any bargain with a saving less than 10e. All other offers independent threads
    5. All super threads to be seperated into chat threads and bargain threads. All else to be independent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

people keep saying that... why not go to first new post firstnew.gif

Oops, that's what I meant, I call it the the 'last read' button!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I think we should retain the Mega threads for the likes of Lidl, Aldi ,Tesco etc where generally the posts are just informing of special offers that are a good bargain. I don't think many of the items I've posted there would warrant a separate thread.
    Unfortunately the mega threads tend to get cluttered up with off topic chat and tend to get bumped up the top of page 1 when someone posts an off topic question or comment .

There was an attempt to keep the Tesco on topic as listed in the first post of the old thread:
    "So from here on in, unless your post is:
    1) A bargain (e.g saw X was €5 in Athlone)
    2) Update on the stock/price/location of a bargain (e.g. X was scanning at €10 in Galway, no X in Nenagh, still in Athlone behind the counter)
    3) An alternative place to buy (e.g X is only €4 in Argos)
    Then no posting, 1 week ban if your post does not meet above criteria. (PM me if you think there is a valid post type I have missed please)"

Maybe this should be enforced again? or a separate chat forum?

Ultimately its down to posters whether they decide to post within an existing thread or create a new thread
    If those who want separate threads posted more bargains as new threads, then this will become the norm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Start locking the zombie/expired threads and hand out slaps on the wrist for off topic chattering and BA as a forum would be much better off, regardless of what anyone's opinion of Superthreads is.

"This was a bargain 4 years ago and we're still discussing it" is nonsense. Whatever was bought will be discussable in whatever forum the item is used for (technology, food, fitness whatever)

• Advertisement

Start locking the zombie/expired threads

Nah, the same bargains often keep coming up, I don't see the harm in re-using old threads as you can see the comments about the particular product by looking back.

Perfect example here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173350&page=7

I clicked back to page 1 to see what people thought of the machine.

(incidentally this is impossible - or at least exceedingly time-consuming - with superthreads, especially if separated out into Alert/Chat pairs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

mrcheez wrote: »
    Nah, the same bargains often keep coming up, I don't see the harm in re-using old threads as you can see the comments about the particular product by looking back.

Perfect example here:

(incidentally this is impossible - or at least exceedingly time-consuming - with superthreads, especially if separated out into Alert/Chat pairs)

This is why I think we should have a sub forum for expired deals. New deal comes up? New thread in the main forum and the link to the expired thread for other info/chat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Perfect example here:

But the point of the BA forum is to alert people to bargains. Not to host product reviews. For something like that coffee machine, chances are people already know whether they want it, and the web will already be lousy with hundreds of reviews.

But the point of the BA forum is to alert people to bargains. Not to host product reviews. For something like that coffee machine, chances are people already know whether they want it, and the web will already be lousy with hundreds of reviews.

I never heard of the machine, and the last link posted today didn't include the link, they just said it was on sale again.

The posting today *was* a Bargain Alert, as it was an alert about the price dropping again (if it had been a post about how they love the machine, then yeah that would be pointless)

I clicked to page 1 and got the link plus a whole host of useful information about people's experiences with the machine and the type of coffee to use for it. I'd rather get reviews from fellow boardsies than having to go into google search and type "Reviews for <insert name>" then scan through several different sites.

Everything I needed to know about the bargain was contained in the single thread, nice and simple (one of the main things that attracted me to Bargain Alerts on boards.ie in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

A new superthread each week?

Let's just keep it simple: one thread per bargain.

Who cares if there are 20 argos bargains on page 1, they will quickly fade as less comments on the less interesting ones will push them to page 3.

This. Sums the whole thing up perfectly. Its too easy to miss something in the megathreads - even if chat is stopped, there'll still be someone who breaks the rules. Megathreads work great for updated vouchers, that's about it.

even if chat is stopped, there'll still be someone who breaks the rules.

I agree. Because of the innate organic nature of the forums, chat is a core element of the boards.ie experience, and provides both information/feedback about the particular product being "alerted".

So trying to stop people chatting on threads is putting up more barriers and controls which will be a nightmare for admins, plus forcing people to redirect to a chat thread that mixes up discussions on multiple bargain alerts forces them to spend additional time sifting through posts, no doubt missing several relevant ones.

A system of "1 thread per bargain" is simple (it already exists for most Bargain Alert users!).

I suggest a trial-run for 2 weeks? For all the polls and discussions, it's the only way to know if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think it's a case of megathreads are fine for specific supermarkets or specific foodstuffs (booze, steak, veg), but the likes of Argos/Amazon etc. are for occasional purchases and the individual deals need to be highlighted better.

I think it's a case of megathreads are fine for specific supermarkets or specific foodstuffs (booze, steak, veg), but the likes of Argos/Amazon etc. are for occasional purchases and the individual deals need to be highlighted better.

I agree. Sounds like a plan.

Amazon and Argos often have large significant bargains that might only have been spotted by a superthread poster so escapes the notice of the majority.

But a cheap steak? I can forgive missing that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

In my opinion, threads should be by product/bargain, except in the case of offers from supermarkets for core grocery lines. Mega threads would work well for those, where users have some idea of the type of bargains to expect. Non-core items such as electrical etc could still get their own thread.
    Mega threads for the likes of Argos or Amazon give no indication of their content, such is the range of products that they sell. Individual threads for bargains from these types of resellers are much more informative and easier to scan.
    Special interest threads, such as the steaks, could continue for as long as there's interest in them.
    Chat is an integral part of a BA, as a bargain is only a bargain if things like quality, compatibility etc are discussed and understood.
    From reading the previous pages, I think this would go a long way to satisfying a great many users.
    Personally I stay away from the likes of the Argos thread, as I find it hard to follow, and a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. The main BA thread however is compulsive reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Megathreads are hard to follow, the only area there they make sense is when they are limited to one product/service, for example best deal on Iphone 9 where one could scroll to the end to see what is current situation. Tesco/Argos threads are terrible and banning chatter makes it even worse, as lot of interesting info is lost. One of the reasons I would post bargain is to get it criticized, as perhaps I could be wrong and it is not such a bargain after all.

• Advertisement

So, suggested poll questions...

- Keep bargain superthreads as they are
    - Restrict superthreads to grocery bargains (for each shop/food-type? SuperValu superthread / Tesco-food superthread / Booze thread)
    - One thread per bargain

I personally think 2nd one is best.

So if a TV is on sale in Tesco, put it in it's own thread. But if you can save 40c on a packet of cheese, put it in the Tesco grocery thread (do people really put the effort into posting "bargains" like that?!?)

*tumbleweed blows by*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I prefer the mega-threads to individual ones.

but I suppose the question is when do threads/vendors get their own mega-threads?

Maybe if a vendor has a number of bargains spotted by eagle eyed boardsie regularly (rather than a once off sale) a mod (in their infinite discretion) can merge threads to make it a mega (ongoing) thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I'll keep it simple .I like them. Keep them please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So do we have white smoke yet lads?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So do we have white smoke yet lads?

I would have thought we'd need a poll on it with the 3 options:

- Keep bargain superthreads as they are
    - Restrict superthreads to grocery bargains
    - One thread per bargain

and then decide based on majority vote, but haven't heard anything about this so I guess we just wait and see what the decision is from the top?

Regarding when vendor threads are created.. I'd assume this would happen as it currently does and people create new superthreads as required?

We already have the booze thread, the Tesco one can become groceries-only (if that's the way people want to go)... lock the Argos/Amazon superthreads so that people can still see the previous posts but cannot add new posts and instead encourage future Argos/Amazon posts to be one-thread per bargain.

(or not if the majority want to keep it as is... but a lot of people want a change here, hence the whole discussion)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I want to keep the Megas but didn't have a chance to vote on the original poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

I just send a pm to the BA mods requesting to start a Poll. I asked that it might replace the sticky on currently on BA as it would get more feedback there.

that went well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

JustMac wrote: »
    I just send a pm to the BA mods requesting to start a Poll. I asked that it might replace the sticky on currently on BA as it would get more feedback there.

hopefully they'll open a poll so we can get this issue sorted one way or the other

Advertisement